New Build Works?

Associate
OP
thankyou very much and as soon as i order I am more then willing to support for your help :) 650w power supply is enough? and doesnt come with cables or they are standard compared to the other u suggested? also i will need an optical drive no? :p also you have put an SSD and a SSHD? i would assume the ssd for my OS and the SSHD for more space for game installation etc? it will be plug and play or will require fiddling? for the SSHD?

Associate
thankyou very much and as soon as i order I am more then willing to support for your help :) 650w power supply is enough? and doesnt come with cables or they are standard compared to the other u suggested? also i will need an optical drive no? :p also you have put an SSD and a SSHD? i would assume the ssd for my OS and the SSHD for more space for game installation etc? it will be plug and play or will require fiddling? for the SSHD?

650 is more than enough. Can easily put two 1080s on that. It comes with cables that ill be perfectly ok, but if you want something that looks great then some modified cables are really nice. Yes, SSD for most things and put storage things on SSHD. SSHD is just plug and play.

Soldato
650 is more than enough. Can easily put two 1080s on that. It comes with cables that ill be perfectly ok, but if you want something that looks great then some modified cables are really nice. Yes, SSD for most things and put storage things on SSHD. SSHD is just plug and play.

SSHD is pointless when you have an SSD.

Associate
With Gsync i'm not sure if you really even need a second gtx 1080? If g-sync is going to smooth out any frame rates anyway, second 1080 still doesn't make much sense to me even if you can afford it.

Personally I don't like 4K. I've owned mine for a little while now and on the verge of selling it because 4k at 27"(or 28) is just not very usable. Everyone is different though

Personally think the teamgroup memory i specced is nicer and cheaper. same performance.

h110i seems a waste of money if the plan is to watercool in the next few months.

seems silly not to have NVME ssd in a 3k budget? arguably, although nvme is much faster, you dont really notice that much difference. Dont see how SSHD is pointless, its has a cache for faster small read and write operations. Why does it matter if you have a seperate SSD or not?

PSU is good and cheaper but i'm not aware of custom colour cables available other than extensions so if your happy with black then certainly saves some money.

Soldato
With Gsync i'm not sure if you really even need a second gtx 1080? If g-sync is going to smooth out any frame rates anyway, second 1080 still doesn't make much sense to me even if you can afford it.

Personally I don't like 4K. I've owned mine for a little while now and on the verge of selling it because 4k at 27"(or 28) is just not very usable. Everyone is different though

Personally think the teamgroup memory i specced is nicer and cheaper. same performance.

h110i seems a waste of money if the plan is to watercool in the next few months.

seems silly not to have NVME ssd in a 3k budget? arguably, although nvme is much faster, you dont really notice that much difference. Dont see how SSHD is pointless, its has a cache for faster small read and write operations. Why does it matter if you have a seperate SSD or not?

PSU is good and cheaper but i'm not aware of custom colour cables available other than extensions so if your happy with black then certainly saves some money.

I haven't used 1440p or 4K but the op can decide on what resolution he wants. With this budget he can do either. For 1440p though you would only need a single GTX 1070.

The Corsair has the White LED's which will go well with the Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 7. Ram is pretty much Ram so any kit will do fine.

He doesn't say that he is going to do a custom loop in the next few months.

If you want an NVMe SSD then the PM961 would be a cheaper option.

The hard drive is only for mass storage. No point in getting a SSHD. The main SSD will handle all the 'fast' load/boot times.

The Leadex has custom cables if the op wants them.

Associate
I think what you should decide on now is what resolution you want to use.

If you want to use 4k resolution (3840x2160) then leaning more towards Lee's build may be worth it to have the two 1080s. If you want 1440p then one 1080 will be good now and for more hungry games in the next couple years one would hope.

To decide on the cooler for the cpu, think about if you want to watercool. If you want to get into that and spend a few hundred quid on a custom loop than a H110i would be a waste, get the cheaper one. If you don't think you'll watercool in the near future then by all means get the H110i, its a better cooler and much tidier in the case. (Your decision on resolution will probably affect this. If you want 4k, then you wont be able to afford a full custom loop immediately.)

As stulid said, to not have a m.2 nvme is a bit backwards. If your going to edit video then every little helps. and m.2 nvme is more than a little boost. You can add other drives to the main OS drive in the future if you dont want to buy them all now.

(By the way, if you take the second 1080 off my first build it is £2400 which is basically the same as the two new builds just posted.)

(Look like stulid as done a build while i typed this so now you have more decisions too :) spending 3k is never easy)

Associate
OP
in all honesty, i dont need overkill and will look to upgrade/add parts in the distant future.... so i believe i will only need 1 GPU for now and ofcourse would like to have the newest type which is 1080? i think... as for 4k am not in a hurry either as for mostly gaming sometimes it is better to run at a lower setting i believe? however if that standard watercooling kit is not to hard to fit i think i would rather go for that as it will be a while before i think about adding to it. i must say i like the looks of the last 2 builds. also 2x SSD is defo overkill and not needed? u recommend a SSD for OS and then HDD for storage of games etc? sorry for being a pain :(

Associate
in all honesty, i dont need overkill and will look to upgrade/add parts in the distant future.... so i believe i will only need 1 GPU for now and ofcourse would like to have the newest type which is 1080? i think... as for 4k am not in a hurry either as for mostly gaming sometimes it is better to run at a lower setting i believe? however if that standard watercooling kit is not to hard to fit i think i would rather go for that as it will be a while before i think about adding to it. i must say i like the looks of the last 2 builds. also 2x SSD is defo overkill and not needed? u recommend a SSD for OS and then HDD for storage of games etc? sorry for being a pain :(

1080 and 1070 are both the same age pretty much. 1080 is just a higher tier card.
If by settings you mean resolution, it is easier for a gpu to run games at lower resolution, yes, which gives higher fps.
The H110i should be really easy to fit, Its an All in One watercooler.
The SSD + HDD combination is to have the highest speed from SSD an greatest capacity from hard drive. For a good overall balance of both. Manage files as needed. Most games should be fine on hard drive IIRC.
Install OS on SSD but 512gb is loads of space for other things too.

Soldato

For 1440p a single GTX 1070 would do fine. A GTX 1080 will obviously last a bit longer but at the added cost.

The sealed water coolers are zero maintenance, and shouldn't be any more difficult to fit than a normal air cooler. If you don't plan to overclock though then the Alpenfohn Matterhorn in Stulids build is more than capable.

You would install windows on the SSD along with games/programs that you want to load up quicker. Any large files can be stored on the HDD. You can go with 2 x SSD's if you want. I have a couple in my pc.

Associate
OP
ah ok, getting a much clearer idea, thanks so much.

as for the items you picked such as the

Gigabyte
GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming RGB 8192MB GDDR5X PCI-Express Graphics Card (GV-N1080G1 GAMING-8

what makes that a better choice then the one i linked before i believe?

MSI
GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X RGB 8192MB GDDR5X PCI-Express Graphics Card

or was that not one of the items that needed a tweak? was i just over doing it with the PSU, RAM etc?

or people just dont like MSI? like the motherboard i linked states it can run 3600 ram, but was advised it might not?

i worked hard on that build was expecting a yeah go for it lol

Back
Top Bottom