New build constantly restarting, every second or so. What could be causing it?

Associate
OP
No offence taken :) Being totally new to all this, I made sure I did everything by the book. Yup, the 8 pin and 24 are both connected. So were the 2 GPU connectors.
At this point, all that's connected to the motherboard are the CPU, RAM and power connectors, but it's the same problem.

Associate
Is the CPU cooler connected to the white 'CPU FAN' header on the motherboard?
I've also checked over those photo's of the CPU socket and everything looks perfect, I can't see anything wrong with any of those pins . . . Not really what you wanted to hear sorry buddy :(

Last edited:
Caporegime
No offence taken :) Being totally new to all this, I made sure I did everything by the book. Yup, the 8 pin and 24 are both connected. So were the 2 GPU connectors.
At this point, all that's connected to the motherboard are the CPU, RAM and power connectors, but it's the same problem.

Is it inside the case?
Takes pictures of the motherboard with everything plugged in.

My first PC I ever built was shorting, it took some kid to tell me to build it outside of the case (On cardboard) and hey presto, it was working.

Associate
OP
I've tried the CPU fan both connected, and unconnected, DJ Bucho...thanks for checking the pictures :)
I'll go take some pictures :) It's out of the case, but I've had it in and out.

Associate
When screwing the motherboard into the case, you definitely used the little spacers (hex shaped things, that are about 5mm long on the body, but with a thread sticking out one end, and a tapped hole in the other) between the motherboard and the case? If not, the back of the motherboard will be touching the case, and shorting.

Other point, the 8-pin you used for the CPU power, is it definitely the right one, and not the PCI-E connector? The CPU power connector should be a 4+4 connector, whereas the PCI-E connector is a 6+2.

Failing those, try taking a photo of the internals, and posting it on here, see if anyone can notice any problems :)

Associate
OP
Yes, definitely the right connectors :) The two 4-pin connectors have CPU-1 and CPU-2 on them which made matters easier at first :)
Ok, working on the photographs...

Associate
OP
P1040468.jpg

P1040470.jpg

P1040471.jpg

P1040472.jpg

:)

Caporegime
no video output at all? even using built in igpu? (cpu graphics)

tried switching the graphic cards bios switch to legacy uefi? should be a small switch up near the xfire contacts

also tried the lower pcie slots with gpu if you have them?

EDIT: might need to test with a diff psu if its an ocz one your using,even if it worked fine on prev builds (haswell has a newer c7 low power state which some psu's cant produce a low enough wattage)

Last edited:
Associate
OK having studied the photo's you posted up, everything appears to be plugged into the correct locations. I did spot one thing though...
Is that PSU Brand New? As looking at the 2nd photo (the close up of the 8pin plugged into the board) there appears to be quite a bit of dust buildup behind the clip that holds the connector to the board, there also appears to be dust on some of the cables that feed into the 24pin connector (most noticeable on the 3 centre black cables).
I'd say that the PSU is 2nd hand, and may be the cause of your problem, however checking back through your replies you stated that the PSU runs fine with one of your other motherboards.
Does the other Motherboard you tested the PSU on, use the same 24pin + the 8pin for power?

Associate
OP
There's no switch (that I can find) for changing BIOS on the card.
Yes, it's an old OCZ 850W PSU of mine. Definitely more than 5 years old, and left in an unused machine for the past couple of years. It's running 2 other motherboards fine, but they're both more than five years old.
I can't remember one of the boards, but the other definitely has the same connectors.

I've just tried the GPU again, in 2 different slots. Exactly the same thing. All fans spin and PSU LED lights up, for maybe 1 second, everything comes to a halt, and then starts again...continuously.

Caporegime
I would try different psu if you can,then take things from there

could even pop the whole setup to local pc shop and ask them to test with another psu

pretty sure there's a bios switch on those cards it is small though

even so it should run from cpu graphics if it was working fine

Associate
I don't know if this applies to Intel CPU's or not, but some AMD boards need to have their BIOS's flashed to recognize the latest CPU's.
Where abouts are you based mate? their might be a member that's local to you that could pop round with a spare PSU or something and give you a hand getting everything up and running...

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the help guys :)
I jumped the gun and ordered a Seasonic S12II-620W just in case it is the PSU causing a problem with this board (plus...it was likely time for a power upgrade anyway) :)

Associate
Thanks for all the help guys :)
I jumped the gun and ordered a Seasonic S12II-620W just in case it is the PSU causing a problem with this board (plus...it was likely time for a power upgrade anyway) :)
Well I've got my fingers crossed for you buddy, hopefully that new PSU fixes your problem. Keep us posted won't you ;)

Associate
does the motherboard show what version bios it has from any stickers?
Just wondering as the gigabyte site shows F6 revision adds support for 4th gen intel cpus

Remove the psu from the mains

remove your discrete graphics and use the onboard graphics for the moment

Reseat your memory into slots DDR3_2 and DDR3_1

Reseat your CPU blow an air can over the cpu socket

Try clearing your CMOS not by removing the battery but by shorting the two pins with a jumper or metal object for a couple of seconds to the right of the bottom pci slot marked CLR_CMOS

finally power the board back on and see if it has helped

Last edited:
Associate
does the motherboard show what version bios it has from any stickers?
Just wondering as the gigabyte site shows F6 revision adds support for 4th gen intel cpus

According to the CPU support list the i5-4670k has been supported since F4.

I hope you manage to figure out the problem OldDevlin, everything I can think of has already been suggested :(.

Associate
According to the CPU support list the i5-4670k has been supported since F4.

I hope you manage to figure out the problem OldDevlin, everything I can think of has already been suggested :(.

Was wondering if it was worth a shot but tbh it's a 1150 board so what else is it going to support. Kind of clutching at straws before RMA / throwing money at it.

Did the op manage to try with a single card. I know it doesn't solve the issue but might help diagnose exactly what is wrong.

Back
Top Bottom