Nerds assemble! Raspberry pi close to launch date.

It's a port, it could theoretically get all of it working on an x86 platform. It would also require a second port for ARM, what they might just end up doing is porting the normal Android for it. It is entirely possible that we get a well working android port for the PI that has full functionality.

First it's not x86 ts arm, there's allread software that runs on x86 and does it all. Windows, apple as well as a lotof more custom stuff. But x6 is big and power hungry. I allready have an x86 HTPC which does it all, I've still sgned up for cotton candy, as it stays hidden behind tv and draw little power, no fans.

It's a port, it could theoretically get all of it working on an x86 platform. It would also require a second port for ARM, what they might just end up doing is porting the normal Android for it. It is entirely possible that we get a well working android port for the PI that has full functionality.

The Pi won't run Flash, which is needed for the services Glaucus is talking about, for as long as the source is closed, and probably not even if Adobe open source it as the CPU side of things is too weak.

But as said, only really an issue if A) You want to use the Pi for a HTPC and B) You care about the relatively low quality streaming services.

readywbl.jpg

And Now We Wait!!! :)

Just got this

Hello to all our Raspberry Pi followers - UPDATE ALERT!

Firstly, we are very grateful for all the patience you have shown as we deal with the tremendous interest in the Raspberry Pi - it has been phenomenal and it is fantastic that there is so much enthusiasm for it out there.

We know how keen you all are to get your hands on the product and get programming, however Raspberry Pi has made us aware of a ‘manufacturing hiccup’ with the initial batch that came to light following additional testing. Fortunately the problem is only minor and Raspberry Pi is working to correct it. A full explanation can be found on the Raspberry Pi website We’re continuing to work closely with the Raspberry Pi foundation to minimise any delay in getting the Raspberry Pi to you and hope that you will bear with us a little longer. We’ll keep updating our FAQs to give you information as we receive it.

A lot of you have also asked about how we are managing our queue, and when you’ll be invited to place your order for a Raspberry Pi. We’re going to be receiving the boards in batches, so as we receive confirmation that the batches are ready, we’ll be inviting people in on a first-come, first served basis, from time of original registration, to place orders on our new Raspberry Pi online store. The invitations will be sent to groups that match the number of boards we have available, to ensure that if you place an order, we’re able to take it and tell you when we can ship your Raspberry Pi.

Thanks again for your patience, and we’ll be in touch again next week for a further update.

RS Components Ltd

I have received one also... as I suspect have a few hundred (thousand?) others.

What surprises me somewhat is that although we have been able to place an order with Farnell, who have at least given us an estimated delivery date (which I am sure will change anyway), RS are still not actually taking orders.

Once they do though I am sure that there will be a mad rush to do so, and their servers will no doubt 'crash'... again!

I have received one also... as I suspect have a few hundred (thousand?) others.

What surprises me somewhat is that although we have been able to place an order with Farnell, who have at least given us an estimated delivery date (which I am sure will change anyway), RS are still not actually taking orders.

Once they do though I am sure that there will be a mad rush to do so, and their servers will no doubt 'crash'... again!

It sounds like you will only be able to order if you have been invited (via an email link?). This will keep the number of orders under control since they can decide how many people can order in each batch.

I registered on the RS site at around 8:00am on the day of the launch, so I'm hoping I will be invited for one of the first few batches.

I think I prefer the RS approach, I won't be able to buy one until they actually have one, or a firm date for one, to sell.

I have however ordered one from Farnell anyway (I want/can see a use for 2 or maybe 3 tbh), which will come <somewhen>

On the plus side, I registered with RS at 6AM ish at launch so hopefully be fairly high in the queue, and all it took was battling a half-dead website and leaving for work ~20 mins late :p

It sounds like you will only be able to order if you have been invited (via an email link?). This will keep the number of orders under control since they can decide how many people can order in each batch.

I registered on the RS site at around 8:00am on the day of the launch, so I'm hoping I will be invited for one of the first few batches.

I think you are probably right, although I can see a possible problem in that by the time they (RS) actually have some ready to ship, and send out emails, which may not be for a month or so anyway, a lot of folks will either have decided by then that they don't really want one after all, or that they will wait for the one they ordered from Farnell to arrive!

It is really is just a case of 'wait and see' I think! :confused:

There may be quite a wait. I just read this from RS on the Raspberry Pi site in regards to order volumes:

RS Components said:
Just to let you know that we now have in excess of 200,000 registrations of interest. This was still growing at 10 per minute yesterday!

:eek:

Back
Top Bottom