New Alienware Q3 2020

Associate
Hi guys,

I just had this AW38 and wondering if the bottom corners are light leak or IPS glow? Is this acceptable or it's normal with Alienware monitors? It can get a bit distracting when gaming in darker scenes.

sBlXOM3.jpg

sUAjhY5.jpg

XdxW2hW.jpg

That seems like bleed to me. Glow is more how it appears in the first pic in the upper corners.

Soldato
I just had this AW38 and wondering if the bottom corners are light leak or IPS glow?
LCD backlight bleed basically stays same when viewed from every (at least reasonable) angle.
IPS glow again depends strongly on viewing angle and disappers when viewed straight on, or from horizontally or vertically same plane. (shows from "intercardinal" directions)

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Just ordered an AW38. They're currently 30% off, plus I had a code for a further 10% (DELLRGMON). I think £990 is more than reasonable given the warranty and apparent build quality vs its rivals.

Upgrading from an aging U2711 I've had for 10 years that's slowly failing (black smudges at the top when it gets warm). Hopefully it'll fit on my desk, stand might need swapping for an arm. Gonna have to ditch my KVM and just switch inputs and get a USB switch for the upsteam port (I daily drive a Macbook Pro for work which can run off HDMI and use displayport for my gaming PC).

I might still want a portrait screen for my code but I'll see how that works, the MacBook might just fit on the end if I really want.

First > 60hz screen too, anyone got any tips? Running a 3080 so G-Sync will be enabled.

Associate
First > 60hz screen too, anyone got any tips? Running a 3080 so G-Sync will be enabled.

Very good price that. The stand is wonderfully made, but my desk is too narrow so it's criminally sitting in the box and won't be used.

As for tips, the main one is enjoy it! Don't forget to set 144hz in the Nvidia control panel, mine defaulted to 60hz and initially high refresh was a big let down, until I realised I was an idiot.

Also go into to the settings and set the frame cap to 141, then turn g-sync on. In all games, turn v-sync off and let the monitor deal with it.

Finally, though the response speed can be set to super fast... Don't. It is there to allow it to claim 1ms response time and the resulting smear is quite off-putting, to me at least.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Very good price that. The stand is wonderfully made, but my desk is too narrow so it's criminally sitting in the box and won't be used.

As for tips, the main one is enjoy it! Don't forget to set 144hz in the Nvidia control panel, mine defaulted to 60hz and initially high refresh was a big let down, until I realised I was an idiot.

Also go into to the settings and set the frame cap to 141, then turn g-sync on. In all games, turn v-sync off and let the monitor deal with it.

Finally, though the response speed can be set to super fast... Don't. It is there to allow it to claim 1ms response time and the resulting smear is quite off-putting, to me at least.

Thanks, I really appreicate that. It's arriving Monday, I don't care what meetings I'm in I'll be unboxing and getting it set up! :D

Soldato
I have the Alienware AW3821DW in my basket.

I've been waiting for years to upgrade from a 6 year old Dell S2716DG (TN 144Hz GSync). I wanted, Ideally, a UHD/4K 32" 144Hz fast IPS monitor with decent colour performance, but alas, we have maybe 2 options coming this year with very high price tags. I'm tempted to for the AW38 now, just because. Probably just keep it for a year or two for the monitor market to sort itself out a bit more.

Persuade me for or against, please :)

Caporegime

I've been waiting for years to upgrade from a (5-6 year old) Dell S2716DG (TN 144Hz GSync). Ideally I wanted a UHD/4K 32" 144Hz fast and IPS monitor with decent colour performance, but alas, we have maybe 2 options coming this year with very high price tags. I'm tempted to for the AW38 now, just because. Probably just keep it for a year or two for the monitor market to sort itself out a bit more.

I was exactly the same as you. I had been waiting 7 years for an upgrade to a 120hx/144hz 32" 4k screen with HDR but will be waiting several more years yet so bit the bullet on the AW3821DW last year when it was on offer for a grand. Best decision I have made and don't regret it one bit.

The screen is stunning.

Soldato
I was exactly the same as you. I had been waiting 7 years for an upgrade to a 120hx/144hz 32" 4k screen with HDR but will be waiting several more years yet so bit the bullet on the AW3821DW last year when it was on offer for a grand. Best decision I have made and don't regret it one bit.

The screen is stunning.

Sold!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime

I've been waiting for years to upgrade from a 6 year old Dell S2716DG (TN 144Hz GSync). I wanted, Ideally, a UHD/4K 32" 144Hz fast IPS monitor with decent colour performance, but alas, we have maybe 2 options coming this year with very high price tags. I'm tempted to for the AW38 now, just because. Probably just keep it for a year or two for the monitor market to sort itself out a bit more.

I assume you saw the deal I posted on the deals website for £999.

All I can say, lovely monitor, looked great in my setup.

PXL-20210324-161210895.jpg

Soldato
@Greebo @LiE

Cheers guys, I pulled the trigger :)

Did the QD-OLED one not pique your interest at all? It's probably gonna be priced insanely because that's what happens in the monitor market - but there's a chance it could be sensible (*hopes and prays*)... You're gonna be happy with it anyway I think, I picked mine up last January and it's a great screen (just make sure you turn HDR off 'cause the vertical banding is god damned awful).

Soldato
Did the QD-OLED one not pique your interest at all? It's probably gonna be priced insanely because that's what happens in the monitor market - but there's a chance it could be sensible (*hopes and prays*)...

It'll be at least £2K I would have thought.

I'll only keep the AW38 until we get some decent monitors hit under £1K.

Caporegime
Did the QD-OLED one not pique your interest at all? It's probably gonna be priced insanely because that's what happens in the monitor market - but there's a chance it could be sensible (*hopes and prays*)... You're gonna be happy with it anyway I think, I picked mine up last January and it's a great screen (just make sure you turn HDR off 'cause the vertical banding is god damned awful).

I just know the price is going to be insane and didnt want to wait another year or two.

Will upgrade when the time is right and the right monitor is there.

I want

32"
144hz
Gsync
HDR 1000 minimum

either OLED or QD-OLED or mini LED

Priced around £1000

I reckon I will be waiting another 3-4 years for that so this screen will do fine in the meantime.

Soldato
I assume you saw the deal I posted on the deals website for £999.

I cancelled my order from that place, as whilst they say they have stock, I'd not received any delivery date despite being a "subscriber". The delivery date on the product page keeps changing wildly, too. So I was sceptical on whether they had stock or not and bought from another place at the same price instead. Should be here Friday :)

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I cancelled my order from that place, as whilst they say they have stock, I'd not received any delivery date despite being a "subscriber". The delivery date on the product page keeps changing wildly, too. So I was sceptical on whether they had stock or not and bought from another place at the same price instead. Should be here Friday :)

I think you can buy it direct for the same price.

Back
Top Bottom