** New EK warning on new Nickel Blocks **

Associate
This sounds like a load of complete ********. Who taught them their chemistry?

Pure silver in distilled water causing corrosion in nickel? What a crock of ****. I'd love to see their lab reports.

Man of Honour
All I ever seem to see are problems with EK nickel blocks - not just on these forums either. Good that they are now including some guidelines, but in such a community driven industry it would seem the damage has already been done (or is being done in a lot of your cases :p). Sorry for the pun :(

Soldato
This sounds like a load of complete ********. Who taught them their chemistry?

Pure silver in distilled water causing corrosion in nickel? What a crock of ****. I'd love to see their lab reports.

Galvanic Corrosion and traditional Corrosion (oxidation) are two very different things. Technically I'd presume Galvanic can occur even with distilled water as it may still contain some electrolytes, giving you all the ingredients for nickel corrosion (along with silver).

It also states "only may - when not used with corrosion inhibiting coolant." which means either use premix or use corrosion inhibitors.

Associate
I might get shot for this but ........

EK fluids why are they so dammed cheap - well the answer is a in a spectrometer. It is because the fluids contain less than 1/5th of what the base chemicals they should contain.

Sorry EK if you what to create cheap fluid either do it properly or don't do it at all any one using a Alu rad will be in deep do do because of your cost cutting. Get it right or don't do it at all.... do not do it just to under cut very one else because you look the fool no one else ..... (btw ive had a drink and my feeling are coming out i normally stay quiet) oh and i haven't had a "fag" for 3 days which doesn't help much.

Last edited:
Associate
Galvanic Corrosion and traditional Corrosion (oxidation) are two very different things. Technically I'd presume Galvanic can occur even with distilled water as it may still contain some electrolytes, giving you all the ingredients for nickel corrosion (along with silver).

It also states "only may - when not used with corrosion inhibiting coolant." which means either use premix or use corrosion inhibitors.

The difference between nickel and silver is not enough to produce galvonic, maybe in a harsh enviroment over like 20 years. They've even tried to say that you get "accelerated galvonic corrosion" with just distilled water? Please explain to me how you'd get accelerated galvonic corrosion with just distilled water and nickel plating?

People have been water cooling with kill coils for years with just distilled water. Suprise suprise, only EK blocks have ever had an issue with corrosion. When EK come out with this rubbish it's insulting to it's customers and the community as a whole. It's just fake science used to scaremonger customers into buying their products. There's a reason why they won't release their "lab results".

Personally I thought they'd grown up after their first fiasco, obviously they haven't learnt and I'll have to buy XSPC gear for my next loop.

Associate
I really wish you would get shot for this biased rubbish tbh.

Actually when it comes to fluids and their use/compatability and pretty much anything fluid, Mlwood37 is one of the best people to talk to. The guy very rarely if ever gives biased opinions and is very helpful. Especially to the fact that he knows hell of a lot more about the ins and outs of fluid than most people here collectively. The guy is an absolute treasure to have on these forums and you shouldn't take it for granted.

If he was giving a biased opinion he would have surely placed an advertisement for his own range of fluids but he didn't.

Also the OP wanted him to comment on this thread for the very reason and he gave a direct answer which I think will be found satisfactory to the question.

Hes not here to snipe at competition but to give sound and reliable advise. Sure he wants to make as much profit as possible (its a business!) but I have NEVER once seen him state that all other fluids are rubbish and that Mayhems are the only way to go.

Fortunately he doesn't need to because ive tested a number of the competitions fluids and only the mayhems seem to do what they say on the tin....

Soldato
OP
Well guys due to me wanting to use mayhems ultra pure (which i already have 5ltrs) and a killcoil i am not going to risk it and send this back and get the copper version as i can see myself using mayhems stuff for the foreseeable future :)

Would just like to thank mlwood37 for his valuable comments & contributions to this thread and to the forums in general.

Thanks

Associate
Is there any specific reason why you just want to use distilled water and a kill coil? not trying to defend EK here, just curious.. I'd send back a block too if it came with a warning like that. It seems most people who run into trouble are either not using enough in their loop or using too much. ie, just a killcoil with distilled or premixed coolant + adding extra to it. I'd just get a good coolant with anti corrosion + anti algae additives even with a copper block.

Last edited:
Associate
Is there any specific reason why you just want to use distilled water and a kill coil? not trying to defend EK here, just curious.. I'd send back a block too if it came with a warning like that. It seems most people who run into trouble are either not using enough in their loop or using too much. ie, just a killcoil with distilled or premixed coolant + adding extra to it. I'd just get a good coolant with anti corrosion + anti algae additives even with a copper block.

Premixed often leaves residue/staining etc. There's nothing wrong with distilled + kill coil.

Personally, I like premixed and I'll probably be using mayhems white but I can see the other side of the coin.

Caporegime
I got some EK compression fitting the other week they weren't labelled as EN and the two of them that were plugged into my radiator both have fairly severe corrosion already literally 2 weeks after purchase, I hope the EN blocks I have don't do the same down the line so far they are okay. I have replaced all the EK fittings with another manufacturers barbs.

Was just using distilled water and PTNuke PHN btw.

Last edited:
Soldato
b...bu....but nickel is shiny!

If you want shiny, drop the cash on Bitspower or Dangerden stuff then,
I stand by what i said earlier on this matter, EK won't be getting any of my business when i upgrade my loop next, Even their comp fittings don't seem all that (mine seem to keep trying to unscrew themselves over the last few weeks)

Soldato
i really dont get this fascination with nickel blocks...

yes the block looks a lot better, but then in your system you only see the back of the card so all the nickel is hidden

so your running the risk of using nickel but you cant even see it becuase it is upside down for 95%+ of the time :confused::confused::confused:

i just go with straight copper which, granted, doesnt look as good, but doesnt have such high risk

Back
Top Bottom