Need to shed 4 stone, help and advice needed

Soldato
Pretty good, apart from today (cheeky nandos) I have been cutting out any refined sugar, walking at lunchtimes and getting the odd bike ride in every now and then.

I haven't weighed myself since I started though. Birthday weekend this weekend so probably going to put it all back on.

I was nearly 14 stone 29 days ago, lost 7lbs so far. Stick to vodka/soda and chicken this weekend if you can :D

Associate
cut out sugar. :)
drink a lot of water!

I joined slimming world, it really opens your eyes to cooking properly and watching what you eat. It works, cus its a lifestyle change not a fad diet.

i have to agree here my wife joined slimming world mid last year and has gone from a size 20 to a 14.
And thats with just cooking and eating properly.
Its all about life style change and whats good and bad for you

Soldato
Having managed to lose 3 1/2 stone since January I feel quite well qualified to comment here.

As some people have said, first and foremost is sort out your eating. For me this has been the key, yes I have added some exercise to my previously very sedentary lifestyle but the bulk of my weight lose has been down to sorting out my eating and my calorie intake.

I've done this simply by using myfitnesspal. It's free and a very simple way of keeping tabs on wheat you're eating, and before long it's second nature and you start to look at things in a different way as you start to see how many calories different foods have.

One example for you from my experience. Take Lindt Lindor, now before I started watching what I was eating, I could happily demolish however big a box of these was put in front of me, very easy to eat and delicious. Also 80 calories each, so polishing off 10 which I could do without a second thought would be 800 calories, or approximately half my calorie allowance for the whole day!!

My other recommendation would be to lose weight with other people if you can. At my work there are four of us who are working on our weight loss. We all get weighed in at the same time each week and are there to support and encourage each other, which has been hugely helpful. It's good to have some accountability as you want to be able to go to the weigh in feeling hopeful that you've done well and can share in that positive feeling with others. Also, it's great if you've had a bad week for whatever reason and there are people to support you if you're feeling a bit rubbish about it etc.

We all use myfitnesspal and have opened up our diaries and feeds to each other so we can see what we've al been eating and congratulate each other on a good day or when we've done a good amount of exercise etc.

My other advice would be to ensure you're drinking plenty, for me this has been a massive difference and has really helped fuel my weightloss!!

Good luck with it.

Associate
lost 10 stone myself over 3 years I ended up going on a calorie controlled diet and gym/riding my bike 5 days a week 3 years on I have sort of tuned in to a calorie freak,

keep it up

Soldato
I don't tend to drink sugary drinks that often, always water with meals. My main downfall is breakfast and lunches. The hot breakfasts at work are so cheap I always tend to go for that then a cereal or porridge. I just can't deal with porridge. Lunches are usually a baguette or wrap but always have crisps and chocs for snacks too. Dinners are usually good with salmon n vegetables or chicken n vegetables. Weekends can sometimes be bad too with a pizza and beer.

Definitely need to work on breakfast and lunch though. Any food ideas would be good too, that don't cost the earth or need loads of ingredients.

Where i work we can have food delivered to our desk and i have a hot breakfast every morning but it doesnt have to be bad. I have 2 poached egg, 2 wholemeal toast, 2 quorn sausage. Gets you that cooked breakfast feeling yet has a pretty decent macro count.

Soldato
You'd use it in place of a meal as a convenience thing rather than a replacement for all meals. It's really quite good for people with hectic jobs or those that are on the road a lot as a way of getting easy calories / decent macros in. I think people have lived off it as an experiment but that sort of inflexible, unvaried (and expensive) approach isn't sustainable unless you're a robot.

Soldato
You'd use it in place of a meal as a convenience thing rather than a replacement for all meals. It's really quite good for people with hectic jobs or those that are on the road a lot as a way of getting easy calories / decent macros in. I think people have lived off it as an experiment but that sort of inflexible, unvaried (and expensive) approach isn't sustainable unless you're a robot.

Seen mixed views about it, does it assist weight loss?

Permabanned
OP - how much weight have you lost so far? You started this thread in April saying you was 16.5 stone so approximately 12 weeks ago and needed to lose 4 stone, I would say you could have lost 2lb or maybe 3lbs a week depending on exercise and how strict you have been so let's go with 2lb a week over 12 weeks.. 24lb .. So you should be nearly 2 stone lighter by now.. 14 stone 9?

Soldato
^ What tom said.

Weight loss comes down to energy balance. Calorie deficit = weight loss, surplus = weight gain, somewhere in between = weight maintennence. After that it's the size of the deficit/surplus and where those cals are coming from and what kind of activity your body is subject to that'll influence where that weight los/gains is coming from (e.g. you can lose weight but it can come from loss of muscle tissue, bone density etc).

The selling point of Huel is that for a meal replacement shake the nutritional content is good, it's filling (very important when dieting as you WILL get hungry) and it has decent 'macros' - macronutrients which are protein, carbohydrate and fat (all calories are made up of macros with the first two being 4 calories per gram and fat being 9 calories a gram). Thus as a convinience meal, say a work lunch when you struggle to eat either healthy good due to availability or haven't got the opportunity to sit down at a table etc and a serving being the same cals each time it's good.

Associate
OP - how much weight have you lost so far? You started this thread in April saying you was 16.5 stone so approximately 12 weeks ago and needed to lose 4 stone, I would say you could have lost 2lb or maybe 3lbs a week depending on exercise and how strict you have been so let's go with 2lb a week over 12 weeks.. 24lb .. So you should be nearly 2 stone lighter by now.. 14 stone 9?

AWOL.......

it's not hard to lose fat. you just have to eat less. like you say. 2lb per week is easily doable. you'd lose fat if you just ate at your BMR alone.. especially with moving/commuting each day. and it would fly off if you ate a couple hundred calories below that - if you are obese and taking vitamins/minerals the body would fuel the deficit from bodyfat. just make sure you hit your protein and fat macros for the diet.

you don't even have to exercise. though some body squats and push ups won't hurt.

most fat people have zero will power and patience.. and make excuses for eating at every opportunity. they don't have the passion or drive to change. once you get that though nothing will stop you getting lean.

Soldato
OP
Hey, I'm here. Been a stressful month. Major issues with car been making my life a misery. Work has been manic too and was doing 60hrs a week working. Working through lunches too. Haven't weighed myself in ages but been trying to keep food limited. Started playing football again this week which didn't think I'll go back to. I'll weigh in next week and let you all know. Doubt much has come off though as don't feel it.

Soldato
Hey, I'm here. Been a stressful month. Major issues with car been making my life a misery. Work has been manic too and was doing 60hrs a week working. Working through lunches too. Haven't weighed myself in ages but been trying to keep food limited. Started playing football again this week which didn't think I'll go back to. I'll weigh in next week and let you all know. Doubt much has come off though as don't feel it.

So what did the scales say? Do shed any timber?

Back
Top Bottom