New Biking Android App

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Exactly. Option 1 could work if it were renamed to "Help Me!" and it worked by a rider pushing the button which puts a flag on the Google map and sends a notification to all other riders in the group.

Soldato
OP
If always thought, if it did contact someone automatically you would have a 30 send timer to cancel it, for occasions like dropping your phone. I hadn't intend to go the automatic route though, just notify your riding group.

Thanks for the other comments. Maybe I'll trim down the ads. They've never really bothered me, aside the ones that take over your whole screen.

Soldato
OP
Thanks, can you see the app here - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.androidandyuk.bikersbestfriend

I think I've now set it to open beta (or alpha).

I've not done much to it for about a week, was just finishing off my other app. I've recently started work on the MOT and Service dates and reminders, probably just if you open the app, you'll get one reminder if within a month of your MOT or Service. At some point I'll perhaps learn how to send the reminder without the app being opened.

**EDIT** I've also removed some of the ads, but I might not have recompiled and submitted recently, so it might happen in my next update.

Soldato
OP
Well that took longer than I thought! Update has been submitted, so should come through in an hour or two.

You can now change dates of fuel and maintenance logs though and it will warn you when getting close to MOT or Service time.

It makes fairly simple guesses at next MOT or Service time, based upon when your last log with an MOT or Service checked was. (Generally a year on from the last)

Associate
Thanks, installing now and will let you know any feedback :)

Sorry if this has been mentioned, when I try to insert my bikes details it crashes when I go from Number plate to MOT due date.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for installing :) Hmm, I can't get mine to crash doing that on my phone? So you have the keyboard up, typing in the reg, but then tap MOT due date and it crashes? Does it do this every time?

If you enter the reg, back out to main menu or forward to maintenance (this is when it saves bike details) and then set MOT, is it fine?

The only crash I've noticed on my Pixel XL is sometimes opening the app. Oddly, I then open it again and it's fine. Doesn't happen in my emulator, so harder to debug.

Please do give feedback though. I've put a few hours into making it look a little nicer the last couple of days and I'm quite pleased with it at the moment :)

Do you get any other crashes? I'm thinking of posting about it in one or two biker groups/forums I'm in, to get more testers, but would like to know if there are any other crashes first. I've used it a bit and it seems stable enough.

Associate
Yeah, every time I do that it crashes and I have to re-open it. Would it be anything to do with the phone i'm using? OnePlus 3.

Seems to be every time I click on MOT Due and Service Due. Estimated Mileage, Average MPG and Spent on Maintenance don't let me click on them at all, however the notes section at the bottom works.

Soldato
OP
The other ones aren't clickable. Est Milage is worked out once you've entered a mileage either at a fuel log or maintenance log. It keeps track of how many miles you then do (through your fuel logs). MPG comes from your fuel logs and maintenance costs come from maintenance logs.

What version of Android is your OP3? I can only assume it's my date picker needs a newer version of Android? But usually it wouldn't let you install if I have something that you can't use.

The whole dates thing is annoying as I think it needs Nougat. That'll cut down on users! I'll have to look into a different way for earlier versions to enter the date. Nice catch. Thanks.

Associate
Ah, that makes sense :) My bad.

I'm running 7.1.1 which is the latest available for the OP3. I'll keep tinkering with the app and see what I can get from it!

Soldato
OP
Oh. That's odd. It should work fine then?

I wouldn't particularly expect anyone to go to this trouble, but if you fancy having a tinker, you could try and get me a logcat. Like I say, don't worry if it's a pain, but if you've used adb before, it would be helpful to send me what happens when it crashes :) (This is also a good guide, but a bit old, so maybe find new file versions :) )

**EDIT** How about tapping the date when adding a fuel log or maintenance log? I assume that crashes it too?

Associate
Thought I'd give this a go but I get the message "This app is incompatible with all of your devices." It lists my current LG G5 and past Samsung devices but all have an X next to them.

Do I need to be on Android N? As I'm currently on a Marshmallow build.

Cheers

Soldato
OP
Unfortunately you do. For now. As you might see, I'm new to all this and just merrily added libraries as and when it said I needed them, not really thinking about ways around the ones that need newer API's. I think the use of dates and calendars is the issue, needing API 24 (Nougat 7.0).

I'll try and have a look tonight at how deep the need is and I'll post here with an update later.

I've just released another update to the Store, which should log in Google's own Firebase the crash code, so Loopy, once updated, please feel free to make it crash :) Thanks.

Soldato
OP
Ha ha, great, thanks. Tbh, wait for the update I just submitted as the calendar function is now handled by a different library. Maybe it will help? (I'm aware I don't want to be pushing through too many updates, but this is quite a big one...)

I feel like I made some great progress, even just in the last two hours. Not only did I iron out a couple of bugs that had been... bugging me, but I've now made the app work all the way back to Lollipop! So instead of just 7% of users, it's available to around 70%! (Sorry @ClownShoes if I just took your reason for an update away!)

I'll take a quick nosy now for your crash log, but maybe wait an hour or so for the update to come though and try again.

**EDIT** I can see a few crash logs that look to point to the code I changed just now, so lets hope the new code works better :)

Back
Top Bottom