New Gaming PC planned for April - Advice welcomed

Associate
OP
I am going to go with the 4080S, hopefully by the time the vram is an issue I'll be able to upgrade for around the same money, at worse it will be a cpu & gpu. Just waiting for OC to get back to me, typically it looks like the cooler is OOS so might have to go with the one with no rgb which is no biggie really.

Associate
OP
Well 3 things now out of stock and OC have a large queue of mails, phoned up on Monday to make sure they got my mail and they said it would be in the next day or two to get back to me. Hopefully they'll get some more stock in soon. Was hoping to get it sorted by bank holiday weekend but I think it will be after that now. Once you decide to pull the trigger its a pain when it jams !!

Associate
Well 3 things now out of stock and OC have a large queue of mails, phoned up on Monday to make sure they got my mail and they said it would be in the next day or two to get back to me. Hopefully they'll get some more stock in soon. Was hoping to get it sorted by bank holiday weekend but I think it will be after that now. Once you decide to pull the trigger its a pain when it jams !!
it'll come quickly I'm sure. will be a beast of a rig, now I've had another look. Only change I'd make is get the rgb version of the g skill trident ram, seeing as you've got rgb case, aio cooler and rgb on the gpu. £8.99 more. you know it'll make your pc run faster :cry: :cry:.
My basket at OcUK:

Total: £248.99 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

Associate
OP
it'll come quickly I'm sure. will be a beast of a rig, now I've had another look. Only change I'd make is get the rgb version of the g skill trident ram, seeing as you've got rgb case, aio cooler and rgb on the gpu. £8.99 more. you know it'll make your pc run faster :cry: :cry:.
My basket at OcUK:

Total: £248.99 (includes delivery: £0.00)​
Ok you twisted my arm, new ram in the bag, going to be rented out to rave's at this rate !!

Any thoughts on the motherboard? I've been reading that Asus boards can be a bit debatable, but the internet is a nightmare. Do like the specs of it and struggling to find one with the same specs for around the same money

Associate
Ok you twisted my arm, new ram in the bag, going to be rented out to rave's at this rate !!

Any thoughts on the motherboard? I've been reading that Asus boards can be a bit debatable, but the internet is a nightmare. Do like the specs of it and struggling to find one with the same specs for around the same money
I've got the b650e-e gaming board. Recently had a memory problem which happened exactly same time my TV did an update. Luckily the board has a debug led display so knew what the problem was once I looked up the code. Ended up clearing CMOS and retraining memory.
Been rock solid apart from that. Got it and the7800x3d before the CPU blowing up saga. Guessing you'll be on new bios. Once I updated mine it dropped voltage to the CPU to 1.24v, well below the 1.3, and so got no complaints.
It performs well, runs cool, has upgradeability with pcie5 gpu and nvme, and lastly looks good.
Went with the strix as my b550 was the e-e version too and it hasn't put a foot wrong.nearly went with the MSI x670 carbon, but couldn't justify the extra cost(wanted the led debug display)

Associate
OP
Got the quote in and I'm happy with it so just waiting on the ram being changed and then I will pull the trigger. oh and waiting for the artic liquid 3 to come back in to stock

Associate
OP
Well all ordered now after having to change the psu as it as the SHIFT would have struggled in the case and then the replacement due to stock issues and 2tb m2 to stock issues, oh and me nearly changing my mind back to the xtx.

Should be ready when I'm back off my holiday. Thanks for all the help
.. .

Associate
OP
Arrived today, set up was easy, will have a fiddle over the next couple of days but so far so good, looking forward to giving it a run out tonight. I'll be back for hints and tips over the next few days !!!!

Associate
OP
I can't seem to get it to run EXPO which is a shame. Struggling to find a solution via the Web, where is the best place for a novice to ask?

Associate
I can't seem to get it to run EXPO which is a shame. Struggling to find a solution via the Web, where is the best place for a novice to ask?
What seems to be the problem?
Make sure your mobo is on the latest bios..later versions have made strides in improving ram stability
if that fails worth contacting OCuk and saying you ram refusing to run at expo stated speeds...being an expo kit, it's meant to really guarantee that. you can ask it to be swapped for another set

Associate
in meantime you could try clearing cmos and making pc do memory learning again and try enable expo again
If that fails next I would manually adjust the expo setting and lower the speed from 6000 to 5800 and see if that helps..if that fails, drop to 5600 until it's stable...at least then you'll be getting better than stock speed until you can talk to OCuk about it

Associate
OP
When I set it to expo it boots into safe mode, so I set it back to auto and it's back to being fine. Ram is running at 4800 (I think) I'm going to try expo II today or tomorrow and see if that works. I haven't done anything to the CPU so I'm not sure if I need to do something with that first. I'm also struggling to find what timings it's running at in AMD Master, looks like CL (40) -tRCD (40) -tRP (can't find) -tRAS (RAD Active time ?) (77) -CMD . I am horribly out of my depth with this stuff as I never buggered about with RAM before, I was hoping it would run out of the box.

Associate
OP
Try a single stick of memory and see if you can enable expo.

Download memtest and run to see if you have a faulty stick.
Im getting a usb stick delivered tomorrow to update the bios, expo 1 & expo 2 don't work. Ran memtest64 but it wouldn't let me allocate all the memory, the memory it did allocate didn't have any issues. Will update the bios and see if that works, then will try taking the sticks out and testing single ones but that bothers me a bit being a new machine. Timespy score is 24k but im guessing ram plays no part in that

Man of Honour
Im getting a usb stick delivered tomorrow to update the bios, expo 1 & expo 2 don't work. Ran memtest64 but it wouldn't let me allocate all the memory, the memory it did allocate didn't have any issues. Will update the bios and see if that works, then will try taking the sticks out and testing single ones but that bothers me a bit being a new machine. Timespy score is 24k but im guessing ram plays no part in that
Understandable your concerned but once the bios is up to date you can then investigate further if needed.

You should still see if you can get one stick to run at 6000mhz before updating the bios

Associate

quick view on redit with someone having same problem with the asus board and gskill 64gb 6000 ram...maybe worth a try

i actually managed to fix this believe it or not, the tings i did for anyone coming by this thread:

outside of the bios:
- made sure to update all my drivers through the asus motherboard site itself

things i changed in bios:
-enabled expo1
- CPU Soc voltage --> auto to 1.2v
- CPU VDDIO / MC Voltage --> Auto to 1.3
- VDDP Voltage --> Auto to 0.95
- DRAM VDD Voltage --> Auto to 1.4
- DRAM VDDQ Voltage --> Auto to 1.3
- PMIC Voltages --> Auto to Sync all PMIC's (possible that this is already set this way)
- Memory VDD voltage --> Auto to 1.4
- Memory VDDQ Voltage --> Auto to 1.3
- Power down enable --> Auto to disabled (advanced settings, best to look this up)
- Memory context restore --> Auto to disabled (advanced settings, best to look this up)

with these settings it should boot fast, and be stable (tested with memtest86)

and he goyt 4 replies below

Dude, dude, duuuudeee!!! THANK YOU FOR THIS! I’ve had a same problem for a week already and another guy saw your comment, linked it to my post and IT WORKS!!!
I can't believe it, so happy to have found this comment! Worked for me as well! You are the best!
You just saved me $130 on a new ram kit
You are a saviour. Finally got it to post at 6000

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well I thought the above thing had worked after black screen and then safe mode, started from exiting. Booted up fine, ram running at 6000mhz. Restarted and now black screen and can't get into safe mode on bios, tried the turning it on and off 3 times and nothing PC on but just black screen. Proper stuck

Back
Top Bottom