Nerds assemble! Raspberry pi close to launch date.

Soldato
What are these like with the turbo boost inside xbmc? Last video I watched of xbmc and there was a little delay in entering movie section seemed a little lagged and loading the video listing with cover photos seemed a little lagged too, does thie TB go some way to resolving this or is it more to do with it needing a little maturing?

Associate
I don't understand people wanting to use these humble little boards as a 'Media Centres' - It really won't stream video very well.

That isn't what it was aimed at.
It's an educational thing - good enough to introduce people to the Linux OS and encourage them into the art of writing programs.
Nothing more.

Last edited:
Soldato
Got mine from Farnell a month ago - apparently the first of a new batch made by Sony in in Pencoed, South Wales. Stamped 'Made in Britain'

Farnell seem to be the best option atm.

I'll ring on Monday morning and see what the deal is, if not off to Farnell

Soldato
I don't understand people wanting to use these humble little boards as a 'Media Centres' - It really won't stream video very well.

It's an educational thing - good enough to introduce people to the Linux OS and encourage them into the art of writing programs.
Nothing more.

I didn't say anything about streaming?? I would use local storage and what has what it was designed for got anything to do with it, it's a perfectly capable albeit with some code tweaks and obviously any speed increase is welcome for any application, it's a small cheap capable well supported device. Why shouldn't it be considered for a small media player?

Seems to me the whole appeal to the masses of this device is the multitude of things you can experiment using this for given its minimal price tag.

Associate
Mine's been running Raspbmc since I got it, in May, and it runs almost everything thrown at it flawlessly. It also streams catchup tv far more capably than my old shuttle based windows media centre ever did!

Plus it has the added bonus of turning into a completely different machine just by swapping the SD card :)

Soldato

Nothing more.

The product can be used for whatever the end user decides to do with it. If people want to use the Pi as a media centre, a paperweight or a doorstop they are free to do so. The more that are sold, regardless for the reason is better for the Foundation.

And XBMC works fine on the Pi, the only problem is down mixing audio sometimes causes stuttering, but as new builds come out it gets better and better.

Soldato
Anyone here using the PI as a computer for your TV with XBMC? If so, I'd love to hear about its performance - I'm not sure whether to go for the - much more expensive (now at least :p) - Apple TV 2nd Gen or try and have a play around with the PI (and use XBMCUbuntu).

Back
Top Bottom