New AMD Kit arriving need a bit of advice

Associate
I was on and off about buying ect for a while, like most waiting for prices to drop or something but finally bit the bullet and have few question, mainly towards motherboard, settled for Asus Rog Strix B650 E-E board and Amd 7800X3d, last time I used AMD was when Athlon come out, yep that long, I know my way round bios and their settings in Intel but AMD is foreign territory, does anyone know if Bios needs to be updated for that CPU or anything? also intresting to hear if there is certain settings in Bios that works better with AMD 7800x3d.

Will be cooled with Artic Freezer III 360 and notice on manual you have option for all in one cable or three seperate to control pump/fans/ vrm fan - which option would you choose? looking at the manual board have enough connections to go separate route, was thinking about this mode if the little vrm fan is to loud or something so I can adjust if is a option
1 x 4-pin CPU Fan header
1 x 4-pin CPU OPT Fan header
1 x 4-pin AIO Pump header

5 x 4-pin Chassis Fan headers

Also intrested to hear from anyone who is using the same AIO for 7800x3d.

Thanks

does anyone know if Bios needs to be updated for that CPU or anything?
No, it should boot out of the box.

Make sure it has a BIOS new enough that it covers the fixes from the burning issue (which caps the SOC voltage), especially prior to enabling EXPO, but I'd be surprised if the stock BIOS was that old.

No, it should boot out of the box.

Make sure it has a BIOS new enough that it covers the fixes from the burning issue (which caps the SOC voltage), especially prior to enabling EXPO, but I'd be surprised if the stock BIOS was that old.
Looking at website looks like they implemented from bios 1413 then got some beta and I just presume here 1616 was the last one they mentioned this SOC, then there is 11 newer versions from then on and no further mentioning about SOC, so anything above 1616 should be good

ROG STRIX B650E-E GAMING WIFI BIOS 1413

Version 1413
9.16 MB 2023/04/27
SoC voltage for Ryzen 7000X3D series limited to a maximum of 1.30V to protect the CPU and motherboard.

ROG STRIX B650E-E GAMING WIFI BIOS 1616

Version 1616
9.19 MB 2023/05/16
"1. Update AGESA version to Combo AM5 PI 1.0.0.7.a
2. Support 48/24GB high-density DDR5 memory module.
3. Memory QVL amended to account for AMD 1.3V SoC voltage limit.
4. EXPO/XMP prompt notice removed.

Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (SB650EE.CAP) using BIOSRenamer."

Last edited:
Be prepared for memory training on first boot. There is a BIOS setting to prevent the training on every boot. There's a thread somewhere in the memory or motherboard forum.

Also read up on the PBO settings. I tried tweaking but left on default. I don't game so CPU (7950x) rarely gets near 100% util.

Be prepared for memory training on first boot. There is a BIOS setting to prevent the training on every boot. There's a thread somewhere in the memory or motherboard forum.
Just a had quick look on Asus website and looks like You need to enable EXPO and subsequently enable Memory Context Restore, Thank you for the heads up regards this as I would panic at boot
Also read up on the PBO settings. I tried tweaking but left on default. I don't game so CPU (7950x) rarely gets near 100% util.
I will be mainly using for MSFS so will take a look but at first will try default been honest, PBO is that about under volting ect.?

Thank you for the heads up regards this as I would panic at boot

Yes, I panicked a little and thought I had missed something. The orange LED was on for ages. It still comes on every now and then and you just need to let it do its thing.

I found this series of videos useful for explaining the settings and how to tweak them.

The ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E and AMD 7800X3D are a solid choice, and you’ll be in good hands with that combo. Regarding your BIOS question, it’s worth checking if the motherboard’s BIOS is up to date to ensure full compatibility with the 7800X3D—most newer boards ship with the necessary updates, but it’s always best to confirm before you start. As for BIOS settings, enabling AMD’s Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO) can help you get the most out of your CPU, but make sure to monitor temps, especially with the 7800X3D. For cooling, your Arctic Freezer III 360 is more than capable, and since the board has enough headers, I’d recommend going the separate route for more control, especially if you want to fine-tune the VRM fan if noise becomes an issue.

Back
Top Bottom