Netflix to cut streaming quality in Europe for 30 days

Soldato
I for one am glad they've done it. I moved house and moved in on the day they closed the pubs (lockdown occurred just 3 days later).

I have been unable to get broadband installed until mid June so I've had to rely on a mobile hotspot on the edge of the countryside and limited data allowance. It's been very difficult but measures like this help.

If you're on mobile how has lowering the bandwidth for those that are not helped you in any way ?

Soldato
On android platform - looks like they have deployed the more efficient lower bitrate AV1 codec

https://netflixtechblog.com/netflix-now-streaming-av1-on-android-d5264a515202 Feb5

Today we are excited to announce that Netflix has started streaming AV1 to our Android mobile app. AV1 is a high performance, royalty-free video codec that provides 20% improved compression efficiency over our VP9
While our goal is to roll out AV1 on all of our platforms, we see a good fit for AV1’s compression efficiency in the mobile space where cellular networks can be unreliable, and our members have limited data plans. Selected titles are now available to stream in AV1 for customers who wish to reduce their cellular data usage by enabling the “Save Data” feature.

Our AV1 support on Android leverages the open-source "); background-size: 1px 1px; background-position: 0px calc(1em + 1px);">dav1d decoder built by the VideoLAN, VLC, and FFmpeg communities and sponsored by the Alliance for Open Media. Here we have optimized dav1d so that it can play Netflix content, which is 10-bit color. In the spirit of making AV1 widely available, we are sponsoring an open-source effort to optimize 10-bit performance further and make these gains available to all.

One to consider, if you are ripping... not sure if mobiles/tv have hardware decode , otherwise battery may suffer

Soldato
Soldato
Noticing horrible blocky/artefacty looking video when watching Breaking Bad on my Samsung smart TV. Only happens on dark scenes though, light seems to be fine. Can anyone explain this?

Caporegime
Noticing horrible blocky/artefacty looking video when watching Breaking Bad on my Samsung smart TV. Only happens on dark scenes though, light seems to be fine. Can anyone explain this?
If it wasn't there before, it's Netflix's lower bitrate, or internet congestion at your ISP. If you have an info button that will tell you more.

Lower bitrate (which means more compression in reality) is really noticeable in dark scenes. For those who don't see it, they wasted money on their TV or are blind :D

rp2000

Soldato
Eh? Lower maximum bitrate means lower maximum consumption. He's taking about data caps surely? So Netflix have potentially helped with his data use.

That would be true if you had no control of the quality netflix sends the content at.

netflix.com said:
Adjust your Netflix data usage settings
  • From a web browser, go to your Account page.
  • Select a profile name from Profile & Parental Controls.
  • Select Change for Playback settings.
  • Select your desired data usage setting. Note: ...
  • Save changes. Your changes will take effect within 8 hours.

Soldato
I imagine that it must be very depressing for actors, writers and directors to think that there are people who base a judgement as to the "quality" of their output on bandwidth - except that they probably just have a good laugh about people's fickleness.

Never mind the quality, feel the bandwidth!

If you're happy for corporations to rip you off, that's up to you. This attitude just enables them to get away with it.

Back
Top Bottom