New 120Hz/"240Hz" VA monitor for gamers (Eizo Foris FG2421)

Associate
OP
I don't think I've ever encountered cross-hatching in any of the monitors I've come across (or at least I haven't regarded it as an issue), so I don't know how bad it can get.

But as a general rule:
If it's disturbing your everyday usage, then you might consider sending it back. But do note, manufacturer/seller probably won't accept it back as a "defect", so you might have to resort to DSR (if applicable). But on the other hand, if you indeed have to specifically "look for it", and if there's nothing else wrong with the monitor, then I'd suggest you keep it.

Soldato
Not sure why plasma vs LCD has come into this discussion, but LCD is still not comparable to a good plasma panel. A low end plasama screen possibly, but but for colour reproduction, motion handling, backlight, contrast etc,etc plasma is still ahead.
So in your power usage comparison you'd be trading higher power usage for better picture quality.

I recently calibrated my Sony HX723 edge dimming LED, I got some nice results out of it, average colour error 1de, average greyscale error 0.4de, perfect gamma / luminance curves, and contrast ratio of 4500-8500:1 depending on screen content with no halo'ing at all on edge dimming "low" setting, so compared to anything except the Samsung F8500 or Panasonic plasmas (which flicker and have other problems) It is a good alternative, except the motion handling is definitely better on plasma (but that has problems such as 50hz bug on Panasonic + FLICKER and Samsungs can have LOUD BUZZING). Panasonic plasmas are discontinued and a Samsung F8500 costs almost £2000, so Sony edge dimming LED + calibration you can get some nice image quality and contrast out of it, better contrast than the Samsung LED's which have slightly better native blacks but do not have edge dimming. Then there is also the price to buy the screen and the electricity bill. LED works out a LOT cheaper over 3-5 years.

Last edited:
Soldato
I recently gave this monitor a shot as I've been itching to try 120hz gaming (but don't want TN) and am getting sick of waiting for the ROG Swift (still don't want TN though). I was hoping some of the issues might have been ironed out by now, but apparently not. It's sat boxed up waiting to RMA back to ocuk as faulty.

I thought I'd landed a good one when I first set it up. No obvious crosshatching and zero dead pixels, and I ran the standard backlight bleed test that returned an inky black screen. I was well chuffed.

However,

In a few games I started to notice odd behaviour on the right hand side of the screen, like a 2 inch gradient clouding effect on certain situations. After extensive testing I found it's all to do with whatever tone is going on at the time. True black is fine, but darker greys and greens presented massive problems for my panel. Truly awful.

Also, I experienced terrible ghosting in some games, and even confirmed this using the blurbusters.com ghosting ufo tests. I thought the whole selling point of this monitor was motion clarity? Granted the motion blur reduction is good, especially at turbo 240, but the ghosting and colour trails I saw in action were a complte joke. Worse than my first ever Hitachi LCD TV about 9 years ago!

I've since seen lots of reports of problems with this monitor, epsecially the light bleed/ weird clouding on the right issue, but has anyone else come across the ghosting problem? This seems far more worrying to me, in case I'm missing something?

I'd rather have slight motion blur on my Dell superwide, but absolutely zero ghosting that I can see.

Here are a few pics of the right hand side ghosting and light bleed. I know photos always 'enhance' the problem, but in the shot compared to my Dell panel, it is shocking.

I would say Eizo need to go back to the drawing board with this monitor.

NiCrhPR.jpg

Dell screen on top. See the difference....

7aqN7iE.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
I had a similar problem wunkley. Ghosting in 120hz especially noticeable in 2D games like indie games etc. I can't say if it got better or worse in 240hz mode as I got rid of mine at least 4 months ago.

Soldato
I had a similar problem wunkley. Ghosting in 120hz especially noticeable in 2D games like indie games etc. I can't say if it got better or worse in 240hz mode as I got rid of mine at least 4 months ago.

Wow, v interesting to hear. I saw obvious ghosting in 120 and 240 turbo.

Like I say, for a panel whose main selling point is motion clarity (and a VA panel not suckballs TN), how can any sort of ghosting be acceptable? I actually prefer motion blur to ghosting. If I want to see trippy colour trails/ shift when I pan the mouse I'll hook up my 9 year old Hitachi TV.

I read as many reviews as I could before I played the lottery trying this screen. I don't recall seeing any problems mentioned about ghosting. Were we incredibly unlucky??

Last edited:
Associate
Maybe we were. I do know that the delivery guy dropped mine. I saw him do it. It was on the floor but he had it at an angle then it fell flat. I was so ****ed I told him to mark down that it could be potentially damaged.

No idea if that had an impact on the performance. Guess I will never know...

I still think about trying another but after the comments others have put and what you have just put I think I will wait longer for the Swift.

Soldato
Hmm. My box showed no signs of trauma, but then that doesn't mean a lot. I don't think the ghosting issue was caused by anything like that, but then who knows eh?

On a side note - Why is buying a new computer monitor so difficult these days? More than any other components they seem to be plagued with issues and it just feels like a lottery. Does quality control not exist anymore? And, I thought Eizo was a premium brand. Very disappointing.

Soldato
As weird as it sounds, you have to let it warm up. Mine trails a bit for the first 15 minutes or so and then it's fine. Blurbusters mention it in their review. Looks like you have a duff one though as that bleed looks awful. Where was yours manufactured?

Soldato
As weird as it sounds, you have to let it warm up. Mine trails a bit for the first 15 minutes or so and then it's fine. Blurbusters mention it in their review. Looks like you have a duff one though as that bleed looks awful. Where was yours manufactured?

I did try that actually. I left it running for at least 30 minutes when testing as I had a vague memory of reading about 'warming' up. It did improve a bit, but the colour shifting and trails were still visible. I might have 'accepted' that but when i ran the same tests on my dell there was zero ghosting or trails so I thought - the Eizo is supposed to be all about motion clarity - what's the point!?

The bleed /weird clouding on the right - terrible and not acceptable.

Mine was made in Japan, Novemeber 2013.

Associate
I'm about to buy 1 of these as I have finally sent my 10 year old CRT in for repair as it has a slight horizontal collapse problem. Hope I get lucky as it seems to be a lottery with this Eizo. I will keep swapping it till I get a good 1 which at this price I won't feel any guilt in doing so, it needs to be perfect.

Man of Honour
I did try that actually. I left it running for at least 30 minutes when testing as I had a vague memory of reading about 'warming' up. It did improve a bit, but the colour shifting and trails were still visible. I might have 'accepted' that but when i ran the same tests on my dell there was zero ghosting or trails so I thought - the Eizo is supposed to be all about motion clarity - what's the point!?

The bleed /weird clouding on the right - terrible and not acceptable.

Mine was made in Japan, Novemeber 2013.

Doesn't sound good was tempted to try the Eizo as I really don't get on with my BenQ XL2420 but a few people have mentioned that for high paced FPS games the Eizo just doesn't have the clarity in motion.

To be fair the U2913WM is rather good in gaming mode with certain image processing options disabled - better than most average TNs even for gaming - if you pull a fast 180 the screen instantly "snaps" to a perfect clear version of the scene it just doesn't manage quite so well with a bit of motion blurring if your trying to track an object in motion compared to a proper gaming 120Hz - at 75Hz its a very good panel for single player gaming and slower paced online games though.

Associate
24" 1920x1080... meh, no thanks. Up the screen to a 27" and the res to 1440 and you will have my interest! ;) :) Wont be long before we start seeing a lot more larger 120/140hz displays. Not interested in 4k res for the time being.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
@wunkley:

I'd like to comment on the backlight bleed and ghosting:

I do understand why OCUK might deny the backlight bleed issue. Some people are quite strict when it comes to certain features. Backlight bleed as such is indeed a problem mainly when the screen is dark. For regular desktop work, it's mostly a non-issue. Though naturally can't tell the severity of it without seeing it firsthand. Also, if it's not visible in "normal" backlight bleed tests, then could it be something else? (I assume you know the difference between backlight bleed and the VA's typical off-angle gamma shift, for example...?)

As for the ghosting, it really sounds odd that they won't even address it. They ought to give at least some kind of response/opinion to it. Even if it's just "we didn't see any problem with it". You could send a separate email that clearly clarifies that you want to discuss the ghosting, too.

Permabanned
Bump, Im going to order one of these after months of debate with myself i think i am going to save my eyesight and put Ultrawide 21:9 75hz on the table. I believe it might be a pain in future because 120hz 4K will come before 120hz graces a 21:9 screen.

The blacks and motion sound good i am just worried about the trailing from 240hz and the colors. I cannot see anything else to upgrade too though! Anyone got any last words like Wunkley or Arcane that might change my mind? BTW it is now £399 instead of £450 too!

Soldato
Bump, Im going to order one of these after months of debate with myself i think i am going to save my eyesight and put Ultrawide 21:9 75hz on the table. I believe it might be a pain in future because 120hz 4K will come before 120hz graces a 21:9 screen.

The blacks and motion sound good i am just worried about the trailing from 240hz and the colors. I cannot see anything else to upgrade too though! Anyone got any last words like Wunkley or Arcane that might change my mind? BTW it is now £399 instead of £450 too!

Hi mate. Saw you in the other thread about 21:9 mons, and as you can see I also tried one of these eizos.

All I can say is, if you're daft enough to buy one from ocuk, and it has the very common faults that this panel has, don't expect to return it as 'faulty' to ocuk. I tried....and ocuk declared it fine - which is why my posts above have been deleted! Can you see my photos above?! That look good to you?
They also completely ignored the ghosting issue I described. I ended up having to DSR it at my own expense. Very very poor show.

Poor service aside, I wouldn't buy another fg2421 from anywhere having looked into them more. The faults seem endemic unless you get exceptionally lucky. Quite shocking for what I thought was a respected brand like eizo.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom