New Build Works?

Soldato
^^ Pretty much that. No point in paying extra for the MSI.

Your original psu was overkill. A 750W is plenty to run SLI with a GTX 1070 or 1080 with room to spare.

Corsair Dominator is nice looking ram, but not really needed for a general gaming system.

There is nothing wrong with MSI motherboards. At the end of the day it is your pc so if you prefer the aesthetics of the msi range then go with one of those. The Gigabyte gets specced a lot due to it being cheaper in the bundle, and also it gets great reviews as seen in that link from Stulid.

Associate
OP

am mostly leaning towards this build, objections guys? suggestions? u think ur ram suggestions better Roverno? might get the Dell monitor tho (even tho its dell, meh)

Caporegime
No reason at all not to go X99 as it's clearly do-able on your budget, they have a clock speed disadvantage (but can be overclocked) but still make a great cpu for gaming.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £2,490.81
(includes shipping: £0.00)

CPUs with 6 or 8 or 10 cores are available.

Quad channel RAM is used for extra bandwidth VS dual on Z170.

Total: £2,812.81

Lots of blue lighting on this setup, the case has selectable LED colours, the card has RGB, the AIO cooler fan+logo glows blue, the board is RGB etc etc.

Theres even a 1080 HOF in white - https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18748411

Associate
OP
but the CPU's have more cores but less GHz... probably not beneficial to gaming unless i overclock them right? so probably best to stick with original choice? or surely one of the guys would have suggested it? i duno

Caporegime
They are not much slower, some games work well on the 6/8 core cpus like BF4 I found on some maps run better than the 6700K.

You can of course overclock them and it easy to get them upto 4Ghz+, but they arent slow at gaming even at stock.

Soldato
6 core is probably a better future proof option. The 6 core can usually hit 4.5 when overclocked without too much trouble....even 4.2 is plenty fast for gaming. The 1080 graphics card will do most of the donkey work anyway but battlefield games etc perform better on 6 or more cores.

Associate
OP
ah ok, and probably beneficial to be able to use 4 rams for less strain individually? well yeah i want future proof so guess the 6 core option seems nice, any other build recommendations to compare? :D

Caporegime
I can make it cheaper again,

Total: £2,207.86

But this X99 board in this bundle does not have USB3.1/typeC or a full speed m.2 slot hence the SATAIII SSD.

Less frills on this, way less RGB lighting.

Total: £2,186.86

You seem set on a 1080, but as I mentioned before a 1070 will do 1440P just fine and the free PSU+games - https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18748480

Associate
OP
urghhhh this is stressful xD im not set on anything really but to be future proof surely the 1080 is the better idea? considering il be looking to eventually go to 4k and all that other lovely jubbly stuff. i duno... like i said im not bothered about cheaper.... i just want the best for my buck with each part... its still beneficial to build myself right?

Caporegime
Building yourself means you get the bits you want and generally save money by not paying someone elses labour cost.

A 1080 ( you will need two) will give that extra grunt for 4K

Associate
OP
and theres a reason for picking each individual part for u yeah? as in u know all parts are good cause as u said the whole point of self builds is that u get all the parts u want and i can fully understand how easy it might be just to randomly select some parts hehe, also out of all the builds on this thread is that the one you would pick? and would u go for that GPU or the white one you linked after?

Associate
Personally i think x99 is spending more than you'll get benefit from. nearly £800 for cpu and motherboard that while gaming is equal or worse. In a very rare case it might be marginally better, but that isn't a great justification in my mind.

Maybe there is an argument that it is more 'future proof' but in reality nobody can predict the future and buying a 6700k now is still going to have you set for years to come.

The waterforce card is an interesting idea but i think they look terrible in a case and seem to provide very little benefit over a typical air cooler.

Personally If i was doing this my self and wanted to spend the whole budget i would actually scrap having a hard drive, the oldest tech on the block, and have all solid state storage. The whine of a hard drive does my head in.

Sorry if i'm just making your decision harder.

Caporegime
and theres a reason for picking each individual part for u yeah? as in u know all parts are good cause as u said the whole point of self builds is that u get all the parts u want and i can fully understand how easy it might be just to randomly select some parts hehe, also out of all the builds on this thread is that the one you would pick? and would u go for that GPU or the white one you linked after?

I think the first X99 spec with the ultra gaming board is more "suitable" as

A - its cheaper
B - the desginare board can easily be argued that it has stuff you would never use on it.

Associate
OP
well not to bothered about price, would u not get water cooling with the first x99 build? and these builds way better then the no x99 builds? also why would u pick extra cabling? dont PSU's come with cables? or those ones better? also u could lower the price of second by getting a mixture of parts from both builds no? like the non water cooled GPU etc?

Associate
OP
also theres a comment on that ram that says....

Great fast ram, can't fault it!
Make sure you check the motherboard compatibility list.
Gigabyte x99-sli does not support this rams xmp @ 3000Mhz but will run 2666Mhz (correct 9/11/15)

that affect us?

Back
Top Bottom