New essential Android apps thread

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
got to ssy that ui looks awful, why would I want to manually expand it.
who has stuff that isn't explained by the title and need the boxes underneath, which only show the title anyway?

The whole point is you can have one or the other, or both. Just change it how you like. It's a better system and not awful at all. it means a quick glance in title view, or a quick swipe for more details is possible. My gif shows a hybrid agenda + month view.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Contact the dev then to sort their ways out! Or use one of the countless other news aggregator apps like Feedly which don't have ads and have web portals to synchronise read articles with between PC and mobile :p

Caporegime
Can anyone recommend an app for auto adding number prefix's?

Since changing my WhatsApp to my Portuguese number any UK contacts without the +44 prefix now display as just a number in WhatsApp and I'll be damned if I'mg going through all of them manually :p

I tried number fixer but it added the +44 but kept the 0....rendering the contact almost useless!

Man of Honour
chrome doesn't appear to have extension support? is that right?
and if so any way to get adblock or similar on chrome or another browser.

Soldato

If you want to stick with something like Chrome, and use Chrome sync:

There's #NoChromo based on chromium 51, but I find it sometimes crashes: http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/app-nochromo-wild-browser-appears-t3130776

The previous v42 was perfectly stable for me however.

Alternatively, RSBrowser is based on CAF 46, which is a chromium 46 build optimised for Qualcomm SoC devices, but I sometimes find the page can get "stuck", but can be fixed by going to a different site: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rsbrowser.browser

Both aren't perfect in adblocking however.

If Chrome sync is not important:

This is the official ABP browser based on Firefox: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.adblockplus.browser

Or, just use Firefox with uBlock Origin, which I find is the best browser for ad blocking.

There's also Dolphin browser with their adblock addon, but this browser's performance has gone pretty down hill.

I think there's adblock addons for the Samsung browser as well, if you have a Samsung phone.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
thanks sync isn't important don't use it on desktop and mobile is either here or random browsing.

I'll give firefox and ublock a go.

Soldato

I highly recommend Firefox with ublock origin.

Browser is slightly different from chrome etc but you will get used to it quickly. It is stable i.e never crashes and no ads is obviously brilliant.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
can you enable swipe on firefox?. mainly swipe down to refresh and wipe left to go back.
cant see any settings?

Just install a gestures extension. I use 3 finger swipe extension which is better as you will never accidentally swipe action when all you wanted to do was scroll an image thread, for example.

maj

maj

Soldato
Anyone use/used Airdroid? Tried it last night to transfer photos from phone to PC but it wouldn't send via WiFi. I know there's google drive, onedrop etc but heard good things about this and some of the features look quite useful.

Soldato
I've been using Solid's FTP feature to allow access to my phone with Windows Explorer, which is much simplier to use.

I've not used the FTP feature but I have set up a windows share on the PC which I can access on my phone with Solid Explorer. File transfers speeds were around 1MB/s which is useless. What sort of speeds were you getting?

Man of Honour
whats google now like? can it control apps like audible?

got one plus one atm which has Cortana on, but doesn't seem to control much or at least haven't found what you need to say.

Man of Honour
Glaucus finally saw the light and left Windows Phone, the world will surely end!

still prefer wp, but there was a couple of apps I really wanted, so giving it another try. although this time it looks like I'll mange despite the lack of decent widgets.

if wp got the apps I want I would be back to it in a heart beat.

Soldato
Just tried the extract command from the 3 dots menu inside a 7z file which failed.

But when I put it in landscape mode to open another pane, I was able to copy the 7z contents to a new location no problem.

Back
Top Bottom