Need help with a spec

Suspended
Monstermunch said:
It's just a shame the crossfire motherboards are so unrealiable and bug ridden!

So are the Nvidia Nforce (problems with SATA drivers, users complaining "never again") So buy what you want, return if unstable. All boards have problems- my 3200 Mosfet whine, brothers Intel P4 Asus has a standby problem, etc.

Do you have a 3200 chipset board? I've also heard DFI are not that stable, and their return support center is not within the UK (Netherlands?)

Associate
OP
So i take it the mushkin route would be best then, as it will run the same as the OCZ 2-3-2 for now, and excell even better if i decide to overclock down the line. I Think it will be one of my choices now :). Although, sorry for asking but what is a divider? lol

So is sli and DFI boards unstable? And no my current pc is only PC2700 ram

Associate
Slyman2k4 said:
So i take it the mushkin route would be best then, as it will run the same as the OCZ 2-3-2 for now, and excell even better if i decide to overclock down the line. I Think it will be one of my choices now :). Although, sorry for asking but what is a divider? lol

A divider will enable you to run the FSB at a percentage of the HTT. For example with the DFI board 280mhz HTT and then run the FSB (ram) at 200mhz DDR if you have PC3200. This enables you to keep the timings tight which in the case of ram is more important than mhz.

Associate
Slyman2k4 said:

The Mushkin Redline is basically the same as the OCZ Platinum PC4000 ram and is exactly the same price.

Personally I don't know which i'd chose cos they're both equally the best ram currently available for an AMD system.

Associate
OP
sorry i was talking about the 3200 OCZ ram, never noticed the 4000 ones :D. If they are the same price and good brand, ill just have to go for looks then, which will have to be red, im hoping to get a red/black theme going :).

Associate
OP
ive decided to be spontaneous and try ATi for a first. So im just going to go with the "LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D" mobo as it seems to be just the same as the "DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR EXPERT" except without all the SLi features, 4 less SATA connections and a 4pin on something instead of a 8pin (cant remember, too tired and closed webpage lol). If im wrong on there being little difference between these boards please correct me :p.

Now, which ATi card to get, im open to suggestions for certain brands and models :). And i really like the one Monster Munch has suggested, and its really within my range too as i dont want to go over £400 for a gfx card just yet :D.

NN chaps, and cheers for helping me getting this far, its really appreciated, and im really excited to be ordering it soon :D

Associate
Just buy any X1900XTX, they're all the same cards with different manufacturer labels on them. The PowerColor XTX is the cheapest one at the moment, £352 inc. :)

Associate
OP
ah, nice one, i think ill just stick with the sapphire one then. Not much left now. Just the case and a few odd bits and bobs.

updated the main post with the ATi setup :)

I Personally have to thank you guys for helping me get this far, especially explicit and Monster Munch. I think im just going to post in the relevant sections for the little things i have left to choose. But thanks a lot chaps and ill let you know how i get on when i get round to ordering it and building it :p

~cheers

Associate
OP
Sorry for bumping this but i was sorting out the car insurance to see how much i had left for the pc before deciding on anything, and it turns out i have more than i expected to. So i was wondering if anyone could suggest anything else i should get with the below, or something from below i should upgrade?

AMD Opteron UP 180 Dual Core San Diego
LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D
Icemat - Black 2nd Edition
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS Edition
Seasonic S12 600W
Western Digital Raptor 150GB
Mushkin 2GB DDR XP4000 Redline Extreme Performance Dual Channel Kit (2x1GB)
GX-113-SP Sapphire ATI Radeon X1900 XT-X
Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro CPU Cooler
Akasa eclipse
120mm akasa amber
Few cathodes and that to light the case (dunno which ill get yet)
Saitek Eclipse special red edition (when its out)

Logitech G5 (Already Bought)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 NCQ 500GB (already bought)

I also wanted to know is all of the above compatible and would it run fine without overclocking? Dont want to overclock it until i read up on it :D. Sorry for asking this again but i really want to make sure my system is 100% safe and happiness guarnteed before i order :D.

Thanks for the help so far guys, its been really great and appreciated.

Associate
OP
yea i was originally go for that, but everyone on here seems to be positive towards opteron. Only problem is i cant find review on it. The reviews only come up as the codename: denmark and not san diego :(.

Associate
Slyman2k4 said:
yea i was originally go for that, but everyone on here seems to be positive towards opteron. Only problem is i cant find review on it. The reviews only come up as the codename: denmark and not san diego :(.
All the 1mb cache per core dual core chips are basically Dual Core San Diego chips. The codename has nothing really to do with the actual core name. If you're looking for benchmarks on the dual core opterons then look for "TOLEDO"

As far as the comparison between the FX57 and the FX60 goes - In single core games the FX57 will be very slightly faster although only really noticable in benchmarks. The real difference will come when games are supporting dual core. Some patches are already planned for big games and Quake4 already has one on beta release I belive which was showing a 60% speed increase over a single core chip at the same speed.

Associate
OP
Monstermunch said:
All the 1mb cache per core dual core chips are basically Dual Core San Diego chips. The codename has nothing really to do with the actual core name. If you're looking for benchmarks on the dual core opterons then look for "TOLEDO"

So basically Denmark and san diego are the same thing, and its all good as long as it says 2mb L2 cache? sorry, got a bit confused on that lol

Associate
Slyman2k4 said:
So basically Denmark and san diego are the same thing, and its all good as long as it says 2mb L2 cache? sorry, got a bit confused on that lol
Yea basically Denmark is just a name, which isn't programmed into the chips. The dual core San Diego's are Toledo cores

Associate
OP
Monstermunch said:
Yea basically Denmark is just a name, which isn't programmed into the chips. The dual core San Diego's are Toledo cores

Ah cheers, ill get the denmark one then :) . I was just afraid of something going horribly wrong and it being a lower spec version of the san diego one or something like that. Worry too much tbh :D

Cheers monstermunch for clearing that one.

Now to decide what accessories and that to get. Should be fun :D

Associate
OP
SiriusB said:
Woah... massive budget there mate and one hell of a spec... I think with what you have left you could probably afford one of these too

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=6944503#post6944503

:p

Alternatively you could give the change to me :D

SiriusB

Cheers and dont know if i could ever have enough data to fill all that lol.

What are you going to give me in return? Dancing semi-nakid is the minimum i will take :D

Back
Top Bottom