New Alienware Q3 2020

Permabanned
Overall I am really happy with my AW3821DW. I guess it depends on what you are coming from and previously I had a flat screen 34" with a 60Hz refresh rate that cost me about £600 three years ago. The increase in size is great, the curve looks more natural, the colour is much better, especially reds, the speed is phenomenal, and of course the refresh rate is just what a gamer needs, oh and it looks fantastic too and add to that the Dell warranty and to me its a seriously great price for a really good monitor.

Associate
This particular part is probably where we disagree. There are already gaming screens with FALD and they are 1k more expensive (ish).
All displays are flawed, including oled, lcd, DLP, plasma.
I understand QC is frustrating, but my point is that for any given display, for every perfectionist there are probably many people that are happy.
Not defending lg, or dell, or Samsung or the industry in general, but everything costs money and if they set the bar too high then the product will be too expensive and be economically unviable.
I don't think we disagree. I said we are only now getting affordable displays with the bare minimum. I am aware of the FALD displays that exist and their price point is not affordable in the slightest. However they also have their own issues and downfalls. It's a frustrating time to buy for me.

I also agree that for each person that knows enough and cares enough to be on a forum to discuss monitors there are a lot more that are happy with the general product.

I however consider backlight bleed at the bare minimum a defect as it by definition is as a result of parts not being aligned correctly during construction. Some can live with it. Hell if mine was only visible on only very dark screens I'd ignore it and learn to live with it.

I do feel however that as consumers we are 'forced' to accept sub par picture quality in he gaming monitor space. Aggressive anti glare for example is great for office displays with fluorescent lighting etc but on my home display where I am able to control the lighting and reflections I'd love options.

I accept I am in the minority opinion here and that's OK. This has been good discussion so far.

Caporegime
I do thing QC and price we have been shafted on though in recent years.,

I was rocking a 6 year old Benq 32" 4k IPS screen with a approx 1000:1 contrast, no backlight bleed, 99% srgb coverage, almost perfect colour calibration, freesync supported, overclockable to 75Hz, 10bit and cost £650 (i got it on sale from ocuk at £450 though) .

The only thing wrong with it is that was only 60Hz.

So all i have gained from my "upgrade" is a wider screen, 6m less pixels, a wide gamut, 144hz and "some" HDR

All that for double the money.

But also potential BLB and/or panel uniformity issues.

We really should be getting better for our money by now.

I have been waiting 6 years to upgrade but got fed up waiting for an actually screen that would be an upgrade but also affordable.

There is the rog 32ucg but thats going to be closer to £4k so 7 times more than my existing screen cost.

So this 38" UW will do me for now but I am not exactly blown away by the "upgrade" and I really should be after spending double the money of my last screen.

Associate
I've seen a couple of people mention that the AW2721D doesn't have an sRGB clamp, so for none HDR content you're stuck with over saturated colours.
I'm a bit confused though, because I definitely remember their product page for it on Dell's website listing sRGB mode.
However I just checked and don't see it anymore.

Does that mean it was never meant to have it, it was pure marketing BS, or do you think they could add it with a firmware update?
Which certainly seems possible, can't see what hardware limitations there might be to implement such a feature.

Associate
I've seen a couple of people mention that the AW2721D doesn't have an sRGB clamp, so for none HDR content you're stuck with over saturated colours.
I'm a bit confused though, because I definitely remember their product page for it on Dell's website listing sRGB mode.
However I just checked and don't see it anymore.

Does that mean it was never meant to have it, it was pure marketing BS, or do you think they could add it with a firmware update?
Which certainly seems possible, can't see what hardware limitations there might be to implement such a feature.

no your not stuck with over saturated colours at all

why do you need an SRGB clamp?

just hardware calibrate the display properly, which anyone interested in accurate colours, for say photography etc, will do anyway and should do with any monitor.

Associate
Dont need sRGB, the monitor is fantasic as it is.
Bare in mind that everyone has this same opinion. I for one dislike the over saturation that WCG monitors have when displaying sRGB content, this includes in game. Fortunately as colincarter stated above you this can be alleviated by calibrating the monitor. However this doesn't work in a lot of games and as such for me personally an sRGB clamp is useful for these games.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
My AW2721D arrived today and I've been pretty impressed with it, very quick service from Dell. It worked out at £556.80, which was including my discount from work, so very happy with that. The LG which it is replacing (27GL850) looks huge in comparison, as the AW has very minimal bezels.

One thing that stands out straight away, is this display is silly bright. As my X-Rite i1 display calibrator arrives tomorrow, ill get this correct setup so it matches my other LG (27UK850)

Associate
I bought a AW2721D and it came with bad backlight bleed. But also another issue where there was a faded colour band running all the way down the right hand edge of the screen.

Decided to order a second one to see if that was any better, has less backlight bleed which is nice although still quite a bit but this fault is possibly even worse. Has a purple blotch right in the center of the screen!

voi9E4A.jpg

Am now just returning them both, really want a 240hz 1440p 27inch ips but will probably just wait for a different model as the QC is not good enough for me. Believe acer should be releasing their one in the UK soon (XB273U GX)

Permabanned
My AW2721D arrived today and I've been pretty impressed with it, very quick service from Dell. It worked out at £556.80, which was including my discount from work, so very happy with that. The LG which it is replacing (27GL850) looks huge in comparison, as the AW has very minimal bezels.

One thing that stands out straight away, is this display is silly bright. As my X-Rite i1 display calibrator arrives tomorrow, ill get this correct setup so it matches my other LG (27UK850)

I bought a different monitor, but yes I get you about the bright thing. I always find that monitors arrive set up for shop display and I need to seriously take the brightness down. In the case of mine it was set at 50% when I got it and I am now running it a 25% lol. I am not sure why reviewers tend to be obsessed with brightness, maybe there is a reason, but they always seem to complain about brightness. I bought another Dell that reviewers quoted brightness as a major downfall of the monitor, but it was still too bright for me.

Permabanned
maxresdefault.jpg

Associate
For those of you with the AW3821DW are you finding some applications have some blurry text/images until you focus on them? Whatsapp is one that does this for me.struggling to work out the cause.

Associate
I'm itching to buy the AW2721D since there's a discount in my country that puts it at about ~$800, but all the BLB/IPS glow pictures I'm seeing around just make me think twice. I've already bought and returned two Y27Q-20 (LG panel as well) monitors because of this and I don't want to go through another return process since the holidays are coming up and it may interfere with shipping times. Plus it's just a hassle.

I really want to have a great monitor that will last me for at least 5+ years, but I don't know if I should wait to see what 2021 brings or test my luck with this one.

Associate
I'm itching to buy the AW2721D since there's a discount in my country that puts it at about ~$800, but all the BLB/IPS glow pictures I'm seeing around just make me think twice. I've already bought and returned two Y27Q-20 (LG panel as well) monitors because of this and I don't want to go through another return process since the holidays are coming up and it may interfere with shipping times. Plus it's just a hassle.

I really want to have a great monitor that will last me for at least 5+ years, but I don't know if I should wait to see what 2021 brings or test my luck with this one.

just get one it’s a fantastic monitor. I ordered one and the first one I got was perfect.

They are probably selling 100’s of these monitors and one or two people that complain on forums with a problem, suddenly everyone thinks that this must be representative of the monitor, it’s not.

the one or two people with problems shout loud, and rightly so, the other 99.9% of satisfied owners just use it and you never hear from them, it’s the same with all tech.

Permabanned
For those of you with the AW3821DW are you finding some applications have some blurry text/images until you focus on them? Whatsapp is one that does this for me.struggling to work out the cause.

Maybe you need scaling? Certain colours tend to look freaky with each other if the letters are too small. It's the only thing I can think of. Try changing the scaling to 125% and restarting the PC.

Associate
just get one it’s a fantastic monitor. I ordered one and the first one I got was perfect.

They are probably selling 100’s of these monitors and one or two people that complain on forums with a problem, suddenly everyone thinks that this must be representative of the monitor, it’s not.

the one or two people with problems shout loud, and rightly so, the other 99.9% of satisfied owners just use it and you never hear from them, it’s the same with all tech.

That's great to hear. Would you mind sharing a pic of yours in a dark environment and with a black background? One of the main reasons why I returned the Y27Q-20 was because for example in certain dark scenes in RDR2, the lower left region was just way too distracting. It had some kind of typical light bleed that's common on those panels apparently.

EDIT: I went ahead and ordered it. Hopefully, it's what I'm looking for.

Last edited:
Associate
That's great to hear. Would you mind sharing a pic of yours in a dark environment and with a black background? One of the main reasons why I returned the Y27Q-20 was because for example in certain dark scenes in RDR2, the lower left region was just way too distracting. It had some kind of typical light bleed that's common on those panels apparently.

EDIT: I went ahead and ordered it. Hopefully, it's what I'm looking for.

sorry I missed your post, haven’t been on over the last couple of days much.

glad you ordered one, it’s a great monitor

Back
Top Bottom