Gigabyte B550 AORUS Elite V2 ATX Motherboard
Kingston FURY Beast 32GB (2 x 16GB) 3200MHz DDR4 RAM - Black
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X Processor (12C/24T,)
Phantek P400a case
BeQuiet! pure power 11 600W CM PSU/Power Supply
WD Black SN850 500GB M.2 PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD
BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 Air Cooler
Gigabyte geforce gt 1030 2gb ddr5
Noctua NT-H2 3.5g, Pro-Grade Thermal Compound Paste incl.

So I got the above components as I have decided to go back to a PC as Apple and mac OS is just going down the drain and ran into a few problems.

After putting everything together and making a boot drive on my old mac I tried to install windows without any success, I would select the boot drive and first it would just give me the spinning dots under the motherboard logo, so I updated to the latest bios and that seem to get me one step further but then got a strange text on the screen then windows would blue screen.

After each time I would need to reset the CMOS by taking out the battery and power cord, it would some times take several attempts to get going again, I had a wired keyboard with backlight connected and sometimes it would just hang and backlight would go out.

I tried several different ways to boot, via USB, on different sticks, I even put windows on a 240gb SATA SSD and tried booting from the SATA bus, all had the same problem.

Also could not get the qflash working at all but it shipped with BIOS f13 and I updated to f14 after a few attempts at windows

I also tried to boot a copy of Ubuntu and the same thing happened, I could select the boot drive and reset and then the first option would come up(ubunto, safe graphics mode etc) but would not go anywhere and just blank black screen.

Been doing my nut in for the best part of three days.

I have sent the mobo back and will receive a MSI B550 Gaming Edge tomorrow.

I just want to check if I am doing something wrong here, I think all of my stuff compatible and all showed in the BIOS except for the graphics card but I could view the BIOS so card must have worked(can't remember how this stuff works as it's been 15 years since my last build).

Thanks

Associate
OP
And the headache continues with this board(MSI B550 gaming edge).

Hooked every thing up and it powers on but I get no picture, I did the BIOS flash and still nothing tried just one stick of RAM in both slots, reset the CMOS by taking out the battery, tried the HDMI on the board and swapped the position of the graphics card.

The set of LED's have the GPU light come on for a short while but then goes off.

I really don't know what to do know and i can't keep swapping componets endlessly, i really don't have enought money to but any thing else.

I did read this and have got some different ram on the way but the MSI site lists the fury RAM as compatible.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MSI_Gaming/comments/hkcocc/b550_gaming_pro_no_video_out/

At this rate i might have to go back to my mac :(

I really want to get this up and running as I am tired of mac OS.

https://youtu.be/hynKSbDvm34

Any help appretiated.

Associate
You won't get a signal from the motherboard hdmi as the cpu doesn't have graphics. Have you checked the cpu for bent pins or thermal paste on the pins? I know that some gpu's need a firmware update or a setting in the bios to get the card to show anything, just can't remember what is was.

Associate
OP
You won't get a signal from the motherboard hdmi as the cpu doesn't have graphics. Have you checked the cpu for bent pins or thermal paste on the pins? I know that some gpu's need a firmware update or a setting in the bios to get the card to show anything, just can't remember what is was.

I was extra careful putting CPU into socket and defo no bent pins or paste, it slotted in real easy and did not need to be forced in any way, no error light for CPU so guessing it is ok.

If the GPU needs a firmware update i don't know how the hell i am going to get this done with taking it to a shop to be bent over.

Man of Honour
I was extra careful putting CPU into socket and defo no bent pins or paste, it slotted in real easy and did not need to be forced in any way, no error light for CPU so guessing it is ok.

If the GPU needs a firmware update i don't know how the hell i am going to get this done with taking it to a shop to be bent over.
Gt 1030 won't need a firmware update.

Try the gpu on the lower slot on the motherboard and maybe a diffrent cable.

Do you have a spare gpu to try or borrow one from a friend.

Associate
OP
Gt 1030 won't need a firmware update.

Try the gpu on the lower slot on the motherboard and maybe a diffrent cable.

Do you have a spare gpu to try or borrow one from a friend.

Tried a different cable(xbox series x) and other PCIE slot.

Friends, what are they?

If i should get an old and cheap card from ebay or gumtree etc what would you think would work, not after blistering performance but just enough to get it going.

Funny as this thread says the guy had it working with a 1030 but don't know if it is the one he started with like me.

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?threads/i-cant-access-my-bios-mpg-b550-gaming-edge.364604/

Soldato
Why did you do a bios flash without having he system boot up and knowing your components working? B550 factory bios is zen3 ready.

The aorus motherboard is know to have cmos issues.

you might have messed up the bios when updating the board. I would recommend you getting a new board from amazon and see if that works and if all works fine try to follow the procedure for usb bios flash properly on the MSI board or keep the amazon board and RMA the MSI board.

when you pull a new build together don’t go messing with bios and OC off the bat. Just make sure all your components are working first.

boot, Ram testing at stock and xmp, then load up Windows and see component by component do your stress test. When everything is fine then look at OC your CPU or doing a bios flash.

Man of Honour
Tried a different cable(xbox series x) and other PCIE slot.

Friends, what are they?

If i should get an old and cheap card from ebay or gumtree etc what would you think would work, not after blistering performance but just enough to get it going.

Funny as this thread says the guy had it working with a 1030 but don't know if it is the one he started with like me.

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?threads/i-cant-access-my-bios-mpg-b550-gaming-edge.364604/
I'm not fully convinced its the gpu as you was getting display with the Gigabyte motherboard, could you fully acess the bios on the Gigabyte board ?

Do you still have the Gigabyte motherboard and is the 1030 new ?

@pc-guy he's got a msi gaming edge motherboard.

Associate
OP
The aorus board is on it's way back because it had so many problems and would not even begin to load windows.

Why did you do a bios flash without having he system boot up and knowing your components working? B550 factory bios is zen3 ready.

It seemed like the logical thing to do and went ok as far as i can tell, it cycled through the light sequence and the board is the same as it was before that so i don't think the board is shot but obvioulsy one or more of my components is not working and as far as i can tell it is the graphics card, i can't do any thing with the board if i can't get the screen working, the problem will be the same on another board.

Associate
OP
I'm not fully convinced its the gpu as you was getting display with the Gigabyte motherboard, could you fully acess the bios on the Gigabyte board ?

Do you still have the Gigabyte motherboard and is the 1030 new ?

Yes i could, i still have the board as the well known company(don't know if i can say their name here wthout getting into trouble) have not collected it today.

The RAM was visable on the gigabyte board.

I have some generic crucial RAM coming tomorrow but hope that comes before the board goes so i can test it.

And yes the 1030 is new. It is the gigabyte geforce gt 1030 version.

Man of Honour
Yes i could, i still have the board as the well known company(don't know if i can say their name here wthout getting into trouble) have not collected it today.

The RAM was visable on the gigabyte board.

I have some generic crucial RAM coming tomorrow but hope that comes before the board goes so i can test it.

And yes the 1030 is new. It is the gigabyte geforce gt 1030 version.
Do you have anyone you can go and test the 1030 in ?

Associate
OP
Yea it is funny, took a vid of the sequnce and the order is

cpu red solid for 15 seconds

dram yellow flash

vga solid red for 5 seconds

boot on solid.

the boot light goes out when boot drive in usb slot.

Going to see if that means anything.

Soldato
The aorus board is on it's way back because it had so many problems and would not even begin to load windows.

It seemed like the logical thing to do and went ok as far as i can tell, it cycled through the light sequence and the board is the same as it was before that so i don't think the board is shot but obvioulsy one or more of my components is not working and as far as i can tell it is the graphics card, i can't do any thing with the board if i can't get the screen working, the problem will be the same on another board.
Did you actually pull the build together and booted at all before bios flash? Or you just went and bios flash a new board?

the latter don’t do. If you got something new, always run it in the factory setting and see if it works. As previously mentioned, the 1030 should work off the bat.

Back
Top Bottom