New essential Android apps thread

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
So I take it google keyboard is better than AOSP keyboard? But what happened to all the symbols behind letters on google keyboard? You now have to hold period to get to them all? :confused:

Soldato
Can anyone spec me a decent youtube alternative? The stock youtube app is beyond terrible... Mainly just for the audio of vids, but I do watch vids on my tablet at times.

Soldato
Can anyone spec me a decent youtube alternative? The stock youtube app is beyond terrible... Mainly just for the audio of vids, but I do watch vids on my tablet at times.

I've used Viral Pro before if that helps. was ok.

Agreed the stock YT app needs the option to run with screen off and audio only mode.

Soldato

I've used Viral Pro before if that helps. was ok.

Agreed the stock YT app needs the option to run with screen off and audio only mode.

Couldn't agree more - running in the background too would be desirable. I'll have a look at Viral Pro :)

Soldato
So I take it google keyboard is better than AOSP keyboard? But what happened to all the symbols behind letters on google keyboard? You now have to hold period to get to them all? :confused:

Yeah that change happened awhile back. No got a clue why they did that, must be a design thing as having the symbols short cuts was so useful.

Associate
anyone else getting youtube - video going stationary - but audio continues ?

only reboot fixes it - but since update it keeps doing it

Doesnt happen on my phone (4.4.2), but it does happen on my tablet (also 4.4.2). Sometimes it even plays the advert and then just freezes, refusing to go into the actual video at all.

Associate

I watch quite a lot of Youtube videos, and I agree the stock YT app is dreadful. I've tried a few and the best I've found is Tubemate, mainly because you can select the exact stream quality to watch at fullscreen, and you can download videos or play just the audio in the background. You'll need to find an APK for it though as it's not on the play store.

I also tried Viral, but for some reason I couldn't get on with the UI.

Caporegime
Background audio for YT? I thought the official YT app was meant to do that or was that a rumour? I had no idea alternatives existed, Tubemate here I come.

Back
Top Bottom