New essential Android apps thread

Bit of a simple aesthetic missing from "the worlds most popular Android launcher, OMGONE!1!1" :)

Wow you're an really nice fella in other threads too. I thought you were just a super nice charming fella in speakers corner, but I see now you can't help yourself but be someone super nice and lovely to have around. Who'd have thought.

Nope not really. You can achieve close to blur style effect, more in fact as you can select any colour you want, and any transparency you want, rather than just blur background and that's it.

And popularity in this situation does clearly indicate how good the app is, as it's not auto installed, like say chrome is, but an app people have to go out their way to get, and they do, and they stick with it.

Soldato
Wow you're an really nice fella in other threads too. I thought you were just a super nice charming fella in speakers corner, but I see now you can't help yourself but be someone super nice and lovely to have around. Who'd have thought.

Nope not really. You can achieve close to blur style effect, more in fact as you can select any colour you want, and any transparency you want, rather than just blur background and that's it.

And popularity in this situation does clearly indicate how good the app is, as it's not auto installed, like say chrome is, but an app people have to go out their way to get, and they do, and they stick with it.
I think you have me confused with someone else. Speakers Corner is well beyond my intellect. I stick to the commoners forums of, well, here, and GD...

Man of Honour
I've got a real problem not being able to write posts or reply on OCUK.
As soon as I start typing and get a few words in all the spacing goes out and I can have 10 lines between each sentence.
I have 5 browsers and all do the same.
The only way to post is type on a notepad then copy and paste.
My phone is an S21 Ultra just in case there is a setting somewhere.

Soldato
I've got a real problem not being able to write posts or reply on OCUK.
As soon as I start typing and get a few words in all the spacing goes out and I can have 10 lines between each sentence.
I have 5 browsers and all do the same.
The only way to post is type on a notepad then copy and paste.
My phone is an S21 Ultra just in case there is a setting somewhere.
I know it's a bit buggy on Firefox based browsers but I haven't had any issues with Chromium based ones.

In the reply box, press the 3 dot button next to the search icon on the top right, then press the [ ] button. It'll turn off the rich text editor into a basic one but I found in terms of compatibility it's pretty much bugless.

Man of Honour
I know it's a bit buggy on Firefox based browsers but I haven't had any issues with Chromium based ones.

In the reply box, press the 3 dot button next to the search icon on the top right, then press the [ ] button. It'll turn off the rich text editor into a basic one but I found in terms of compatibility it's pretty much bugless.

Worth a try.
Somebody replied on the S21 thread and I've changed my keyboard from the Samsung one and it's OK now.

Soldato
So sadly with the reddit api changes, a lot of 3rd party reddit apps are shutting down including the one I am using, sync.

Might just dump reddit entirely tbh as the default app is **** and I don't really browse reddit on my pc.
Same. Any alternative to reddit?

Maybe just using forums like this instead
Just noticed, ReVanced now supports Sync. Seems it relies on you setting your own keys so you can get away with the free tier API: https://www.reddit.com/r/revancedap...ync_for_reddit_after_june_12_with_the_latest/

However even then Reddit is blocking NSFW content from 3rd party apps, if that matters to you.

Don
It's almost like there's a dedicated thread for the Reddit Shenanigans

Last edited:
Man of Honour
On my S21 Ultra when I swipe right I get a news page that is apparently for my interests, when I go into the settings I see all those interests on the right but my question is:
How do I add more interests?

newsinterests.jpg

Associate
On my S21 Ultra when I swipe right I get a news page that is apparently for my interests, when I go into the settings I see all those interests on the right but my question is:
How do I add more interests?

...Snip...
Just had a look at this myself expecting it to be easy but I also can't find a way to add new interests. On mine there are no interests but lots of things I've had to mark as not interested (do not show articles from certain 'news' outlets for example).

Seeing as it's just Google and in the absence of an obvious way to add a new interest could you just do a few searches and try and nudge Google in the right direction? Once it starts suggesting something relevant in this feed I think you can hit the three dots and ask it to keep it as an interest or show more like this or something similar.

Sorry this isn't as helpful as I'd hoped!

Man of Honour
Just had a look at this myself expecting it to be easy but I also can't find a way to add new interests. On mine there are no interests but lots of things I've had to mark as not interested (do not show articles from certain 'news' outlets for example).

Seeing as it's just Google and in the absence of an obvious way to add a new interest could you just do a few searches and try and nudge Google in the right direction? Once it starts suggesting something relevant in this feed I think you can hit the three dots and ask it to keep it as an interest or show more like this or something similar.

Sorry this isn't as helpful as I'd hoped!

Some of my subjects I have no idea why they are there eg Led Zeppelin.
Yes I'm a massive fan but I can't think of any time I've been looking them up on Google.
I can't stand Guns N Roses but they are on my interests.

Associate
Some of my subjects I have no idea why they are there eg Led Zeppelin.
Yes I'm a massive fan but I can't think of any time I've been looking them up on Google.
I can't stand Guns N Roses but they are on my interests.
Could be pulling in from YouTube as well I suppose? If you've watched a Led Zeppelin vid and most people go on to watch GnR after say. Also I believe those videos that auto play in that feed count as (partly) watched in your YouTube history, so it could be self perpetuating if you've let one play without realising. Then again it might also be classed under the same overarching group of guitar for example? This is all just speculation from me but I can see how it cobbles together a list across the Google system.

Other things I've had to put as not interested on mine include a lot of NFL content or random celebrity names which I've certainly never even heard of let alone knowingly searched for or interacted with. Who knows how they found their way into the profile Google has on me, but I suppose knowing I don't want to hear about them is still data in the Google machine that they can sell to someone...

Man of Honour
Could be pulling in from YouTube as well I suppose? If you've watched a Led Zeppelin vid and most people go on to watch GnR after say. Also I believe those videos that auto play in that feed count as (partly) watched in your YouTube history, so it could be self perpetuating if you've let one play without realising. Then again it might also be classed under the same overarching group of guitar for example? This is all just speculation from me but I can see how it cobbles together a list across the Google system.

Other things I've had to put as not interested on mine include a lot of NFL content or random celebrity names which I've certainly never even heard of let alone knowingly searched for or interacted with. Who knows how they found their way into the profile Google has on me, but I suppose knowing I don't want to hear about them is still data in the Google machine that they can sell to someone...

It's funny you mention Google because if you go to Googler News and click on the FOR YOU tab that could be what is linking to the phone HOWEVER there is some stuff on my Google News that I have zero interest in eh Repair Shop, I've never watched it.

Associate
It's funny you mention Google because if you go to Googler News and click on the FOR YOU tab that could be what is linking to the phone HOWEVER there is some stuff on my Google News that I have zero interest in eh Repair Shop, I've never watched it.
Oh I thought this was Google news (possibly now called or merged with Discover?). Their own help article points to a setting called "your interests" which doesn't appear to be there any more. There are some suggestions on how to make changes through a browser though which might be worth following the links to. This is the main help page but I see it points elsewhere for more options: Help article link

Soldato
In visiting my mother this weekend, I found out she still relies on MS Word and is paying for Office 365. I was then upgrading her to the Family plan as my Aunt needs it too. The Family plan allows for up to 6 people, so I added myself too. It's kind of nice that you get 1TB each. I then realised I could maybe use OneDrive instead of Dropbox (mainly for the instant photo backup) as Dropbox is a little annoying with its limits on devices. If I get a new phone to review, I have to remove my main phone.

So, short version, how does OneDrive compare to Dropbox for use on Android and Windows?

Man of Honour
In visiting my mother this weekend, I found out she still relies on MS Word and is paying for Office 365. I was then upgrading her to the Family plan as my Aunt needs it too. The Family plan allows for up to 6 people, so I added myself too. It's kind of nice that you get 1TB each. I then realised I could maybe use OneDrive instead of Dropbox (mainly for the instant photo backup) as Dropbox is a little annoying with its limits on devices. If I get a new phone to review, I have to remove my main phone.

So, short version, how does OneDrive compare to Dropbox for use on Android and Windows?

A long time ago I switched to Google Docs and obviously Google's infrastructure which are all great for me and it's all free.
It also has instant photo backup and once again all free.
Perhaps look down that route.

This is a Google Doc I update every day https://bit.ly/3DEFah8

Soldato
Fold support is a aside, what features would features do you consider nova to be lacking? besides the Branch controversy, it's difficult to know why anybody would have an issue with nova.
Long time Nova user back in the day. But moved over to Samsung One UI when I noticed some of the animations were a bit buggy with the then most recent Andriod OS. Got a Fold and continued using One UI as it could display separate home screens for inner and outer screens.

Someone recommended Nova Yesterday and I decided to try it again. For me, it's not as good as Samsung One UI.
  • I use double tap to sleep and they still haven't fixed the issue of it flickering when the screen turns off
  • Can't manually rearrange apps/folders in the app draw
  • No Google Now on homescreen (Without installing another app from a 3rd party site)

Soldato
A long time ago I switched to Google Docs and obviously Google's infrastructure which are all great for me and it's all free.
It also has instant photo backup and once again all free.
Perhaps look down that route.
I have that, but I like with Dropbox/OneDrive I can have the actual file on my PC/laptop seconds after taking it.

Google Photos they're stored better for the long term, but Dropbox/OneDrive seems easier for almost instant use.

Back
Top Bottom