New 27-inch UltraSharp U2711 WQHD announced.

Soldato
Got to disagree with this comment though. Interpolation can look fugly in all scenarios, worse so if the scaler is poor.

It can look fugly, but it looks a lot less fugly when the picture starts moving, and/or you're concentrating on things like not crashing or getting your head blown off.

Associate
Could someone having u2711 try half-native resolution please? If the picture looks nice and crisp, I will be getting one.

nope :p

Ok Whats the half-native resolution ? as I am confused

I will post a link to the images as they are going to be huge

1280 x 720 = 2.63mb

1920 x 1080 = 5.93mb

2560 x 1440 = 10.5mb

With gaming I have be using 1920 x 1080 & it looks very nice, very bright colours.

There is no ghosting that I have seen but then being a large screen & being only 2 feet away from it your eyes are looking around the screen more, so if there is ghosting it's harder to find.

I don't play on max res as it kills your FPS it's playable but as I like all settings on max & smooth play its no use to me.
I am using 3x 5770

Associate
Hi garsands,

Could you post a photo of your screen displaying a picture at 1280x720 and/or your impressions, please? Generally, if I run say a game at 1280x800 or 1680x1050 on my 24" monitor, it takes on a bit of a blurred look, especially compared to its native resolution (1920x1200). I'm wondering whether the picture at 1280x720 might actually look sharper than say 1920x1080 on your screen, despite having less pixels?

Cheers matey! :)

EDIT: just realised this could appear rather cheeky. Even just your impressions would be much appreciated! :)

Last edited:
Associate
Test Game Dirt 2 max settings AA x 16

1280x720 It looks blurred,fuzzy,dull it kills must have the glossy mirror reflections you get comming off the cars.

1920x1080 Looks nice bright sharp with clear reflections

2560 x 1440 Looks like it's ment to look sharp crisp mirror look on the cars.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's because you need to upres the smaller versions to match the largest sample. When you post them as images only we're seeing a 1:1 pixel ratio, whereas on your screen in-game the smaller versions are having to be stretched to cover the same 27" screen.

Edit: To be fair, this isn't right either. A program like photoshop will be able to upres an image with far better results than the screen could. The only fair way to do it would be a photograph of each image being displayed on screen - Which i'm sure no-one will begrudge you for not bothering with! :D

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah, I'm afraid it needs to be a photo of the screen displaying the game at each resolution, not just a screen cap.

Your impressions about how 1280x720 looks blurred and fuzzy look are interesting though. How does it look on the Windows desktop at that res?

Associate
That's because you need to upres the smaller versions to match the largest sample. When you post them as images only we're seeing a 1:1 pixel ratio, whereas on your screen in-game the smaller versions are having to be stretched to cover the same 27" screen.

So I need to enlarge the 1280 x 720 to 2560 x 1440 ?

I am new to this

Soldato
So I need to enlarge the 1280 x 720 to 2560 x 1440 ?

I am new to this

You need to take a photo of the screen displaying the same thing at each resolution setting. High enough res and clear enough exposure to ascertain the difference. I personally wouldn't bother :p

Associate
Hi all u2711 users just wanted to ask, I have read this in another forum is it true ?

Apparently Dell has simply crammed the scaler and OSD from the Dell 3008WFP Into the U2711 because it has the same problems, namely several second lag when switching inputs or resolutions.

Is this true importantly the resolution change ?

Any owners support this.

Thanks

Deleted member 94233

D

Deleted member 94233

Hi all u2711 users just wanted to ask, I have read this in another forum is it true ?

Apparently Dell has simply crammed the scaler and OSD from the Dell 3008WFP Into the U2711 because it has the same problems, namely several second lag when switching inputs or resolutions.

Is this true importantly the resolution change ?

Any owners support this.

Thanks

Got my U2711 today and have it setup with my PC going through the DisplayPort input and an XBOX360 and PS3 through an auto switcher into the HDMI input.

No idea if the scaler and OSD are the same as the 3008 but I have found the input and resolution switching speed to be perfectly acceptable to me. Don't get me wrong it isn't blazing fast but it's not stupid laggy. By my count going from my desktop at native resolution on DisplayPort to the XBOX on HDMI at 720p takes around 3 seconds. Changing the resolution of the desktop, so not switching input just resolution, is a bit quicker taking around 2 seconds or so. Obviously what is acceptable to me might not be to others but I don't think a 3 second wait is a problem and it is in the same ballpark of the other monitors I have had.

Overall thrilled with this monitor, the picture quality and resolution are fantastic with no perceptible input lag for me from playing various PC and console shooters. Only real gripe is that the anti glare coating is a bit overkill like most IPS screens but I knew that before buying it and I got used to it quite quickly. Best piece of kit I've bought in ages.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Soldato
Surely people can't be getting ancy about it taking 3 whole seconds to switch inputs? Or are there rumors of it taking much longer than this?

Associate
It's just that I read it tool 7 sec but maybe dell have fixed this before release as other reviews might of reviewed a sample I don't know.

So from the low res boot screen of windows to high res of the desktop takes 2 to 3 sec to switch ?

What about the coating on the screen what does it do to the ips ? Does it effect TFT none ips panels the same way as I have a24" samsung that is none reflective would it look the same.

Thanks

any other thoughts on your new monitor

Back
Top Bottom