New car delays.

Soldato
Looks like VW did keep to the original build slot for my wifes care as received this email earlier:

Great news, your new Volkswagen Polo has completed its final checks and has now left our factory. It won't be long now until it's at your retailer (although I am not sure their definition of not long is the same as most!).

If you don't mind me asking? When did you order your POLO?

After gate release at the SA factory. It can take 6 to 8 weeks to get it over to the UK (or so I've been told / read).

But at least you know that yours has actually been built :)

Soldato
So glad we got our Mercedes CLA last month as it now appears that the only one you can get on the website is the CLA 45 at over £60k.

Also saw this on a dealers website 22 plate CLA thats almost £15k more than what it would have cost.
Prices for anything half decent are just insane at the moment. Can't really see it changing much in the short term.

My two and a bit year old Hyundai I30N is pretty much retailing for what I originally paid for it. The positive here, is that I've been offered a ludicrously high price for my trade in against the new car. So that's my deposit sorted. And I luckily got in before the VW price rise/s and even managed a bit of a discount. As long as the new car turns up this year, then I'm sorted. Should things drag into next year, then it starts to get "interesting" (IE. current PCP coming to an end). Got to laugh I suppose.

Associate
If you don't mind me asking? When did you order your POLO?

After gate release at the SA factory. It can take 6 to 8 weeks to get it over to the UK (or so I've been told / read).

But at least you know that yours has actually been built :)
Hi,

We placed the order on the 4th January (managed to get a discount of £1090 + £750 dealer contribution and before the price increase I think).

Then on the 24th Feb we got the build date of week 16, with an estimated arrival at the dealership mid/end June. Week 16 changed to week 18 at the start of April and with 6-8 weeks to get it to the UK should still get it here around the timescale mentioned in Feb.

Now we have a rough timescale we can get some quotes on her car for part exchange or sale.

Associate
i ordered a 128ti on 4rd July. The current estimate is late September, making it around 15 months. I'm still not convinced.

I'm hardly slumming it with my Alfa Giulia, but i'm a bit uneasy running any car like this out of warranty.

Associate
I’m amazed the number of people still ordering expensive combustion cars. Are you happy to pay insane fuel prices? I understand the fiesta’s and polo’s because there aren’t any <£15k EVs yet. There are so many great EVs now in the £25k-£60k space I can’t see how it makes sense to pay so much for a combustion car, then pay 10x as much to fuel it.

If you’re looking at monthly costs you can put a £150-£200/month fuel saving towards the car cost (or just save the money).

Permabanned
I’m amazed the number of people still ordering expensive combustion cars. Are you happy to pay insane fuel prices? I understand the fiesta’s and polo’s because there aren’t any <£15k EVs yet. There are so many great EVs now in the £25k-£60k space I can’t see how it makes sense to pay so much for a combustion car, then pay 10x as much to fuel it.

If you’re looking at monthly costs you can put a £150-£200/month fuel saving towards the car cost (or just save the money).

Point out all the hot hatch EVs or performance oriented ones circa 40k.

Man of Honour
I’m amazed the number of people still ordering expensive combustion cars. Are you happy to pay insane fuel prices?

There are a number of reasons why, including:

Fuel prices may be higher than usual, but cars are much more efficient than they ever were previously. In many respects the increase in fuel efficiency over the last 10 years cancels out the increase in fuel price.
EV's are not yet at a point where either the model range or the infrastructure is suitable for everyone. For many people, an EV simply doesn't work yet. These people will continue to buy combustion engine cars.

If I had to replace my car tomorrow it is unlikely there would be an EV that would work for me, so I'd buy a combustion engine car. By contrast if we had to replace my partners car, there are various EV models which would work for her so we'd likely get one of those.

Associate
Understand that the type of car someone wants may not have an EV equivalent yet, and that some people may have charging concerns.

However I do get the feeling that many people don’t even consider it even though you can save huge amounts of running costs which means you can spend more on the car, then enjoy all the other benefits.

Just as an example a friend just took delivery of diesel X3 even though the iX3 would have cost him less over 3 years whilst meeting all his needs and more. His reason was he didn’t even think about it as an option.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yep an off peak energy tariff gives BEV running costs of about 1.5-2p per mile

40mpg at £7 a gallon is about 18p per mile
Ideal world I see. What about the people who can’t charge at home ? What about the 50p/kWh fast chargers ? What about the people who do a lot of driving and don’t want to pay more than a 60mpg diesel and wait ages to charge?

Just because it doesn’t make sense to you doesn’t mean it’s the same for everyone.

Electric is cheap now as it’s not subject to transport tax like liquid fuel is

Associate
Point out all the hot hatch EVs or performance oriented ones circa 40k.

Allowing for the massively lower running costs and higher residuals means you can compare a £50k EV to a £40k combustion car, resulting in lots of interesting options (BMW i4, Tesla Model 3 etc)

For hot hatches there’s the Mini Cooper SE, Cupra Born etc..

Associate
Ideal world I see. What about the people who can’t charge at home ?

You could say ideal world or you could say over half of the new-car-buying population.

If you can’t charge at home then the numbers might be different (paid public charging is more expensive, but some people charge at work for free etc..)

Caporegime
But that octopus go for 5p is gone for new customers. Sure you can charge at 7.5p off peak if you are ok to pay 38p peak. Savings aren’t as great then and you still need to budget for a charger £800-£1000

Permabanned
Allowing for the massively lower running costs and higher residuals means you can compare a £50k EV to a £40k combustion car, resulting in lots of interesting options (BMW i4, Tesla Model 3 etc)

For hot hatches there’s the Mini Cooper SE, Cupra Born etc..

Cooper se and Born are not hot in anyway. Model 3 is meh. I4 M50 is 72k.

Appreciate your points but EV not for us yet. Though wife doesn't care, so EV not for me yet.

Associate

Depends what market you are shopping in and the mileage you do for us looking at premium SUVs there was a large delta between ICE and EV and it would take many years for the BEV to beat the ICE on financials even after adding in tax and servicing even at current fuel prices. It should be noted our diesel current car does 20-23mpg and due to our mileage zero ***** are given as we don't do enough mileage for it to impact our lives.

for ICE v BEV was a choice of essentially pre-paying a chunk of the fuel price upfront by buying the more expensive EV, or buying a cheaper ICE variant and paying the fuel over time.

Not everybody's scenario is the same as your own, so whilst you don't understand it there are people out there who can run a spreadsheet and do the math.

Associate
I totally understand everyone's situation is different - but when you're spending £30k plus, and especially £50k plus I think there's a lot of people who are going to end up spending a lot more on an ICE car plus running costs because they didn't look at an EV. It's rare that people do a spreadsheet to work out the true costs!

I simply couldn't imagine spending any sort of large chunk of money on an ICE in 2022 unless I had a really really strong reason (a real reason, not a false perception or lack-of-knowledge reason)

Is anyone considering the huge depreciation of an expensive ICE car or is everyone on a lease/PCP where it's no concern?

Back
Top Bottom