Need Super Ultrawide Help

Soldato
Right.

Covid happened. I now do a lot of work from home. I need something great for office use - but also for gaming one or two nights a week.

Initially I bought a pair of Hannspree hg324qjb monitors. They are actually surprisingly good, but I saw a good offer on the Dell S2721DGF monitors, and swapped them for a trio of those.

The dell monitors were great, but two arrived damaged. Dell ended up giving me a full refund as they couldn't source replacements for over a month.

So I now need a new plan, and I think I'd prefer to get a single Super ultrawide monitor, sort of 40"+

All of these previous monitors have been 1440p. I have been seriously considering the Asus ROG Strix XG43VQ, but I'm a bit sad it isn't 1440p, and thats going to lose me a decent amount of vertical real estate. Sadly I do quite a bit of spreadsheet work.

I had considered the Samsung G9 49", but I'm not convinced I can justify spending a grand again. I think ideally I want to be Sub £800 all in, but if it is really worth it, I will spend more.

I would prefer IPS, HDR, curved screen, high refresh rate, and 1440p.

I'll be connecting:

M1 MBA, the Desktop PC with an 5700XT, and a MBP 2020 i5 ... all of these should be able to drive big displays... The 5700XT will get swapped out with a 6800XT as soon as this stock madness calms down.

Thoughts? Ideally personal recommendations opposed to 'I've read a review' ....

Soldato
OP
I've found this one for £850 all in - LC49RG90SSUXEN - I can't see past it now ... Not convinced the G9 is worth ~£300 more

Associate
I work from home with a 35" ultrawide 1440p and while its great, UW doesn't even come close to replacing multi monitor for easy window mangement.
I still use a second 27" monitor and would be lost without it, I don't think the extra width on even bigger monitors would make any difference here either.

ZP9

ZP9

Associate
I work from home with a 35" ultrawide 1440p and while its great, UW doesn't even come close to replacing multi monitor for easy window mangement.
I still use a second 27" monitor and would be lost without it, I don't think the extra width on even bigger monitors would make any difference here either.

Thats where a 49" ultrawide comes in, as it essentially breaks down into 2 27" monitors

Soldato

I'm with you on this tbh. I've had the Acer XR34 for .... 5?... maybe even 6 years now... and I've always needed a second monitor. Just ordered the AW3821DW to finally replace the XR34 - but there's still no way I could get rid of the second monitor. The physical separation is very useful tbh.

ZP9

ZP9

Associate
I'm with you on this tbh. I've had the Acer XR34 for .... 5?... maybe even 6 years now... and I've always needed a second monitor. Just ordered the AW3821DW to finally replace the XR34 - but there's still no way I could get rid of the second monitor. The physical separation is very useful tbh.

Really? For example, would you not use a 49" ultrawide like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8q815JZoWg

Its the exact same as using 2 27" monitors except there is no bezel in the middle

Soldato
Not saying it's not possible to use it like that, just doesn't work as well for me as having a second monitor as well ;)

ZP9

ZP9

Associate
Not saying it's not possible to use it like that, just doesn't work as well for me as having a second monitor as well ;)

Thats what I dont get, surely its the exact same thing as having 2 monitors?

Soldato
OP
Glad you like it Con, enjoy!! :cool:

3080/6800XT would pair well with it...

Thats my plan, swap my 3900X for a 5900X and then get a 6800XT to take over from my 5700XT. Just need to wait for this stupidity on prices to calm down !

Is there any software to manage the windows? I've seen people managing to snap them to "27 inch 1440p Equivalent" with some software, but I can't work out what it is.

Associate
Thats my plan, swap my 3900X for a 5900X and then get a 6800XT to take over from my 5700XT. Just need to wait for this stupidity on prices to calm down !

Is there any software to manage the windows? I've seen people managing to snap them to "27 inch 1440p Equivalent" with some software, but I can't work out what it is.

If you are on Windows look for Windows Powertoys, there is a toy called FancyZones that can enable you setup snapping zones on the screens...

Associate
If you are on Windows look for Windows Powertoys, there is a toy called FancyZones that can enable you setup snapping zones on the screens...

Awesome, thank you. I recently purchased the same monitor as Conanius and love it. Powertoys makes managing zones so much better as Windows is still rubbish! FancyZones is a doddle!

DHR

DHR

Soldato
I'm in pretty much the same boat as you, although I'm using a single 32" at the moment, I'm worried about losing that height so interested to see how you get on.

I use a surface for conferencing to one side so I'm not overly concerned about that.

Have you found any drawbacks from the office productivity side of things?

ZP9

ZP9

Associate
I've found this one for £850 all in - LC49RG90SSUXEN - I can't see past it now ... Not convinced the G9 is worth ~£300 more

If this had 240hz I would jump on it in a heartbeat... Im really hoping that the successor to this has the 240hz instead of 120hz, and also better HDR performance... If it does, thats my dream one

Top Bottom