Need help with stop gap car

Soldato
OP
Could I have a refund for the amount of time I spent trying to help you out? :p

£100/hr :p

'grats on the purchase, hope it serves you well :)

Indeed, cheque's in the post! :D Thanks sigma, appreciate your observations. Well, scrap dealers are picking up my peugeot on Thursday and giving me the grand sum of £144! My insurance will transfer to the Toyota on that day. It's currently sitting on the road under the dealers insurance but I decided not to drive it until Thursday. And then we'll see how it goes. One thing I'll miss... no armrest. I'm so used to resting my left arm on a pull down rest in the 307. Guess I'll get used to it.

Caporegime
I'd rather drive the old Cav than a Trashqai to be honest. :p

But don't buy it. I imagine the only reason it is 575 not 175 is because it is something approaching desirable because of its age.

You can get a very decent car for 700 quid.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202004138936391?atmobcid=soc3

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202003148409192?atmobcid=soc3

Or indeed a half decent car for half that.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202004048858853?atmobcid=soc3

If course buying a car under lockdown is interesting. I guess it could be seen as essential travel though if you need a car for work etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
crikey .. only 7 cavaliers on autotrader I can see .. maybe the are still well made, but the 2.0i 8V's , had good low down torque, drove fine, 40+ mpg

Soldato
OP
I'm ignorant, I don't get the acme joke.

I'd rather drive the old Cav than a Trashqai to be honest. :p

In all honesty, I think the Qashkai looks really nice. Just for fun, because I don't have the funds at the moment, I've looked at a few on autotrader. There was one I saw that I'd buy in a heartbeat if I had the money now. It's got 36K, I think it's 2015, 1.2 petrol, full service history, satnav, my favourite colour red, it's got the 'right' alloys, it's not been a writeoff, and priced just under £10K. Saw another I liked but higher mileage. But looked awesome, it's white with black alloys.

My first thought was, all these petrol Qashkais have 1.2 engines, surely that's gotta be crap with a hard working engine and high revving. But apparently it's actually good and replaced a 1.6 in the previous model. What's people's thoughts on that?

What's people's thoughts on autotrader motors that have got the 'Cat' symbol, such as Cat N where it says a car was written off but there was no structural damage. Are they simply a no no? My thought is that I wouldn't touch a car like that with any 'cat' with a barge pole. But, does anyone here think that it can also be a good thing, like a bargain because often the car is fairly new, not used much and mileage is really low? Has anyone here ever bought a non structurally affected write off and had success?

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm ignorant, I don't get the acme joke.

In all honesty, I think the Qashkai looks really nice. Just for fun, because I don't have the funds at the moment, I've looked at a few on autotrader. There was one I saw that I'd buy in a heartbeat if I had the money now. It's got 36K, I think it's 2015, 1.2 petrol, full service history, satnav, my favourite colour red, it's got the 'right' alloys, it's not been a writeoff, and priced just under £10K.

My first thought was, all these petrol Qashkais have 1.2 engines, surely that's gotta be crap with a hard working engine and high revving. But apparently it's actually good and replaced a 1.6 in the previous model. What's people's thoughts on that?

What's people's thoughts on autotrader motors that have got the 'Cat' symbol, such as Cat N where it says a car was written off but there was no structural damage. My thought is that I wouldn't touch a car like that with any 'cat' with a barge pole. But, does anyone here think that it can also be a good thing, like a bargain because often the car is fairly new, not used much and mileage is really low? Has anyone here bought a write off and had success?
The 1.2 qasqai fine around town
Drove one fully loaded from Kent to Scotland
It ******* sucked like **** and was something I would never ******* do again
In my life
Was having to drop from 6th to 3rd at some points to make the ******* thing keep momentum
Shame redlining it didn't blow the ******* engine up as would rather have been towed all the way
Total piece of **** for that kind of journey with 4 people loaded
Can you tell I didn't like it. :D:D

Soldato
OP
The 1.2 qasqai fine around town
Drove one fully loaded from Kent to Scotland
It ******* sucked like **** and was something I would never ******* do again
In my life
Was having to drop from 6th to 3rd at some points to make the ******* thing keep momentum
Shame redlining it didn't blow the ******* engine up as would rather have been towed all the way
Total piece of **** for that kind of journey with 4 people loaded
Can you tell I didn't like it. :D:D

Woa, really that bad huh? :p Surely that can't be everyone's experience though? It's a pretty popular car isn't it?

Soldato
Woa, really that bad huh? :p Surely that can't be everyone's experience though? It's a pretty popular car isn't it?
Around town 1.2 was perfectly fine
To be fair I had 4 people and 2 large suitcases loaded
And there's a lot of steep climbs from Kent to Scotland
But it's something I have done many times in different cars and none of the others had slightest problem
For most peoples usage probably fine
When I got back took it back to Nissan
Who just said oh its an urban car
It's not designed to do that lmao
Changed it for the 1.5 diesel version
Which strolled up the same journey with no problems at all

Soldato
OP
Around town 1.2 was perfectly fine
To be fair I had 4 people and 2 large suitcases loaded
And there's a lot of steep climbs from Kent to Scotland
But it's something I have done many times in different cars and none of the others had slightest problem
For most peoples usage probably fine
When I got back took it back to Nissan
Who just said oh its an urban car
It's not designed to do that lmao
Changed it for the 1.5 diesel version
Which strolled up the same journey with no problems at all

About the 1.2 engine, did it feel like a 1.2 or did it feel bigger to you, like it could have been a 1.6? For me, I carry a drumkit consisting of 9 cases which I transported regularly each weekend on my 307. Mostly within 30 miles of home. That's the heaviest load I ever do really. Mind you, I've never driven from Kent to Scotland.

Soldato
About the 1.2 engine, did it feel like a 1.2 or did it feel bigger to you, like it could have been a 1.6? For me, I carry a drumkit consisting of 9 cases which I transported regularly each weekend on my 307. Mostly within 30 miles of home. That's the heaviest load I ever do really. Mind you, I've never driven from Kent to Scotland.
Around town yeah probably felt like could be a 1.4
But dual carriageway/national speed limit/motorway in 6th,5th when loaded hitting any sort of hill felt like I had
Dropped an anchor
Even in 4th on some of the steepest hills
Going up a66 for example

Soldato
OP
Around town yeah probably felt like could be a 1.4
But dual carriageway/national speed limit/motorway in 6th,5th when loaded hitting any sort of hill felt like I had
Dropped an anchor
Even in 4th on some of the steepest hills
Going up a66 for example

Hmm, interesting. Well, if others report similar struggling with their Quashkai then I'll need to reconsider and go for something else like a Sportage. I think I defintely want an SUV style car, don't know what else is out there in my price range between about £7K to 9K, petrol, economical, satnav, and well regarded here.

Pity. I think the Qashkai looks slightly more elegant than the Sportage which is slightly more boxy looking to my eyes. But still really nice.

I'll only go for a petrol car though to avoid new ULEZ rules when they come in next year. I don't want to be paying regular charges for using the north circ or just generally driving in London. What a PITA this whole diesel thing is, eh. But at least unleaded is cheaper, that's something.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hmm, interesting. Well, if others report similar struggling with their Quashkai then I'll need to reconsider and go for something else like a Sportage. I think I defintely want an SUV style car, don't know what else is out there in my price range between about £7K to 9K, petrol, economical, satnav, and well regarded here.

Pity. I think the Qashkai looks slightly more elegant than the Sportage which is slightly more boxy looking to my eyes. But still really nice.

I'll only go for a petrol car though to avoid new ULEZ rules when they come in next year. I don't want to be paying regular charges for using the north circ or just generally driving in London. What a PITA this whole diesel thing is, eh. But at least unleaded is cheaper, that's something.
Obviously my experience was different from most people who wouldn't be driving 500 miles fully loaded
But you can probably imagine how stressed I was after over 1,000 miles of underpowered driving
No idea how much your drumkit weighs though
After the qasqai I got a tuscon though diesel but liked it a lot more than the 1.5 diesel qasqai just felt like more room in it
More spec for the money, no charge for updating my sat nav when Nissan wanted 200 quid to do it
After that an x~trail though that's probably more than you need though
Also had a c~max that was really good to drive though firm suspension meant it turned out no use after I popped a couple of discs in my back
Had a lot of different cars lol
Still fondly remember my old Isuzu powered cavalier and the old diesel mondeos back when cars were simpler and you could actually do repairs yourself lol

Soldato
OP
A little bit of my life went to the crusher yesterday. *tear*. Farewell Pug, you've been a good car for 13 years.

20200416-101328.jpg

Soldato
wasn't a 307 in the same mold as a 306 in terms of handling ...mate had one of those 1.6 petrol - nimble handling .. didn't fall apart
- or ... is it the fidelity, you can't get your head around. ? need a thread on the longest you have owned a car
yes, probably not as nice a handling as your e30

Caporegime
wasn't a 307 in the same mold as a 306 in terms of handling ...mate had one of those 1.6 petrol - nimble handling .. didn't fall apart
- or ... is it the fidelity, you can't get your head around. ? need a thread on the longest you have owned a car
yes, probably not as nice a handling as your e30

The 307 was very widely regarded as a significant step down from the 306 in just about every regard. Except, perhaps, size.

Back
Top Bottom