New Biking Android App

Soldato
Over the last couple of months I've been learning to program. I've made a couple of Android apps so far and now I'm moving on to a biking app.

My vision of it is it will be useful for ride outs. You make a group with your fellow riders and for a set amount of time you can all see where each other are. (Well, those that have Android phones will) I was thinking there would be a group chat and a big red emergency button, for a worst case scenario. (Not entirely sure what this will do, definitely give notifications to the others, possible text someone and maybe show results for nearest hospitals or mechanics.)

At the moment it just has 'Biker hotspots' built into a favourites list and also all UK tracks, both listed by what's nearest to your location at the time.

AZfR5F2l.png.jpg JtGEtC2l.png.jpg

I'm looking for a few things, hence the post.

1) Ideas for what else could go into it. (Remembering I'm quite the noob, so might not have a clue how to do lots of things)

2) More Biker Hotspot areas. I do have a few more than are in the screenshot now, but still only around 9.

3) Alpha/Beta testers. I am only just starting the app and my knowledge is still really limited, so progress could be slow, but at the same time, I'm sinking quite a lot of time into my coding at the moment. At this point I have no idea how to share locations and such, but having said that, a lot of things I didn't know how to do, turned out to be quite easy when I got that far in my courses!

If you can help with any of the three above requests, please let me know.

At present I set the app to be £1.99, but mainly only because if you start free, there's apparently no going back. I can start paid and go to ad driven (quite likely) if I prefer. I guess I need to decide before I take it out of beta.

For now, I have sale set to start tomorrow so it would be free for 7 days. By request, I can send invite links.

Last edited:
Soldato
List of dealers (which can then eventually be expanded to general bike shops) - I'd personally love to know of smaller bike shops I can get an MOT or my tyres fitted for example. I literally only know of one near me but if an app was to tell me where there are other places I can get my bike repaired or MOT'd that'd be great. Further to that a rating system of that dealer/garage would be good.
The dealers bit would be easy to do on your end but I guess the garages bit would be more user driven.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, good ideas. Hadn't thought of the rating of places.

I was hoping for a way to automate searching through POI, such as Hospitals or garages, but it might need to be user driven. Maybe a 'submit info' type thing and when there are at least 2 (or more) matching submissions, it gets added. Again, I'd love to automate that, don't know how likely it is.

Caporegime
Some excellent potential here. Ride recording might be good as well as fuel consumption. You could also add a weather system, dunno how you'd link to a weather site though. Maybe a maintenance diary?

Good luck, keep us posted :)

Soldato
OP
Ride recording might be good as well as fuel consumption. You could also add a weather system, dunno how you'd link to a weather site though. Maybe a maintenance diary?

Awesome idea with the weather. Really just a rain warning would probably be enough? Well, maybe just basic weather for the next few hours. I think I can do that with what I know now... maybe... it's relatively easy to read weather info from sites offering it up.

Fuel consumption is another great idea! Again, fairly simple logging miles, litres and price. A few bits of maths to keep a running total of miles and mpg. I can definitely do that with what I know now.

Route recording/logging is a bit harder.

Maintenance log/diary fairly easy I think. Maybe MOT and service reminders too?

Jeez, you've just given me about a months work!!! I love it though :) Thanks.

Caporegime
Glad to help :)

Download Fuelly for some inspiration on the fuel side. As for ride tracking, pretty sure GPS can do that? I honestly have no clue, just thinking out loud.

Soldato
OP
Don't record average speed or time on the logging.

No, of course.

Download Fuelly for some inspiration on the fuel side. As for ride tracking, pretty sure GPS can do that? I honestly have no clue, just thinking out loud.

Yeah, I use Fuelly. I did have a quick look to see if they have an API. Lots of talk of one, but it doesn't look like it. I would have just had my app link in to Fuelly.

So the link is - https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.androidandyuk.bikersbestfriend It's free this week, but I think you need to let me know your gmail address, so I can add you to testing.

I know there's not much there now, but if you get it now, as it grows, you could give me feedback :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Fueling added, although I'll need to adjust it as the next thing I want to put in is adding bikes (plural) and you'll need to be able to log different things to each bike. Shouldn't be too hard.

k7QeY1Zl.png.jpg 7GhPauQl.png.jpg

Weather is also added, in a simple form at the bottom of the page. At the moment it just shows London, but the API allows it by Latitude/Longitude and that should be quite simple to add in.

I was thinking of using a lookup service when you add a bike. Enter your reg and it populates info. Would be quite cool, but will cost 10p per lookup. I know that's nothing, but I think £100 is the first batch price. Don't know it's worth it when the user can easily enter the info themselves...

Oh, and the adding an apostrohpy looks to be harder than I thought! As you can see, the main page it worked, but as I edit some other xml, it just gives me errors. Must be possible, but I guess I need to find the right format of it.

Soldato
OP
I would say it's fairly functional now. I'd appreciate anyone fancies giving it a go and giving some feedback - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.androidandyuk.bikersbestfriend

I would say, if you use it at this point, there's a reasonable chance you might need to reset data with an update, if I add something that needs saving through the application being killed. I think I have it mostly in there now though.

Aside the rideout element, I only really need to implement the MOT and service reminders, but would love some more ideas of what could be added.

Soldato
How about technical/manual data?

Suspension - Standard settings (clicks/turns etc)
Torque Settings - For common screws, bolts and nuts (Front/Rear wheels etc)
Tyre Pressures - Rider Only, Rider+Pillion, Rider+Luggage etc

Most of the information is available in the manual, the app user could pre-populate these data fields for any specific bike they have added to the app. You could even add the ability to download the owner manual and link it so it could be opened from within the app.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, funnily enough I'd thought about tyre pressures and owner manuals myself yesterday. I think it could be quite tricky to match up whatever bike the user enters to the manual, unless you're picking your own bike out from a list, rather than entering details.

I did wonder about a 'Buying' section. It could link/search popular buying sites and have a vehicle look up option, but this would cost me money. For £120 I could get 2000 vehicle look ups. Maybe with enough users to use 2000 lookups I'm covering my costs, or maybe I force the user through a full screen advert for each look up? This section could also have a hints and tips/things to look out for when buying second hand.

Soldato
I'd avoid diluting the apps focus. Buying is not a good shout in my opinion. Primarily as other companies do it better and as their sole focus. This is not a criticism of your ability or otherwise.

As a potential buyer I'm going to use the official apps/sites, know I am getting the full features, vehicle listings etc etc

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

On the "emergency button" functionality, there are a few things you should consider:

1. Do you want another user to press the big red button to contact the emergency services
  2. Do you want the bike to automatically contact the emergency services when it reads a massive spike in G-force (a bit like emergency assist in cars)

Back
Top Bottom