Netflix to cut streaming quality in Europe for 30 days

Soldato
are you getting your five a day ? https://reincubate.com/blog/netflix-data-tracking/

According to Business of Apps, in the UK, the average 18-34 year-old watches over an hour of Netflix every day, showing just how often we’re allowing such companies access to our devices and data. We wanted to shed light on how this entertainment giant stores our data and the different points they track on us.

To achieve this, we extracted the Netflix data from 5 millennials who are all avid users of the streaming service, in order to discover exactly what sort of data Netflix tracks on users. To gather the data, iPhone Backup Extractor was used to pull out raw data stored by the Netflix app on each user’s mobile device.

not surprising
We found Netflix keeps track of the following user data
  • Most-watched categories
  • Most-watched lists
  • Total number of hours spent watching Netflix
  • Number of minutes spent watching each flix
  • The title, episode, description, and type of content (movie or episode) watched
  • Date last viewed
  • Flix completed and unfinished
  • Whether the user is the Netflix account owner
  • Whether the flix was watched on a mobile

Commissario
That's the sort of data I'd expect them to have...

It's basically the same sort of data you get from a basic web server with log in requirements (even without log in you can get partial info by the ip address).

Soldato
.... It was the 1 hour per day , of, lowered bandwidth, consumption that was surprising ..
(edit; ibaw - which is why I 'd tagged the telematics as not surprising)

Soldato
That's the sort of data I'd expect them to have...

Yep, it's not even the half of it either, they measure absolutely everything about how the user navigates the interface too such as how long they hover on certain titles and which titles you look at (without even actually watching), how quickly they navigate around, what menus they use etc. It's why, as is presumably common knowledge now, Netflix shows different posters/tiles for the same shows and movies to different people. Wouldn't surprise me if they do the same with the trailers/previews too.

Caporegime
OP
Weird though it's exactly 50% less for people on fast connections :)

On the dog and bone to them now for 1 last attempt at a discount :D

Edit: Nothing! They suggested dropping my plan, which would take effect next billing cycle. I guess that is all that can be done for now.

rp2000

I can't drop my plan as I get it through Sky. So I'm not even sure I would get a discount if Netflix even gave one anyway.

However I'll be leaving sky shortly and I may drop my plan if this continues. I have several 4K tv's. I have a 350MB connection on which I get around 375MB download. So I can stream 15MB no issues. It wouldn't affect my usage at all if they upped the bandwidth to 50MB.

I can still download games off steam in seconds.

Soldato
I can't drop my plan as I get it through Sky. So I'm not even sure I would get a discount if Netflix even gave one anyway.

However I'll be leaving sky shortly and I may drop my plan if this continues. I have several 4K tv's. I have a 350MB connection on which I get around 375MB download. So I can stream 15MB no issues. It wouldn't affect my usage at all if they upped the bandwidth to 50MB.

I can still download games off steam in seconds.

Wow that's a fast connection 2800Mb/s, do you live in a data center.

Also I have a 1000w microwave but I don't think anyone cares about that in this thread either.

Caporegime
Tbh, I won't bother renewing, enjoy having all my content in one place and the far higher quality now, not to mention, the money being saved..... so thanks netflix for not acting sooner on this.

Caporegime
OP
Wow that's a fast connection 2800Mb/s, do you live in a data center.

Also I have a 1000w microwave but I don't think anyone cares about that in this thread either.

this thread is about them cutting bandwidth so download speed is 100% relevant.

I also have a 1000w microwave it's an inverter by panasonic with no rotating table in the middle. And it definetely does cook things quicker than the piece of crap i used to use at work.

Back
Top Bottom