• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Need the Professionals Help!!!!

Associate
I've just bought a Nvidia 7900gt 256mb gfx card and i thought i would have ago of installing it myself.
One of the problems i thought i would encounter was that my power supply wouldn't be up to the job, It's a 450w (no real make) it was a generic one that came with the case
Anyways to cut a long story short i installed the graphics card connected all the essentials and booted it up.On the first boot the graphics card wasn't recognised and inturn just rebooted it self over and over again until i had to hold down the power button to switch it off. On the second boot windows loaded up fine and the recognised new hardware bubble popped up, but then i had the dreaded BSOD.
All i want to know is this my incompetance of fitting a gfx card or is this a power supply issue?
Any advice would be grateful thanks!

Caporegime
Indeed

Why do people forget that the PSU is the most important component of a pc!

Upgrade that PSU and get a decent one

Seasonic S12 430W Silent ATX2.0 Power Supply cost just over 50 quid.There really is no excuse.

Associate
OP
easyrider said:
USE generic PSU's at your own risk.

The only psu's I will use that come with cases are the ANTEC one's.

You can even get a new case with a 400 w ANTEC PSU for 60 quid!

Thanks for the advice! at least i know for sure what my problem is. I'll just buy a new power supply rather than the case aswell.

Soldato
Smalltownboy said:
Thanks for the advice! at least i know for sure what my problem is. I'll just buy a new power supply rather than the case aswell.
It would have been good to provide the specs of the PSU to rule it out. But if sure then I recommend you either go for Enermax or Tagan or Seasonic or FSP (Sparkle) brand PSU ;)

EDIT

Last edited:
Associate
Smalltownboy said:

Unless the psu is faulty it would be nieve to presume that it is definately the psu that is your problem. I would try 'borrow' a branded psu from a friend to test first.

Caporegime
Smalltownboy said:
Asrock Dual Sata II motherboard
AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core
2gb dual channel DDR 400 ram

Thats a nice rig and you are using a generic PSU?

ARE YOU MAD !

No seriously,You have spent a fair bit there and forget the one component that drives it all! :eek:

Associate
Needs one or its good advise ? These forums are to assist peple from past experience through 'fault finding'. Sure its easy to say replace a component, but dude may come back and say like psu still not working what now. Sure hes got a new psu, but hes still got a problem. I might be jumping the gun here, but not everyone is loaded and since conroe has raised its nasty head everyone has just pushed 'buy a new rig - conroe rules' (including myself) its easy to provide constructive advise without budget constraints.

Apologies for frankness, but we should try to help others as far as possible.

Caporegime
wizardmaxx said:
Needs one or its good advise ? These forums are to assist peple from past experience through 'fault finding'. Sure its easy to say replace a component, but dude may come back and say like psu still not working what now. Sure hes got a new psu, but hes still got a problem. I might be jumping the gun here, but not everyone is loaded and since conroe has raised its nasty head everyone has just pushed 'buy a new rig - conroe rules' (including myself) its easy to provide constructive advise without budget constraints.

Apologies for frankness, but we should try to help others as far as possible.

I don't care using a genric PSU with that rig is maddness.Pure and simple.

He's asking for trouble.

50 quid on a new PSU with that rig is nothing but imperative.
It will make his problem go away.

Associate
If the PSU is his actual problem i will personally apologise to you, it the principal of the forums and their purpose. No doubt a high end psu is the way to go, no arguements there, but the post hasn't even atempted a proper second or third solution to the problem.

Back
Top Bottom