Nerds assemble! Raspberry pi close to launch date.

Associate
How have you formatted it?
Use gparted, create an ext4 partition & a swap partition. Then use imagewriter to write the iso.

Deleting all of the cards partitions. This is what it looks like after imagewriter has done its thing

raspberrypisdcard.png

Soldato
OP
Deleting all of the cards partitions. This is what it looks like after imagewriter has done its thing

raspberrypisdcard.png

Looks fine, you can populate the remaining space when it boots.
Go to #raspberrypi on freenode, I am sure they will know what's wrong.
I found this, it's because the kernel doesn't support large cards and you need to update it.
https://tickett.wordpress.com/2012/05/26/raspberry-pi-1-raspbmc/
Try using raspbian r3 hexxeh image, I think the kernel is more up to date with it so it will probably work straight from boot.

Last edited:
Associate
Looks fine, you can populate the remaining space when it boots.
Go to #raspberrypi on freenode, I am sure they will know what's wrong.
I found this, it's because the kernel doesn't support large cards and you need to update it.
https://tickett.wordpress.com/2012/05/26/raspberry-pi-1-raspbmc/
Try using raspbian r3 hexxeh image, I think the kernel is more up to date with it so it will probably work straight from boot.

Cheers, for that. It was the card. I have put the OS onto a spare 2Gb card I have and its now working. Lets hope there is a full patch brought out soon :)

Associate
Anyone using XBMC on this have iPlayer/4OD/ITVPlayer working/streaming fine on this?

Also for SD options, shall I just buy a SD card large enough for the system files and use a USB for actual movie files?

Thanks

Soldato
Got my Pi on Friday. Still haven't really had time to have a play around yet. Bought an SD card for it on Sunday and struggling to get my PC to recognise it so I can put an OS onto it. It's recognised on a laptop I've got available to me so I need to get around so installing the OS from there. Where has the weekend gone! :eek:

Soldato
Also for SD options, shall I just buy a SD card large enough for the system files and use a USB for actual movie files?

Thanks

Well SD cards only go up to 32GB, so you won't be able to hold many HD videos on that.

Many people here are using an 8GB Samsung SD card, but a 4GB will also be fine.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
Mine arrived yesterday, going to Maplin tomorrow to pick up the bits to get it working and then will look to installing a Java JDK of some description.

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
Had mine for 2 half months(ish) now I had setup debian on it and then not used it as i had no internet connection. Setting up ZNC bouncer software on it this morning and that's all it will be doing.

Associate
Are these easily purchasable now? In stock etc.

I ordered one on 8th August from Farnell, it got dispatched on the 16th. Others have had theirs even faster. :) RS, on the other hand, are taking months, so go with Farnell. I even saw something earlier saying Maplin are or will soon be selling them.

Back
Top Bottom