Soldato
OP
Believe the cam belt is good for about 100k on a focus none of the old 30~40k
Obviously if its got any service history would help
I think it's one of ford's best cars
And had that cavalier model long time ago really liked it
Think the Isuzu engine ones were bullet proof from memory
And already mentioned but classic cars insurance is an option

What's your opinion on that blue focus I linked above? It's in Waltham Cross which isn't far from me. Got 90K on it. I suppose from what you're saying it could be 10k away from a new belt?

Soldato
What's your opinion on that blue focus I linked above? It's in Waltham Cross which isn't far from me. Got 90K on it. I suppose from what you're saying it could be 10k away from a new belt?
Little over priced perhaps
But not by an amount you couldn't haggle down to 650~700 or so
If you know mechanic they will know better than me
Or the belt may have been done early
It may be 100k or 10 years whichever comes first
Been a while since owned the focus so only going by rough memory

Soldato
OP
Little over priced perhaps
But not by an amount you couldn't haggle down to 650~700 or so
If you know mechanic they will know better than me
Or the belt may have been done early
It may be 100k or 10 years whichever comes first
Been a while since owned the focus so only going by rough memory

Looks pretty clean doesn't it. I'll give the dealer a call tomorrow if he's open.

Caporegime
Buy on condition and service history at this price. Check out the MOT history too.

That focus doesn't have a current MOT. Absolutely insist it has one before even signing anything or putting a deposit down. Ask if you can be there when it's done, ideally at an indie not linked to the garage, and when there ask the mechanic nicely for £20 or £30 for an opinion on the car, not just what's on the MOT test.

Last edited:
Don
Looks pretty clean doesn't it. I'll give the dealer a call tomorrow if he's open.

But unless you know for sure* it's had the cambelt replaced then you need to budget for it to be done, otherwise you could be back at square one.
(It's 100k/10years from memory but can be checked on ford etis online)

By contrast the jazz and Yaris don't have a cambelt to worry about!

* An actual ford service stamp that can be checked with a ford dealer, or an invoice from an independent. Do not accept "yeah it's been done mate" from the current trader.

Soldato
OP
Thanks MissChief. Hmm, no MOT. I might give that one a wide berth!

Armageus, think I might try and stay with Jazz/Yaris. Just one thing. I spoke to my mechanic and he said even a chain drive can break like a cambelt? But in general he recommended Jazz/Yaris over other cars.

Caporegime
Thanks MissChief. Hmm, no MOT. I might give that one a wide berth!

Armageus, think I might try and stay with Jazz/Yaris. Just one thing. I spoke to my mechanic and he said even a chain drive can break like a cambelt? But in general he recommended Jazz/Yaris over other cars.

It doesn't necessarily mean it's bad or will fail. Many Dealers won't MOT a car if the current ticket expires while it's sitting on the forecourt, it's 'wasted' money, especially if it needs work and if it's sitting for another 3-4 months it reduced the length left on the MOT. The trader will get a bit more for '12 months MOT!' compared to '9 months MOT'. Discuss the price, get a wee discount, then advise him you'll add the price of the MOT, assuming it passes, onto the purchase price.

Don
!

They can still break, but it's a lot rarer and you generally get a lot more notice (e.g. they often become noisy first).

Last edited:
Soldato
Is the Quashkai no good then?

My parents-in-law have one, same generation as you're considering (based on your budget), and I've had the displeasure of driving it for a couple thousand km in Swedish winters over the last 4 years. The seating position is sub-par, the gearchange is long and vague, and the steering feels completed disconnected. The steering and suspension set up the car totally fails to give you any sort of confidence in its handling. Furthermore, cabin space in the rear is rather lacking and boot space is compromised by design.

To summarise, they had a 256,000km 1995 Mitsubishi Colt which was a better to drive in every way, handled better, rode better, and was quieter. Qashqai's are hateful and utterly crap.

Soldato
OP
They can still break, but it's a lot rarer and you generally get a lot more notice (e.g. they often become noisy first).

Good to know, thanks.

It doesn't necessarily mean it's bad or will fail. Many Dealers won't MOT a car if the current ticket expires while it's sitting on the forecourt, it's 'wasted' money, especially if it needs work and if it's sitting for another 3-4 months it reduced the length left on the MOT. The trader will get a bit more for '12 months MOT!' compared to '9 months MOT'. Discuss the price, get a wee discount, then advise him you'll add the price of the MOT, assuming it passes, onto the purchase price.

You said it has no current MOT but I just noticed that the blue Focus description says it does?
But still, it's got no service history at all.
Ford Focus
2005 (05 reg)
1.6 LX Hatchback 5dr Petrol Manual (161 g/km, 113 bhp)
Price£790
+7 MONTHS MOT
+ULEZ COMPLIANT+

My parents-in-law have one, same generation as you're considering (based on your budget), and I've had the displeasure of driving it for a couple thousand km in Swedish winters over the last 4 years. The seating position is sub-par, the gearchange is long and vague, and the steering feels completed disconnected. The steering and suspension set up the car totally fails to give you any sort of confidence in its handling. Furthermore, cabin space in the rear is rather lacking and boot space is compromised by design.

To summarise, they had a 256,000km 1995 Mitsubishi Colt which was a better to drive in every way, handled better, rode better, and was quieter. Qashqai's are hateful and utterly crap.

In that case, what would be recommended instead of a Qashkai with similar styling and spec? What about Hyundai Tucson?

Last edited:
Soldato
Good to know, thanks.

You said it has no current MOT but I just noticed that the blue Focus description says it does?
Ford Focus
2005 (05 reg)
1.6 LX Hatchback 5dr Petrol Manual (161 g/km, 113 bhp)
Price£790
+7 MONTHS MOT
+ULEZ COMPLIANT+

In that case, what would be recommended instead of a Qashkai with similar styling and spec? What about Hyundai Tucson?
Had both a qasqai 1.5 diesel
and a tuscon 1.7 diesel
Definitely preferred the tuscon any day

Soldato
OP
Had both a qasqai 1.5 diesel
and a tuscon 1.7 diesel
Definitely preferred the tuscon any day

Here's another one I'm considering. My niece has a white Kia Sportage, quite a new one I think. I've been in it a few times and I think it's really stunning. I've just looked on auto trader and can get a 1.6 petrol under 50K around 2012 to 2015 for under £8000. What's the opinion on Sportage?

Soldato
Here's another one I'm considering. My niece has a white Kia Sportage, quite a new one I think. I've been in it a few times and I think it's really stunning. I've just looked on auto trader and can get a 1.6 petrol under 50K around 2012 to 2015 for under £8000. What's the opinion on Sportage?
Not driven one
My friend hated it said suspension was too hard for that type of car suv/crossover
Especially given the state of the roads lately
She got a crv instead though obviously second hand crv may cost more
But she loves the crv

Soldato
OP
I bought a car! :)

My mobile mechanic got in touch today with a dealer he knows that is trustworthy and sells decent cars. The dealer has a 2002 Mondeo, 74K, automatic for £850. And a 2007 Toyota Auris 1.6 petrol, one owner, MOT till next April with 98K for £1395. My. mechanic went along to check them both out for me. He said they're both good but recommended the Auris. No funny noises, drives nicely and basically what he calls good risk.

For me, the Mondeo was decent mileage and in my budget, but auto gearbox and 2 litre, possibly risky and not very economical.

The Auris is twice my budget but I thought, meh, it's a good car and worth stretching to. So the dealer is bringing it to my house tomorrow and I'll buy it. There's no negotiating space on the price.

This is the one I'm buying.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...ce&price-to=1500&make=TOYOTA&radius=30&page=1

I did an online quote with my insurers to transfer my policy to the Auris and it's an extra £122.

Caporegime
I bought a car! :)

My mobile mechanic got in touch today with a dealer he knows that is trustworthy and sells decent cars. The dealer has a 2002 Mondeo, 74K, automatic for £850. And a 2007 Toyota Auris 1.6 petrol, one owner, MOT till next April with 98K for £1395. My. mechanic went along to check them both out for me. He said they're both good but recommended the Auris. No funny noises, drives nicely and basically what he calls good risk.

For me, the Mondeo was decent mileage and in my budget, but auto gearbox and 2 litre, possibly risky and not very economical.

The Auris is twice my budget but I thought, meh, it's a good car and worth stretching to. So the dealer is bringing it to my house tomorrow and I'll buy it. There's no negotiating space on the price.

This is the one I'm buying.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202003088152913?postcode=n32rl&price-from=500&model=AURIS&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&advertising-location=at_cars&sort=relevance&price-to=1500&make=TOYOTA&radius=30&page=1

I did an online quote with my insurers to transfer my policy to the Auris and it's an extra £122.

There's no negotiating room on the price because he knows you'll buy it at the price he has it for sale. :)

According to the DVSA there's a recall due on that car, might be worth some investigating.

Soldato
OP
There's no negotiating room on the price because he knows you'll buy it at the price he has it for sale. :)

According to the DVSA there's a recall due on that car, might be worth some investigating.

I think that's getting unnecessarily a bit negative to be honest. :) I trust my mechanics opinion, I've bought cars on his word before and they've been good. So I'm not even going to worry about DVSA. Can't be bothered to mess around with this anymore. You're probably right about no negotiating room, but even my mechanic said he is unlikely to reduce the price because there's no profit for him otherwise. The dealer told me he'd normally sell it for closer to £1800 if there wasn't a lockdown.

Associate
I think that's getting unnecessarily a bit negative to be honest. :) I trust my mechanics opinion, I've bought cars on his word before and they've been good. So I'm not even going to worry about DVSA. Can't be bothered to mess around with this anymore. You're probably right about no negotiating room, but even my mechanic said he is unlikely to reduce the price because there's no profit for him otherwise. The dealer told me he'd normally sell it for closer to £1800 if there wasn't a lockdown.

Why wouldn't you sort out the recall? Toyota will rectify the issue free of charge so surely it's a no brainer?

Back
Top Bottom