Netflix: Schumacher

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

The bit where he’s talking to camera about Senna’s death got me. I had goosebumps when he said someone told him that he was dead.

The look in his eyes reminded me of an old war vet when they tell a particularly somber story :(

Associate
Someone like Max Verstappen couldn't even lace this guys boots so I am glad this is released to keep him relevant to today's generation. The GOAT.

I wonder how many of today's drivers would have left a double championship winning team to make Ferrari great again let alone get greasy with the mechanics.

Max Verstappen has to be the least charismatic driver I've ever seen on the grid, and that's saying something.

Associate
When you have Jos as a father I'm surprised he's not turn out a lot worse tbh

he does obviously look up to Jos and they seem good together but yeah you do have to wonder (worth looking at an interview the two did with Coulthard on YT - interesting apart from Coulthard's lame and crude jokes!)

Soldato
Wasted nearly 2 hours by watching this, so much detail about him was lacking and glossed over. Felt like the whole documentary was just a build up to the last 10 mins which produced nothing. It was almost like a memorial to be honest...

Agree with this. It was a little lacklustre if I'm honest. There were some nice insights into his personal life, but barring that just seemed like a recap.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Finished it earlier.

They severely under-represented his achievements from 2000 onward. The fact that they showed zero footage of him driving the Merc (especially the phantom pole at Monaco) was criminal.

Not to mention the controversies with the option 13 traction control or the dodgy Monaco “crash” to prevent others beating his pole time… would have fit in nicely with the “win at all costs” narrative they were going for.

Even the end 10 mins was a big downer with no payoff. I don’t buy the “private is private” life… give us some indication how the guy is doing seeing as you’ve just spent 90 mins playing the fanfare trumpets.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Finished it earlier.

They severely under-represented his achievements from 2000 onward.

Agreed. 2002 and finishing every race on the podium with 11 wins in 17 races certainly rated a mention.

The fact that they showed zero footage of him driving the Merc (especially the phantom pole at Monaco) was criminal.

I can genuinely go the rest of my life not seeing much in the way of footage from that era of F1 again TBH. It was boring enough the first time around. Even 2011 when Hamilton was hitting everything except the safety car week-on-week didn't have very much going for it...

Not to mention the controversies with the option 13 traction control [...] would have fit in nicely with the “win at all costs” narrative they were going for.

Meh...not sure how much of that he even knew about/was in anyway responsible for. Hell, it was probably less than the involvement Alonso had in Spygate ;)

Not getting into the whole 'they should have talked about his current condition more' stuff except to say that AFAIK Corinna has made it clear what the family position is in that regard, it's their lives, their choice.

Soldato
Only interesting bit was the footage of driving around the test track at dusk.

Just made me miss the proper sound of F1 (that I remember anyway) even more though.

Glossed over loads, I was checking how long was left as they hadn't even got to his first championship at Ferrari and was thinking "how are they going to fit all of those championships into the time left?" The answer, they didn't really bother lol.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I was also miffed they didn’t include the commentary from Brundle after Michael tried to take out/hit Jacques … “Michael, you hit the wrong bit of him my friend” :D

Associate
I liked the documentary - I remember the 2000 onwards years, much less of the struggles in Ferrari ahead of 2000 so that was interesting. Also liked the early footage in karts. Could it have done more? Definitely. Is it at the same level as the Senna film? No, but then that's probably the best documentary film I've ever seen so it'll never match up to that.

Soldato
Recently finished this in a couple of sittings. I thought it was rubbish. It was the kind rubbish that networks cobble together when someone has died unexpectedly and they feel the need to air something to get to viewer share.

I thought the documentary did nothing to show Michael as even a good F1 driver let alone great. It didn't touch on his remarkable drives or performances, his tenacity. His destruction of teammates and opposition. Sometimes in the wet be nearly a minute ahead of rivals. He'd bang out a series of qually laps to make the team's pit strategy work, finishing 2nd whilst stick in 5th gear etc..

It didn't include any insight into his driving. It is documented elsewhere that he asked for a speedo in the car, because RPMs would be different depending on gear ratios. Why not more on unusually things like this. It is said that Irvine was a better benchmark for testing the Ferrari as Michael would drive around various issues. Rosberg has provided insight on how Michael played mid games and demoralised opponents.

There was also nothing about him motorcycle racing and his neck injury preventing a return in 2009 and still hampering him when he joined Mercedes.

The rivalries and battles were glossed over. A little on Hill, a little on Mika, nothing at all on Fernando. The mis-deeds could have been looked into a little too. The one with Hill actually looks more like a racing incident from the footage and Hill's own commentary of it, but clearly the one with Jaques wasn't.

Also, everyone spoke in their native language apart from Mikka, and Flav. I can understand that no-one wants to hear Finish ;) but we already had Italian, so why didn't Flav speak Italian. It seemed wired. What was Webber doing it?

Overall I'd give it a 2/5

Soldato
Just finished it and I have to agree with the comments above.

There were some interesting snippets (I enjoyed the karting section at the beginning) but ultimately it was a bit… meh.

Back
Top Bottom