New essential Android apps thread

maj

maj

Soldato
Does anyone use a Reddit app other than the official one? If I use any other than the official one Reddit links won't open in the app even when Reddit links are associated with it

Soldato
Does anyone use a Reddit app other than the official one? If I use any other than the official one Reddit links won't open in the app even when Reddit links are associated with it
I'm using Boost.

If you're on Android 12 there's an extra step, for Pixel it's called "Add link" then you have to check all of them but I've seen it being called "Supported web links" and other variations depending on the Android skin:
W22LBcIl.png.jpg

The worse one I've seen is Xiaomi hiding the option in a completely different place with MIUI (Settings -> Apps -> Manage Apps -> Press the 3 dot menu button on the top right -> Default Apps -> Opening Links -> "App name"-> Open Supported Links).

maj

maj

Soldato
Thanks @Orcvader. Interestingly I'm also using Boost and do have a Xiaomi phone and thought you'd found something I'd missed but Boost was already set to open supported Reddit links but no option to enable or disable a URL if I wanted to.

I installed the official Reddit app to compare and in Opening Links the official one had a lot more entries. Upon trying to access Reddit via a browser it looks to redirect to the app using reddit.amp.link to open the associated Reddit app which was already linked to Boost.

Since installing the official Reddit app and then uninstalling it, it seems to have tricked phone into now opening Boost for Reddit links.

Seems to be working now so will leave it and see how I get on.

I do so hope they don't **** it up....
Me too.

As android has matured, I find myself used jg less and less apps these days, just banking, email, browser, and YouTube, almost nothing else.

However the one app I have used consistently and can't see myself stop using, is nova.

The launcher has too many features that I won't ever want to lose.

The Dock bar for instance, I have 3, 1 in the middle has apps, one to the left has click able images that go straight to WhatsApp conversations to my staff, and if I swipe up on that image, it calls them, Dock to the right does the same but for family.

If I swipe down on empty home screen it launches camera, double tap launches WhatsApp, 2 fingers down is cinema app.

Just too many things I will never want to be without.

Soldato
What’s the best way to block ads on Android? A DNS?
Blokada, which works pretty well for the most part and you can block other connections too. The only niggle i have is some mobile networks can throw a wobbler (slow or no data connection) due to Blokada "blackholing" connections via VPN - no issues with EE but have had in the past with a MVNO Voda SIM.

Permabanned
Wordle is essential if you have a long stopover at the airport. I don’t like wasting too much time on my phone but it always happens so naturally. Usually I just take it to check the time and here I am, playing Wordle for two hours in a row. There few other word games like and just noticed have the most problems with the 3 letter words https://word-finder.com/3-letter-words/. Anyone else?

Soldato
Anyone else find android wallet is a steaming pile of horse manure? Cannot access any loyalty/store cards unless you have an internet connection. This was never the case with Android pay. Grrr!

Soldato
Anyone else find android wallet is a steaming pile of horse manure? Cannot access any loyalty/store cards unless you have an internet connection. This was never the case with Android pay. Grrr!

Yes... I had trouble using googlepay or wallet now last week the error was it couldn't connect to the servers so payment wasn't made

Soldato
A lot of the time it can depend on the checkout. Some don't have scanners that work very well with phone screens. I think it was Samsung built something into their phones that emitted the code for you, that these scanners would detect and use. Newer scanners work more like cameras that read the barcode that way. I know some Waitrose have old tills that can't scan phones well, so you can scan your phone just underneath the PIN entry device.

Back
Top Bottom