New Gaming PC planned for April - Advice welcomed

Man of Honour
Well I thought the above thing had worked after black screen and then safe mode, started from exiting. Booted up fine, ram running at 6000mhz. Restarted and now black screen and can't get into safe mode on bios, tried the turning it on and off 3 times and nothing PC on but just black screen. Proper stuck
Maybe reset the CMOS on the motherboard, power off and take out the battery and short pins clear cmos.

Page 28 of the manual

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Maybe reset the CMOS on the motherboard, power off and take out the battery and short pins clear cmos.

Page 28 of the manual
Thanks Micky, it's got me back to the original settings it shipped with. No yellow light on the MB now that it had the black screen. At least I know how to get back to this state now. I think the list of steps on the previous page almost worked, as when I got into safe mode after changing them and exited without changing anything it went to windows and the ram was running at 6000mhz but then when I tried to restart it wouldn't. Tempted to try and manually set the timings rather than try the expo and the changes, but I also think contacting ocuk is probably the best idea. If only the ram worked out of the box !!!

Associate
Sorry to hear that. Yeah, I'd clear cmos and reset everything. I'd still try reducing the speed from 6000 to 5800 to see if that's stable also...I also just checked the asus support for the b650e-f and say supports 64gb gskill ram running 6000, but timing of 32-38-38-96...after enabling expo, you could manually loosen timings...but 1st would be keep timings and just drop speed to 5800, then 5600 until it's stable and boots
I think at this point I'd also be considering ringing OCuk and sending the ram back, as it doesn't seem to run at stated speed, and that's what you're paying for, otherwise you might as well buy the cheaper stuff. Either swap it, or try the corsair 6000c30. Not too sure OCuk sell the corsair 64gb kits so potentially refund and buy the kit elsewhere

Man of Honour
Thanks Micky, it's got me back to the original settings it shipped with. No yellow light on the MB now that it had the black screen. At least I know how to get back to this state now. I think the list of steps on the previous page almost worked, as when I got into safe mode after changing them and exited without changing anything it went to windows and the ram was running at 6000mhz but then when I tried to restart it wouldn't. Tempted to try and manually set the timings rather than try the expo and the changes, but I also think contacting ocuk is probably the best idea. If only the ram worked out of the box !!!
Try manually and Maybe add a touch more voltage but if problems persist contact Overclockers and see if you can swap the ram even if it has looser timmings to see if it's stable.

Let's us now how you get on

Associate
OP
if I go the manual route, is it just a case of setting it to 6000mhz and then changing the timings from the current 40 40 40 77 to 30 40 40 96 ?

Man of Honour
if I go the manual route, is it just a case of setting it to 6000mhz and then changing the timings from the current 40 40 40 77 to 30 40 40 96 ?
If you mean without using EXPO at all, it is complicated because EXPO/XMP often does a lot more than just change the DRAM voltage, frequency and timings on AM5.

Associate
OP
Seems to be all sorted after speaking to Ash at Overclockers, was just a case of loading the bios profile which I think we both expected to be loaded at launch but wasn't. So simple when you look at it now lol think clearing the CMOS took it all back to so I was able to load the profile that was originally installed. Thanks to everyone who spent the time to try and help me and give me ideas, from the builds inception to Ramgate, genuinely can't thank you all enough. I can leave you all in peace now and play some games. I'll be back in 5 yrs to ask about updating it lol

Man of Honour
Seems to be all sorted after speaking to Ash at Overclockers, was just a case of loading the bios profile which I think we both expected to be loaded at launch but wasn't. So simple when you look at it now lol think clearing the CMOS took it all back to so I was able to load the profile that was originally installed. Thanks to everyone who spent the time to try and help me and give me ideas, from the builds inception to Ramgate, genuinely can't thank you all enough. I can leave you all in peace now and play some games. I'll be back in 5 yrs to ask about updating it lol
Did OCUK build it for you, or do you mean like an EXPO profile? Bit confused how it fixed it. But since you're good now, I guess it doesn't matter anyway.

Associate
OP
OCUK built it, they set a profile on the bios, they expected their settings to be running off the bat as they set every PC up before sending it out. For some reason I don't think it was loaded when I got it (possibly on default board bios settings). Ram said it was running at 4800mhz. Tried turning expo on and that's when things didn't run properly, booting to safe mode etc, pc would boot when on the default settings so I kept it at that while I tried all the options above. After email exchange they said to load the profile and here we are, all working.

Soldato
OCUK built it, they set a profile on the bios, they expected their settings to be running off the bat as they set every PC up before sending it out. For some reason I don't think it was loaded when I got it (possibly on default board bios settings). Ram said it was running at 4800mhz. Tried turning expo on and that's when things didn't run properly, booting to safe mode etc, pc would boot when on the default settings so I kept it at that while I tried all the options above. After email exchange they said to load the profile and here we are, all working.
Wonder why they never updated bios before sending it to you. Think when you updated it yourself, you would have lost the profile.

Good to hear you got it sorted now though.

Associate
OP
Wonder why they never updated bios before sending it to you. Think when you updated it yourself, you would have lost the profile.

Good to hear you got it sorted now though.
That's what I thought. I did wonder that clearing the cmos, may have reverted it to the original profile save that it shipped with.

Back
Top Bottom