Nerds assemble! Raspberry pi close to launch date.

Whooo got RS email

:D

I got this one:

Thank you for joining the Raspberry Pi revolution and registering your interest in Raspberry Pi’s Model B board from RS Components.
We have received extraordinary levels of demand for this product. To help ensure as many people as possible can experience the Raspberry Pi concept, we are initially limiting boards to one per customer, and we will send you regular updates on availability. As boards arrive into stock, they will be allocated on a first-come first-serve basis, in order of when requests were received.

Thank you for your patience; we will be in touch as soon as possible with more details.

But I got mine ordered from Farnell last Saturday. :p:D

So you tell me...

Which very much depends if you need something like that. I foresee most PIs sitting in draws. It's reall sale will be for hacking program's as it's so cheap and programable. Think of Pinter75 type of projects.

Also just as it plays HD, doesn't mean it can play all HD content.

Well it can play pretty much all x264 @1080p smooth, probably all x264 profiles as well. It will probably stutter on wmv, or stupid other non accelerated video formats. Who cares though, 99% of all videos being made now are in x264.

Well it can play pretty much all x264 @1080p smooth, probably all x264 profiles as well. It will probably stutter on wmv, or stupid other non accelerated video formats. Who cares though, 99% of all videos being made now are in x264.

No drm, Netflix or other services.. ;) which is a huge growing market and what's the point of a device for a large portion of people who would need to hook up a second device to access such services.

If all you want to do is watch ripped flms it's great. If you want to use it for anything else it's not a good solution for a HTPC. Even webbrosing on the Xbmc release would do my nut in.

Well you can't use netflix on linux anyway, it will be fine for 480p for any file format which I think most other streaming services are anyway. Drm services are inherently incompatible with the linux ethos, I don't think many are compatible and if they are they probably just use flash. The pi might get so popular that these streaming services remove DRM, make everything downloadable and have a decent API.

Last edited:
Well you can't use netflix on linux anyway, it will be fine for 480p for any file format which I think most other streaming services are anyway. Drm services are inherently incompatible with the linux ethos, I don't think many are compatible and if they are they probably just use flash.

ALL streaming services for films have DRM, it's not upto the streaming services. They're limited by the licenses they buy and they require DRM of some form or another and will continue to do.

Oh and flashes not and will never be supported by PI. It was all on their forums. As I really wanted one, Untill I read up on its limitations. Now I'm only interested if people do cool things with it, quad copters, temperature controlls, computerised greenhouse. Those sorts of projects.

Doing get me wrong, it's an amazing device and I'm looking forward to seeing what people can make it do, but I don't think people have thought about its limitations, especially as a HTPC.

Last edited:
I foresee most PIs sitting in draws.

I wouldn't say most, but a fair few will be barely used. Still, at least the people buying the product even if unused will show Raspberry Pi and other companies the demand for such a device, which may speed up development of future devices.

Doh! I thought you were talking about it's lack of CPU power and that it can't handle all video types in your first post. None of these USB computers are going to be able to use these streaming services without help from the companies themselves. I hate DRM, why can't companies just offer a stream and 1080p x264 download?

Doh! I thought you were talking about it's lack of CPU power and that it can't handle all video types in your first post. None of these USB computers are going to be able to use these streaming services without help from the companies themselves. I hate DRM, why can't companies just offer a stream and 1080p x264 download?

Cotton candy will, ok 6 times the price. But it's designed for public with more powerful CPU that has the necessary extensions. As it also runs android or Linux. You can get the Netflix apps, as well as all googles rentals etc.

Won't it run linux though, so it's still going to be a nope? The pi will handle any 480p stream, it's just a problem with silverlight that is flipping everywhere.

Well there is a team called android x86 that is porting android to the x86 platform running, they have made significant process. They have the market working, I guess they are working on 3d stuff now.

Well there is a team called android x86 that is porting android to the x86 platform running, they have made significant process. They have the market working, I guess they are working on 3d stuff now.

:confused: what's that got do with anything and the limitations of PI.

It's a port, it could theoretically get all of it working on an x86 platform. It would also require a second port for ARM, what they might just end up doing is porting the normal Android for it. It is entirely possible that we get a well working android port for the PI that has full functionality.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom