New Alienware Q3 2020

Permabanned
Apologies for the question, but how do you enable HDR in Windows? Does it get engabled automatically?

There is a setting in Display "Windows HD colour". It's kinda confusing because the moment you enable it it switches itself off again until you actually play some hdr material. I kinda only looked at it once and then gave up! My interest level in hdr is about zero, haha.

Associate
Did I say something that is not true? If you think so then put one of the mentioned screens next to AW3821DW, or any 38" really, and see what happens.

It wasn't what you said, it was your whiney self important tone. Calling Acer X34, LGs and AW3418DW terrible is just silly. So they might be up to your standards of excellence but they need to be judged on a price/performance metric and terrible hardly covers that gamut unless you are a spoilt little brat which you sound like. We get you have the money to buy tip top stuff, and as such can hold them to account, but to demean everything else as crap is just obtuse.

Associate
It wasn't what you said, it was your whiney self important tone. Calling Acer X34, LGs and AW3418DW terrible is just silly. So they might be up to your standards of excellence but they need to be judged on a price/performance metric and terrible hardly covers that gamut unless you a spoilt little brat which you sound like. We get you have the money to buy tip top stuff, and as such can hold them to account, but to demean everything else as crap is just obtuse.

All of these screens launched for well over $1000 and offered picture quality of 2009 21" office screen with extra issues on top, so sorry but there is nothing to defend here. This is not just my standards, they are just objectively bad, especially "for the price". You may be able to get them cheaper now as they get old, but that doesn't change the fact. Like I said, put them side by side next to some fairly good quality screen, and maybe throw in some random $200 screen for perspective. You should not have a problem with me calling them terrible after that.

This "self important tone" as you say is just a product of not being native English so my writing can be very "direct" and not very polished or considerate, which for oversensitive people like you can sound like arguing or arrogance, which is not the intent. All I am doing is leaving info from someone experienced with big ultrawides as I have used them almost from the very beginning of their availability, and through different circumstances I had or at least tested 12 of them. Even if my writing annoys you, you should still take the feedback under consideration instead of blindly overreacting, that's what I do even if I don't like someone's opinion, the more info the better, even if it isn't phrased very gracefully.

Also I really doubt that I am "spoilt little brat" because I am a roofer from Eastern Europe and screen like AW3821DW costs me the entire monthly salary, and twice the declared one which also happens to be average salary in my country. Screens like AW3418DW or LG 34GK950G did cost me relatively even more back then. So if you are from UK, then go and spend 6000 pounds on a bad screen and then keep it because it obtuse to call it terrible. Then I am going to believe what you are saying.

Last edited:
Soldato
Probably just the time of the year and how busy the hub is. But yes, I can feel the pain. It's really frustrating when something important does a dance on the way.

Part of the problem is the tracking service Dell use for the majority of their orders is a bit of shambles, you just can't really tell what's actually happenng and have to figure it out for yourself :p Even worse it's now had a stealth update to say this "CUSTOMER REQ'D FUTURE DELIVERY" :rolleyes: Sure I did.

Associate
This is my current biggest issue with the 27inch. My desktop looks absolutely terrible with the oranges in my wallpaper looking closer to red. I find it crazy that dell refuse to add an sRGB mode to clamp the colour gamut. The solution of enabling HDR does work but as you said the dimming zones are far from good.
I'm honestly considering a return for these reasons. I absolutely love the design but the overblown colours just don't do it for me.

get a hardware calibrator and create a proper icc profile for it.

Associate
There is a setting in Display "Windows HD colour". It's kinda confusing because the moment you enable it it switches itself off again until you actually play some hdr material. I kinda only looked at it once and then gave up! My interest level in hdr is about zero, haha.
thank you!

is there any actual benefit in having HDR on? I am not convinced the quality is much better

Associate
get a hardware calibrator and create a proper icc profile for it.
Yeah that probably is the direction to go here. I really hope that one day Microsoft decide to make windows colour aware throughout. Though I've also wondered if it's something thy could be done on the nvidia/amd side of it to make the graphic output aware that it is connected to a wcg display. Maybe one day eh?

Associate
Thanks mate - that is helpful feedback

I am running it withouth the USB, as I think less cables = nicer setup

I have an RTX 3080 FE + Zen 3 5800X and bearly get 60 FPS in Watch Dog with ultra + RTX. Ubisoft really sucks LOL

Isn’t the point of the usb cable to act as usb hub? I switch between laptop and desktop for work / home has and have a 9 port usb hub plugged into monitor. Swapping that single usb cable moves all devices between computers

Associate
Yeah that probably is the direction to go here. I really hope that one day Microsoft decide to make windows colour aware throughout. Though I've also wondered if it's something thy could be done on the nvidia/amd side of it to make the graphic output aware that it is connected to a wcg display. Maybe one day eh?

yep that would be great

Permabanned
thank you!

is there any actual benefit in having HDR on? I am not convinced the quality is much better

From what I have been hearing HDR is great if you have a an OLED device but for LCD the result is not only not that that good, it also brings with it some issues that seem to drive many folks mad. I tried it once on my TV ( which does not have a high HDR level ) and honestly it just wasn't worth it. With this monitor I don't intend to try it at all, lol.

Permabanned
All of these screens launched for well over $1000 and offered picture quality of 2009 21" office screen.

Yes but these monitors are primarily gaming monitors. They aren't office monitors. I mean the community STILL regards the AW3418DW as a very good gaming monitor, worth considering even today.

When I buy a monitor I always ensure there are at least two benefits over my previous monitor otherwise it's a bit disappointing. The AW3821DW offers me a larger screen, and a greatly improved refresh-rate, so to me it's amazing! This monitor is a about three generations better than my previous monitor which is now three years old. But I think if you are upgrading every generation then you are going to be a little Meh about almost every new monitor.

Also, these monitor are expensive, but I mostly think that reflects the relatively small sales. Not many people can justify spending over £1000 on a monitor. I mean the most popular monitor resolution according to Steam is still 1920x1080!

Soldato
That said, I wouldn't say that I don't recommend it. If you are running some older terrible screens like AW3418DW, various Acer X34 iterations or older LG gaming screens, not to even mention abominations like AUO's AMVA ultrawides,
If they were terrible screens which monitors did you think were the good ones back then ? :confused:

I bought my PG348Q (same as x34) back in 2016 which monitor where you using in 2016/2017 that was so much better it made these look terrible ?

Last edited:
Associate
From what I have been hearing HDR is great if you have a an OLED device but for LCD the result is not only not that that good, it also brings with it some issues that seem to drive many folks mad. I tried it once on my TV ( which does not have a high HDR level ) and honestly it just wasn't worth it. With this monitor I don't intend to try it at all, lol.
Got it - I can see indeed why
I ended up buying the encoding piece from Windows Store to enable HDR with Nextflix and other stream services. The quality difference is there, but nothing major

Associate
If they were terrible screens which monitors did you think were the good ones back then ? :confused:

I bought my PG348Q (same as x34) back in 2016 which monitor where you using in 2016/2017 that was so much better it made these look terrible ?

At that time I've used LG 34UC98, which had AW3821DW-like picture quality already in late 2015, while other ultrawides looked like this (that's your PG348Q by the way). It then evolved into 38UC99/38WK95C and then into 38GL950G that made huge upgrades to gaming performance while retaining the panel quality of older more content creation oriented 38" models. And that's the moment from which you no longer had to choose between panel quality and gaming performance like I had to with 34UC98 and 38UC99, now you could have both in one for the first time (for 2000 EUR and with a loud fan that is). And AW3821DW is the newest iteration of that and the first one in reasonable package, and that's why I don't have a problem recommending it even if they messed it up quite seriously, because this is just a massive upgrade from anything other than older 38" models, and even then there are big upgrades, just not big enough to justify paying full price again.

34" models didn't get such a smooth upgrade path unfortunately. First there was UW1, first 34" 3440x1440 and flat (LG 34UM95), horrendous amount of bleed and glow. Then UW2 from screens like Dell U3415W, your PG348Q or X34 have overclocked version of that, it is basically a curved version of UW1, with bleed and glow so massive that you couldn't see through it even on moderately dim scenes, not even dark ones. And then came UW3 with 34UC88/98 and addressed all of that issues while also getting big upgrade to general fidelity of the panel, for a quality similar to what AW3821DW has now. Then it evolved into 38", and 34" started to regress. LG then made UW4 (AW3418DW, Acer X34P), which wasn't much better than UW2 but was native 100 and later 120 Hz, not overclocked 60 like UW2, and then UW5 (LG 34GK950G/F) which on bright scenes looked just as good UW3 but the amount of glow was probably even worse than UW2, absolutely insane. Now I hear that 34GN850 sorted things out finally and reports about massive glow improvement over UW5 models is very common so I assume that's UW6 panel and should now be comparable to 38" models, though I haven't seen it in person and there were also people claiming that PG348Q/X34 do not have much glow or bleed so you have to take variable eyesight into account :p

Back
Top Bottom