New Alienware Q3 2020

Associate
It's a glorious thing. When I got mine, I was feeling pretty bad about the amount I had spent on a monitor, especially when my previous one wasn't awful. I have not regretted it for one second, hopefully you get as much enjoyment out of it as I have.

I'd never previously changed monitor settings depending on task performed or game being played. Having the joystick on the back makes it so easy, and has made games (oddly enough it really hit me with stellaris) pop in a way I didn't realise was possible.

Soldato
Boom! Loving it :D
XQ7cALL.jpg
XGIYjPy.jpg

Nice clean set up - I approves :D I wish my set up was that clean.... unfortunately I'm in a barrack block and have no choice on furnishings so.... everything's super cramped :(
20211201_170611.jpg

Soldato
What settings have you owners of the AW38 made?
I haven’t got a device to calibrate with so have used the online one I’ve used before but to my surprise, this monitor seems bang on with contract and gamma.
I’ve dropped blue down a few notches on the RGB as it’s seems most if not all need it to tune the white balance.

Soldato
What settings have you owners of the AW38 made?
I haven’t got a device to calibrate with so have used the online one I’ve used before but to my surprise, this monitor seems bang on with contract and gamma.
I’ve dropped blue down a few notches on the RGB as it’s seems most if not all need it to tune the white balance.

I've not changed much I don't think.. Been over a year since I changed them so I don't recall the original. But.. Brightness 20, Contrast 75, custom colour Red 100 Green 94 Blue 84, Super Fast response, Dark Stabiliser 1, Variable Backlight Off.... These are just my settings though, I've not done calibration - I just tweaked it so it looked good to me (and didn't burn my eyes out on brightness).

Associate
Hmm - weird thing happened today with my AW3821DW. My Mac crashed (logs suggesting USBC related issue) and after reboot the screen from before the crash is retained as a ghosted image.

This persists with different cables, different computer, and even when the energy saver screen is showing:

fN650oi.jpg

Anyone had this before? I've opened a support ticket with Dell but would assume I need to ship it out...long.

Soldato
Try removing all power from it for a few hours (that means unplugging it, not just turning it off) -- the image has to be stored in a buffer or something surely, hopefully running out of juice will clear it... maybe xD

Associate
Try removing all power from it for a few hours (that means unplugging it, not just turning it off) -- the image has to be stored in a buffer or something surely, hopefully running out of juice will clear it... maybe xD
Thanks - yes I figured that'd be a good shot so have left it for most of the afternoon. Will check this evening

Caporegime
Hmm - weird thing happened today with my AW3821DW. My Mac crashed (logs suggesting USBC related issue) and after reboot the screen from before the crash is retained as a ghosted image.

This persists with different cables, different computer, and even when the energy saver screen is showing:

fN650oi.jpg

Anyone had this before? I've opened a support ticket with Dell but would assume I need to ship it out...long.
Bizarrely I have just taken delivery of a brand new Lenovo laptop today and the screen has just done exactly the same!!!!!!!!!!!!

Associate
Left it unplugged overnight in the end, unfortunately it is still there...if a little faded.

Dell support ticket is in progress, so let's see what they say.

Associate
Left it unplugged overnight in the end, unfortunately it is still there...if a little faded.

Dell support ticket is in progress, so let's see what they say.
Have you tried updating the firmware?

Not sure how often updates come out, but it may clear any stored memory if one is available

Associate
So when I got home from work yesterday, I checked it again and sure enough the image retention had gone. However, Dell have already processed a replacement monitor which should be arriving today.

I'll compare the two and send the worst one back!

Associate
So when I got home from work yesterday, I checked it again and sure enough the image retention had gone. However, Dell have already processed a replacement monitor which should be arriving today.

I'll compare the two and send the worst one back!
In the end, I sent the old one back. During setup, I had both side by side and the old monitor actually went "pop" and didn't back on again. I can only assume the symptoms i saw were signs it was on the way out.

That being said, can't really fault the Dell/Alienware service. A replacement monitor was sent the day after I reported the issue and the old monitor is being picked up today

Reactions: LiE
Man of Honour
This happened to mine on Saturday. Logged a ticket and the replacement turned up today. It has a newer firmware revision (03, old one 01). I left the old one unplugged overnight and it fixed it, but it seems widespread. I've kept the new one.

Associate
This happened to mine on Saturday. Logged a ticket and the replacement turned up today. It has a newer firmware revision (03, old one 01). I left the old one unplugged overnight and it fixed it, but it seems widespread. I've kept the new one.
Hmm, strange timing - I got back from work yesterday and had plugged to do my final calls for the day. I noticed signs of image retention again :/ Will do some more testing tomorrow

Associate
One odd thing on a AW3823 I've had was the screen being barely visible whilst the monitor was off. As in, turned off using the monitor button. It looked like a faint ghost of the image stayed on the screen, but you could just make out enough to see the cursor and move windows around to show it wasn't simply a static image.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Back
Top Bottom