new F3 - some bad blocks

Soldato
i've had my 1tb F3 for a week and had some trouble last night - azureus finished a file and the check failed, couldn't read part of the data.
did a full chkdsk and it found a few bad blocks (4 i think) (all of which had azureus data on).
anyway, seems fine on boot up.
i have been playing fallout 3 whilst azureus was running and had a few crashes.
is this a problem?
or if i get no more bad blocks can i assume it will be fine?

Last edited:
Associate
I used to have problems with checks failing and it turned out to be the ram dying, its quick and easy to run memtest and will help eliminate another potential cause...

Associate
Run HD Tune and see what that says. As its new i would just RMA it. Samsung RMA through Rexo (Google it) who are really quick and easy to use. RMA'd a Spinpoint last week with a 72 hour turnaround

Soldato
OP
i'll do a surface scan in hdtune tonight then.

i would rather not rma it - i've already filled it with loads of stuff!
if its just a one off and not an indication that the drive will die then i'll be happy with that.

Soldato
Bad blocks on the disk is not a good sign as you probably already know. For me and from personal experience this will go 1 of 2 ways, the first the blocks when you received the disk were just about readable and with use just simply became unreadable, the other which is normally what I've seen happen is that more and more start to go bad, so you end up losing more and more data.

Personally and I know it'll be a right royal pain, I'd do a full scan on the drive every week for the next few weeks to see which way it's going.

Soldato
OP
well, o&o shows the marked bad blocks (12 in total) and hdtune only finds the bad ones already marked and i've had no trouble since.

as it happened on only areas with azureus files and i had a crash whilst downloading - i'm pretty sure its a one off and i'm going to stick with it.
everything is backed up and any sign of new problems and it will be rma'd.

Soldato
OP
Are you going to ask for a replacement or refund?

replacement - i still need a 1tb hard drive and you would think this is a rare occurrence.
in fact i don't think i've ever had this problem in the many many hard drives i've owned over the years and nobody else seems to have a problem with the new F3's.

Associate
replacement - i still need a 1tb hard drive and you would think this is a rare occurrence.
in fact i don't think i've ever had this problem in the many many hard drives i've owned over the years and nobody else seems to have a problem with the new F3's.

You've got bad blocks on the first wave of F3's OCUK have got in stock and you're going to ask for a replacement, and not look for an alternative?
I'm not going to bother advising people to buy WD drives over Samsung anymore. I'm just wasting my breath.

Good luck with your replacement mate, however long it lasts. *laughs hysterically*

Soldato
You've got bad blocks on the first wave of F3's OCUK have got in stock and you're going to ask for a replacement, and not look for an alternative?
I'm not going to bother advising people to buy WD drives over Samsung anymore. I'm just wasting my breath.

Good luck with your replacement mate, however long it lasts. *laughs hysterically*

I've had plenty of WD's fail on me over the years, same with Seagates, Maxtors, Hitachi, Samsungs.
Unless you can give me some independantly verified statistics proving WD are significantly more reliable as far as i'm concerned all their consumer 7200rpm drives are about the same.

Back
Top Bottom