New essential Android apps thread

Soldato
Ok, I've recently decided to stop using Bluemail on my phone after using it for years - mainly because I was using it to access multiple email accounts and now I am falling back on just plain old Gmail. As a result I've switched back to the Gmail client but am having issues with notifications, which seems to be an old issue I recall happening a few years ago to folks. Basically I don't get notifications on my S8+ (Oreo) when emails arrive... the notifications settings are fine. Does anyone else have issues?

Soldato
I use a different mail app (Nine) and I have to turn off battery optimisation for notifications to work. It's in the main battery settings for Oreo, not inside the app. You set it on a per app basis.

Soldato
I use a different mail app (Nine) and I have to turn off battery optimisation for notifications to work. It's in the main battery settings for Oreo, not inside the app. You set it on a per app basis.
Good shout, I forgot about the doze settings. I'll give it a go thanks.

Edit: Sadly that did sod all. I don't know how Google can remain with such a crap email client for as long as they have. Going to take a look at Samsung Email, it used to be good ie basic many years ago...

Last edited:
Soldato
Using Nine too. Feels like it kills my battery though!?

Can't say I've noticed but I'm a very light user of my phone. It's basically a glorified mp3/flac player to me. Screen on time is next to nothing because I hate browsing on it - I'd much rather wait and get home to a proper PC. :p

@Kainz, do your mail providers actually support push notifications or does it poll every few minutes? I only have a single outlook.com account which uses push so I always get my mail pretty much instantly.

Soldato
@Kainz, do your mail providers actually support push notifications or does it poll every few minutes? I only have a single outlook.com account which uses push so I always get my mail pretty much instantly.
It's just my Gmail account that I want to access mate. I installed Samsung Email in order to access it and it is giving me notifications perfectly fine so I'm ok now. Gmail afaik has supported push for quite a while, it's just that I've never had reliable notifications from the app in the past, which is why I stopped using it.

Samsung Email is very basic and light (28mb), which is just fine compared to Bluemail so it'll suffice for accessing gmail.

Soldato
Without going through the entire thread can anyone recommend me some cool looking fancy widgets to show off my Note 9 screen please? I've got 1weather, HD widgets, beautiful widgets but I'm after more. I don't mind the battery drain, just want some eye candy. Ta

Is there a decent mail app yet that has predefined responses? I use typemail, which is nice to have the responses, but the app sure is fugly and often needs to be restarted to see the mail has been responded to or moved to another folder

Soldato
I need a free app that will turn on my hotspot when within the vicinity of a Bluetooth connection for my car.

Is there anything that fits the bill?

You could try Automate? I haven't used it myself but seems to fit the bill, Tasker would probably be the go-to app for this kind of thing but it's not free.

Associate
On my Pixel 2xl if an unknown number called me it would auto lookup who it was. (i didnt have an app installed for this) does anyone know either how to get this working on a huawei mate 20 pro or an app that can do this?

Back
Top Bottom