• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Need some help with Crossfire MSI 290x Please :)

Associate
OP
Makes sense to i think. At least try it and if you don't like it, get rid and sell for £100+ on the MM or an auction site.

Yep, Hope it sorts out the gpu usage issues. My BF4 GPU usage when using xfire is all over the place. Ill try it tonight and get a pic of AB if I can.

Caporegime
Haha superb. Let me know how it goes. Await some testing :)

Just installed. Went without a hitch, about to do some testing. Looks and feels like a quality psu, but its not Modular. Guess there had to be some catch with the price we paid. Not bothered personally, you? No coil whine on the psu so far.

SeusStG.jpg

DneTZfR.jpg

Associate
Currently I have each card connected by one cable from the PSU. So 1 connector to the PSU and then it splits to 2 x 8pins. I will check in the PSU box to see if there are another 2 such cables and run these so effectively each card has 2 rails? (Does that make sense) :)

Hi Djay.

Sorry to dig up past comments but did you try this at all? I have always been led to beleive you should not use 1 cable and then split it to run graphics cards that require two seperate rails ( in your case 4 as your running crossfire)

This would be my guess as to what the problem would have been because the rail the card is running on would be overloaded as soon as the graphics card ramped up...

if you did try this and it made no difference ignore me..

Associate
OP
Hi Djay.

Sorry to dig up past comments but did you try this at all? I have always been led to beleive you should not use 1 cable and then split it to run graphics cards that require two seperate rails ( in your case 4 as your running crossfire)

This would be my guess as to what the problem would have been because the rail the card is running on would be overloaded as soon as the graphics card ramped up...

if you did try this and it made no difference ignore me..

Hi mate, unfortunately yes I did try this and it was no different. :(

I was hoping for a Modular PSU so I could just have the cables out that were needed. However if it does the trick it's irrelevent.

Associate
OP
Question for whyscotty, how does this PSU:

SuperFlower Leadex Platinum 1200W Fully Modular "80 Plus Platinum"

Compare to the one we have ordered? I do prefer modular if Im hones, plus I am fairly impatient :)

It's turned up now. Ill try it tonight and see how we go :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
^ Ha arrived same day as mine.

Well im happy with mine, my psu is no longer the weakest part of my pc. Now im held back by the reference cooler and temps. :D

I've been up at 950W+ without any problems. PSU is quiet and has no coil whine can't complain.

Associate
OP
Ltmatt, does that look right to you below? That is my GPU Usage when playing BF4 in Crossfire?

gsep.png

Back
Top Bottom