New Canon full frame?

Soldato
I'm still unsure on this rumour.

Surely an entry level Full-Frame will cannibalise sales of the 5D mkii, the mkii that is still selling and the 7D and 60D... obviously those two might also be replaced though.

Soldato
OP
I'm still unsure on this rumour.

Surely an entry level Full-Frame will cannibalise sales of the 5D mkii, the mkii that is still selling and the 7D and 60D... obviously those two might also be replaced though.

The fact that the 5Dmk2 is still on sale proves there's a market for a cheaper, lower spec FF camera than the 5Dmk3. If such a new body were introduced, it'd presumably replace the 5Dmk2.

Soldato
^^^
There has always been a market for that, and it's not like it wasn't selling at that price before the 5diii, it's just the 5Diii makes the 5Dii look cheap.
The cost of FF manufacturing has always been an issue for providing affordable FF cameras.. until recently apparently.

olv

olv

Soldato
If at worst it ends up being a 5d II with 7D AF system then consider me sold. No doubt it will be out gunned by the D600 in spec and price but what's new there? :p

Soldato
OP
Thing is, at this price point, is there really any point comparing Canon with Nikon?

Once you're in the market for a £1500 body, you've most likely already bought fairly heavily into one system or the other and aren't likely to change.

Soldato
Who in their right mind would start talking about talent and ability in a thread about gear?
The point I was making is that sooner or later, any thread about equipment seems to boil down to people wanting to have an argument-cum-debate about the relative importance of their own favoured brand of manufacturer.

When, more often than not, it really doesn't matter what you use.

Caporegime
Thing is, at this price point, is there really any point comparing Canon with Nikon?

Once you're in the market for a £1500 body, you've most likely already bought fairly heavily into one system or the other and aren't likely to change.

If you are a crop user with some crop lens like 10-20 + 17-55 then there is not much investment considering the loss in high quality lenses tends to be minimal. Considering someone with some like a Canon 550D + 10-20 + 17+55 2.8 + a cheap telephoto like 55-200/70-300, they want to go full frame. The person want to buy a new FF camera with a 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8. They would actually save a lot of money by swapping to Nikon and will likely end up with a better body.

Even pros with 20Ks worth of gear will make the swap if there is substantial reason. The cost of swapping system is a pretty minor point of contention really. More important is the experience with the controls/bodies, lens rotation directions etc.

You have to put the loss in sales of lenses in one system into a time frame. So someone looses 200 pounds selling a Canon lens which they have owned for 8 years, that is only 25 pounds per year, less that 50p a week, 7p a ay - let me know where you can rent top end glass for 50p a week

Caporegime
Just crop a FF image, the AA filter ruins the 7D's resolution anyway.
Still this looks like an interesting camera, sounds like Canon answer to the D600, although D600 looks to have better specs...

Have you only started saying that since the release of the D800E or have you been saying that since every Digital SLR has ever been released, including every Nikon, Sony, Canon, or even Fuji ?

Just curious where the sudden all this talk of AA filter comes from. I honestly never thought it was ever a problem.

p.s. is the D600 confirmed?

Soldato
Have you only started saying that since the release of the D800E or have you been saying that since every Digital SLR has ever been released, including every Nikon, Sony, Canon, or even Fuji ?

Just curious where the sudden all this talk of AA filter comes from. I honestly never thought it was ever a problem.

p.s. is the D600 confirmed?

I'v been saying it for years, it's also why I never upgraded to a 7D due to it's strong AA filter.

My below comment refers to the 5D mk1

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=19552808

Soldato
Just didn't like the files of the 7d, the 5dmk1's files just looked sharper and crisper with good micro-contrast. The 7d by comparison had a muddy smudged digital/noisy quality, at least with fine details at high magnification. Web size images wouldn't be an issue, but then what is the point of 18mp or getting a crop camera for it's reach?

Just compare the nex7 files to the 7d, there is no comparison. For stills at least, Canon didn't even need to use an AA filter, if they had released a 7DE, that would have made for a killer wildlife camera etc...

Back
Top Bottom