Nerds assemble! Raspberry pi close to launch date.

Last night I received an email from Farnell.
Estimated delivery: 14/5/2012

When did you order?
If you've had an earlier delivery date quoted before, the new 1 is a mistake.

farnell FAQ said:
Q: I got an email from Farnell element14 stating that my delivery date for the Raspberry Pi I ordered is now into May or June, is this correct?

A: Sorry! We updated the data in our system so that new customers placing their pre-order would be advised of the delivery date at the end of May or beginning of June. If you originally had an estimated delivery date in March or April, your delivery estimate is still as per the original communication.

If its your first delivery quote, then it's correct.

When did you order?
If you've had an earlier delivery date quoted before, the new 1 is a mistake.

If its your first delivery quote, then it's correct.

Thanks for that.

I ordered on the 1/3/2012.

I just checked my emails and have seen the first quoted date, somehow I missed it. States 23/4/2012. Not too bad I suppose!

If they are now quoting prospective customers a June delivery date, I think that is a pretty poor show.

I understand that the actual order and manufacturer process is being handled directly by Farnell and RS who have presumably had some prior experience in this sort of thing, but it does look as if everyone has been 'caught on the hop' by the level of interest currently being shown... but was this really that unexpected?

We are told that the product is already in production, which implies that the initial groundwork has already been done, so I would not have thought it was that difficult to increase production output, at least to an extent that it was not necessary for them to have to quote such long delivery times.

I am still waiting to hear back from either company, so that I can actually place an order for one!

If they are now quoting prospective customers a June delivery date, I think that is a pretty poor show.

There has been over 2 million orders/registers of interest. To supply all of those orders by the start of June, they need to produce 16 units per second.

I agree that it's frustrating having to wait so long to get one, but there was no other way it could be done. With hindsight, we can see that they could have sold at least 10 times the number of units they actually produced. But it would be silly to risk making that many and having them lying unsold.

There has been over 2 million orders/registers of interest. To supply all of those orders by the start of June, they need to produce 16 units per second.

I agree that it's frustrating having to wait so long to get one, but there was no other way it could be done. With hindsight, we can see that they could have sold at least 10 times the number of units they actually produced. But it would be silly to risk making that many and having them lying unsold.

also being able to afford that much stock would have been a pipe dream for a team this small.

I'd love to get one - I have a monitor sitting under my bed collecting dust and I'd love to be able to connect it to a tiny computer and have it display stock charts etc. I'm sure v.2 with a case and some software will be on my christmas list.

Being an impatient chap, I was getting a bit fed up waiting to hear from RS or Farnell, so decided to give them a call, and was quite surprised when I rang Farnell to be put straight through to a very helpful chap who who said he would take my order details over the phone.

He subsequently gave me a customer ID number, plus an order reference number, and even offered me a free t-shirt.

Although he mentioned a possible delivery date of the end of April, I am sure that will slip by quite a few weeks, but at least I am now 'in the queue' .... result! :)

I have now received an order confirmation from Farnell... Estimated Delivery Date: W/C 4/06/2012 :eek:

Another surprise was the final total:
Goods 24.55
HANDLING CHARGE 5.95
VAT 6.10
Total 36.60 GBP

There was no mention of the free t-shirt either! :(

It certainly is! I have no idea what the additional 'Handling Charge' is for... I will give them a call tomorrow to find out.

Edit: Apparently it is a delivery charge, as I placed the order over the phone, rather than on-line (although I wasn't made aware of this at the time) and a nice lady is currently trying to sort this out for me!

Apparently all orders being placed from today onwards are now being given an estimated delivery date of w/c 16th July 2012! :eek:

Last edited:
Balls :/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03/08/raspberry_pi_delayed_networking/

Shipments of the long-awaited and heavily fought over Raspberry Pi boards could be delayed thanks to a manufacturing ****-up.

The assembly lines churning out the first 10,000 units used the wrong kind of RJ45 networking jack, according to the team behind the $35 Linux computer, and the parts will need to be replaced before they can be posted to punters.

Specifically, the boards should use sockets with built-in transformers to isolate the delicate circuitry from whatever voltage is put down the cables; the factory used to build the Raspberry Pi instead ordered jacks without the so-called magnetics.

Yeah, i saw that yesterday.
I dont think it's going to have a big effect on anybody here, just the people who managed to get one of the first 10000 might have to wait a couple more days.

Hmm - what will arrive first - my AmigaOne X1000 or my RapserberryPi?

It feels like being back in the 80's again - viva la revolution!

Whooo got RS email

Dear Customer

Congratulations! We’re pleased to let you know that you are in the first batch of our registrations for Raspberry Pi. This will mean you will be one of the first to place your order as we are offering Raspberry Pi boards on a first come first served basis and are limiting orders to one per customer. You will shortly receive an invitation to place your order so to help ensure you get your Raspberry Pi as quickly as possible we now require some further information on where you want your Pi delivered.

Please note: we will be accepting payment via Visa Mastercard (credit or debit cards included) or PayPal.

To get the latest updates on Raspberry Pi from RS, follow @RSElectronics on Twitter, or visit our FAQ pages at DesignSpark

Thank you for your continued interest and once again many congratulations.

:D

Back
Top Bottom