New Bike Time - KTM 1290 Superduke R Special Edition

Soldato
I know, but than I would prefer a sexy looking and MotoGP sounding bike if I didn't care about their reliability. No one is going to use a superduke or a tuono as a all year round commuter unless they've too much money... :rolleyes:

I disagree about the Superduke. It has more of an upright position and I think it would do quite well as a commuter; lot's of people have commented on how comfortable it is. Maybe not so much the Tuono because it's more sporty.

Associate
I get the feeling it may be unKle :p

:D

2016-05-01%2006.08.05_zpsluazllgy.jpg

12744746__zpsffb2svgj.jpg

No I'm not minted...and yep, I spend ALL my money on bikes..and the odd gadget :p

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Exactly. That's why I love my CB1000R, the comfortable riding position, bought it to commute into town (London), weaving round the traffic was a breeze. The SDR doesn't seem that far from it, slightly more comfortable ride position perhaps, maybe not quite as sharp a turning circle, but my commute is easier these days :)

Sounds like I get more miles per tank too. The CB gets around 120, the SDR I hear does 170-200. Maybe the way I ride it wont get quite that much. We'll see.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
I'm not saying the bike isn't good when it WORKS, but when paying that much it has too look good and sexy.

This is my view of both bikes...
11EtCsQl.jpg

IC3

IC3

Soldato
First time in my life I watched Euro vision or whatever that thing is called, saw Konchita Wurst and saw him win. I said... no more TV. Haven't watched TV since then...

Soldato
OP
It's okay, he has at least said it's his opinion rather than 'it looks &*$%'. Our opinions differ, that's all. The front of that Tuono looks wrong to me for one.

Maybe someone can help, I'm looking at what extras to add and I'm wondering about luggage. I've seen some pics of them with luggage (which is the one thing I miss from the tourers I rode before), I didn't think luggage would suit the CB1R, so never bothered, but I am wondering about it for the SDR.

Test-2014-KTM-1290-SuperDuke-R-static-Ascari.jpg

I don't think they look too bad fitted, but I wouldn't perhaps always have it fitted so would need to look discrete when just the frame. Anyone know? (unKle?)

Soldato
Sweet looking bike there man, I'm jealous for sure. I've never actually seen a SDR out in the wild.

Shame you didn't get it a few months earlier to enjoy the sunshine. I'm sure you'll have a blast though ;)

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Seen a few at ace, saw 3 at Brighton. I seem to live in a area where there're loads of bikes, a week or 2 weeks ago for the first time in my life I saw an MV Augusta F3 in action a bloke was coming out from a corner knee down. It was nice to see that he actually uses the bike and doesn't just cruise around on it. :)

Never saw a F4, only at a dealer once...

Associate
It's okay, he has at least said it's his opinion rather than 'it looks &*$%'. Our opinions differ, that's all. The front of that Tuono looks wrong to me for one.

Maybe someone can help, I'm looking at what extras to add and I'm wondering about luggage. I've seen some pics of them with luggage (which is the one thing I miss from the tourers I rode before), I didn't think luggage would suit the CB1R, so never bothered, but I am wondering about it for the SDR.

Test-2014-KTM-1290-SuperDuke-R-static-Ascari.jpg

I don't think they look too bad fitted, but I wouldn't perhaps always have it fitted so would need to look discrete when just the frame. Anyone know? (unKle?)

As per the frosty seat pic, I used Kriega US tail packs. The problem with bike specific luggage is that it has to go with the bike, at least with Kriega/Ventura etc you can keep the kit and use it on others.

So don't waste your money unless you really are set on getting the matching look, as to be fair, it does look smart. But then TallPaul would say "get the GT version instead if you're going to throw luggage on it" :p

Soldato
I've seen one! Just one :( I got so excited and filtered through traffic to get to it. Then it turned off :(

That's 100% more than me :p I just seem to have an abundance of CBR600RR/ Fireblades/ Daytona 675s and RSV4s near me.

Bristol has it's fair share of supersport/superbikes around. There must be some sweet roads that I do not know about near by :(

Soldato
OP
I do have a 10L Kriega Tail Pack somewhere and currently use a 25L Kriega backpack and I think I would only do it if it still looked good on the bike (yes, vein I know). I did wonder about the official tank bag perhaps. I guess I prefer to ride without the backpack if I can. Maybe I'll just try and find my tail pack.

** EDIT ** I don't think I'll find my tail pack until I move house again. Is Kriega still the best one to get?

Last edited:
Soldato
I think both the SD and Tuono are lookers, both awesome bikes.

I'm not keen on the 'soft but hard' luggage options, are they even fully waterproof?

I'm a completely biased Kriega fan, got a US30 and 2x US20's, along with an R30 rucksack which I use for commuting - I agree hard luggage is easier to mount, for commuting I'd go with a rucksack and then kreiga soft luggage for touring.

Mine has done 1200 miles through torrential rain and much this year on the CB400 and will be put on the Tuono for another 2000 miles to the Alps next year, plus any other trips.

Back
Top Bottom