Netflix: Schumacher

Caporegime
Someone like Max Verstappen couldn't even lace this guys boots so I am glad this is released to keep him relevant to today's generation. The GOAT.

I wonder how many of today's drivers would have left a double championship winning team to make Ferrari great again let alone get greasy with the mechanics.

Last edited:
Associate
It was widely reported when he was moved home that they effectively built a hospital with full life support on the side of his house. I can't imagine that sort of thing is cheap and neither is the care required to keep someone in a vegetative state alive.
Expensive yes, but I can't imagine it putting a significant dent in over half a billion.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Expensive yes, but I can't imagine it putting a significant dent in over half a billion.
Asset or cash?

You can be asset rich (think billionaires) because you have houses, cars, stock, wealth tied up in the organisation etc or cash rich with millions under your mattress (think drug cartel).

I don't doubt Michael wasn't extremely wealthy but how many of that wealth was actually in his bank account and not properties, cars etc? We'll never know.

Either way, you can empty a swimming pool with a spoon... sooner or later that personal care is going to eat through an obscene amount of money :(

Associate
Asset or cash?

You can be asset rich (think billionaires) because you have houses, cars, stock, wealth tied up in the organisation etc or cash rich with millions under your mattress (think drug cartel).

I don't doubt Michael wasn't extremely wealthy but how many of that wealth was actually in his bank account and not properties, cars etc? We'll never know.

Either way, you can empty a swimming pool with a spoon... sooner or later that personal care is going to eat through an obscene amount of money :(
Investments can be easily liquidated, properties and cars etc can be sold without too much difficulty. How much do you think they would get from a Netflix documentary that would make the money a motivating factor? I'd be very surprised if his care bill so far exceeded $50m. I do wonder if his vast wealth was to his detriment, any normal person would likely have been let go and out of their misery a long time ago.

Last edited:
Associate
Damn he looks like his Dad... but thank god Mick looks a little less like Michael.

Looking forward to this tomorrow.. any idea what time it gets "released" ???

Soldato
A fantastic and very emotional story.
He didn’t always drive by the rules but there is no doubting his ability to pilot a race car fast. The film really bought home the immense pressure on him to deliver a championship in 2000, after coming so close the previous 3 years, and the rest is history.

Such a shame he can’t be there to support his son Mick on his F1 journey now.

Soldato
Thought it was a fairly bland documentary really. I expected a more gripping program given the life he's had. Came across more of a 'PR' film.

I honestly expected more footage from important moments such as stalling on the grid in Japan 98, and there was practically nothing covering 2001-2004. Didn't really get the full story of 94 either with the DQ at Silverstone and subsequent ban which is really the only reason Hill was in the title race at all.

Associate
I honestly expected more footage from important moments such as stalling on the grid in Japan 98, and there was practically nothing covering 2001-2004. Didn't really get the full story of 94 either with the DQ at Silverstone and subsequent ban which is really the only reason Hill was in the title race at all.

Oh thats disappointing.... but I will watch anyway

Associate
Have to agree with others views. A bit disappointing, very much a summary view and won't be many suprises in there for those who haved followed F1 for a while.

Was hoping for more, but, to be fair there are worse ways to spend and evening then watching a film about an f1 legend.

Bit torn on the details of current state. I understand the wish for privacy and protecting family life. But for the many thousands of f1 fans, given his status and influence on the sport i do feel that even just a statement of his current condition to give some sort of info compared to the speculation that exists currently. Think this documentary would have been a perfect platform to do so.

Associate
Have to agree with others views. A bit disappointing, very much a summary view and won't be many suprises in there for those who haved followed F1 for a while.

Was hoping for more, but, to be fair there are worse ways to spend and evening then watching a film about an f1 legend.

Bit torn on the details of current state. I understand the wish for privacy and protecting family life. But for the many thousands of f1 fans, given his status and influence on the sport i do feel that even just a statement of his current condition to give some sort of info compared to the speculation that exists currently. Think this documentary would have been a perfect platform to do so.

And if they said he was effectively in a vegetative state? How would that help to know... I get their need for privacy, I was never much of a fan BITD but I'd love to know there was SOME progress for him, some hope.... but having experienced similar with brother in law, I am not optimistic

Commissario
OP
A bit disappointing, very much a summary view and won't be many suprises in there for those who haved followed F1 for a while.
I thought it was very disappointing. I don't think there was anything whatsoever which was new.

I'd have said 'hundreds of thousands' of fans. From the hype about this over the last few months, I was expecting some kind of an update but absolutely nothing, not even a hint.

And if they said he was effectively in a vegetative state? How would that help to know...
It would stop the speculation. It's as simple as that.

Man of Honour
Just like his entire career it left me cold and feeling a bit meh. I was never a fan of his, though appreciated outside of being prone to monumental loss of reality, he was an incredible race driver. But just a time when I had lost interest after Senna died really.

Soldato
Wasted nearly 2 hours by watching this, so much detail about him was lacking and glossed over. Felt like the whole documentary was just a build up to the last 10 mins which produced nothing. It was almost like a memorial to be honest...

Soldato
Someone like Max Verstappen couldn't even lace this guys boots so I am glad this is released to keep him relevant to today's generation. The GOAT.

I wonder how many of today's drivers would have left a double championship winning team to make Ferrari great again let alone get greasy with the mechanics.

TBH the most likable drivers are the ones who get involved with the mechanics. Max and Hamilton seem to think themselves above them and just expect everything to be in place when they mince in to the room.

Back
Top Bottom