New essential Android apps thread

Is there any way to make it impossible for WhatsApp to receive and make calls? I thought I could disable the calling ability in permissions, but it's not done that way so can't stop that. Going back to an older version almost certainly would be impossible as I imagine many features would no longer work if any.

Anyone with any idea?

Soldato
I have £20 in reward credit and no idea what to spend it on. :D

Other than music or movies etc. There's next to no premium apps I would use.
My fathers got £40 in credit and I've no idea what to spend it on either :o Have you checked out Cobra Kai on YT? If not you could watch the first 2 episodes that are free and maybe buy the rest?
I don't really keep track of Android apps as the G.Play store is a clusterduck of a mess but video content is all I can think of to spend your money. It is a shame you can't use it for hardware purchases like you could in the past. I bought 3x Clowncasts back in the day!

anyone know of a way to stop it that the maps app goes small when another app open ups? so frustrating that i can be driving along with maps running, then take a phone call, which takes over the maps and makes what i need go tiny, and then even worse, when i hang up, the screen goes off, so now i need to reach across my dash, turn on the phone screen, unlock device, click the small maps image, click it again to get it large, and hope i've not crashed while distracted doing this.

Soldato
anyone know of a way to stop it that the maps app goes small when another app open ups? so frustrating that i can be driving along with maps running, then take a phone call, which takes over the maps and makes what i need go tiny, and then even worse, when i hang up, the screen goes off, so now i need to reach across my dash, turn on the phone screen, unlock device, click the small maps image, click it again to get it large, and hope i've not crashed while distracted doing this.

Settings -> Apps & Notifications -> Special app access -> Picture-in-Picture and then disable for Maps.

And... it's happening, MX Player is now ruined: https://www.xda-developers.com/mx-player-ui-revamp-netflix-hotstar-amazon/
Ihlu6ne.png

Guess it's time to move to VLC which seems to do a nice job, but I seem to be having an odd bug where it still shows deleted videos in the list.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Nova Launcher has had a nice update on the beta channel:

6.0-beta1 Aug 7, 2018

-Improved Settings menu layout: Dock options are now part of Desktop, more intuitive settings hierarchy, etc.
-Nova Settings are now searchable for faster parsing.
-More Adaptive Icon options available, including a new customizable shape.
-Option to automatically match folder and app drawer icon size to desktop.
-New window styles in folders: choose from windowed or immersive modes.
-Folder background shapes now share the same options as adaptive icons: Round, Squircle, etc.
-App drawer search bar can now be stylized like on the desktop.
-Search bar provider can now be set to Google or Nova Settings by default.
-Added vertical or horizontal scrolling options for folders.
-Icon resizing no longer requires Nova Prime (but you should probably buy it anyway).

https://plus.google.com/+KevinBarry/posts/JPwMjjYUm8s

Soldato
Since my Moto G5 has had zero updates to Nougat since I got it, I took a punt and followed a guide on XDA to install Oreo (it's stock - apparently it's from something called a "soak" test so it might not be the final version) and everything seems fine.... except this horrible grey background in the nav button area... is there anyway to change this?? I presume it was black before but I can't remember exactly... :o

ECFodeol.png.jpg

Soldato
Need to send my Pixel 2 XL into Google to get the screen replaced, what's the best way to back the phone app list up so I can restore it once the phone is returned

Usually when you're setting up a new Android it asks which phone you're coming from and it will install all the apps again I think. I tend to select set up new phone though.

Soldato
Need to send my Pixel 2 XL into Google to get the screen replaced, what's the best way to back the phone app list up so I can restore it once the phone is returned

Thanks guys

Go into settings > accounts > google > account sync > 3 dot menu top right > sync now

That will sync all your google stuff, contacts etc.

When you get your new Pixel 2 xl, login with your account & then you'll have an option to restore.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
I've just had my 2XL replaced by Google and as above that is the two best options. But as Andy said, I like to set up my phone as new each time. Just then I can copy back what I want and not the junk that builds up over time.

Even the way that @marc2003 says below doesn't take too long, you can just go down the list hitting the install button on the apps you want.

Soldato
Any suggestions for notification mirroring to a Windows PC? I just noticed Cortana for some reason is not syncing them over any more to either my desktop or Surface. Does Pushbullet still use its own notification pop ups instead of W10's native notification center?

EDIT: PB For Desktop is a web wrapper and uses the native Windows notifications.

Last edited:

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Chrome users! I need your advice.

I use Chrome beta as it has the home button on the top left of the nav bar.

I've got the new redesigned cards look but its removed the list of recent visited bookmarks that you used to get on the home page that is in the release version of Chrome and previous beta's. I just get the list of useless news articles instead.

Is there any way to get them back? Something in flags maybe?

I know I can use the non beta but that doesn't have the home button on the top left which is equally as frustrating. :|

Associate
You can turn it back on in flags (and you can disable the completely useless feed too, just within chrome) but I have moved away to Samsung internet and find it better personally.

chrome://flags/#simplified-ntp

I'm sure it was in here somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom