New Gaming Rig Build Please! 06/07/2015

Associate
OP
Stu you around I need to paste two images here off my mobo and psu so can ask you if ive made the right connections! :) was sat up till 5 am last night finally got it all together built and sorted then needed sleep before testing! so gonna test at dinner time heres where i put things 2 secs just find how to post pics

Associate
OP
Below is an image of my motherboard the colour codes are as follows:
Dark Blue - My Mobo + CPU Power Connections
Light Blue - USB 3.0 Front case connection and usb 2.0 front case connection
Red - Obv RAM Slots used these are correct yeah?
Burgundy - Case audio cable (assuming for the front 2 ports)
Purple - GFX Card Slot
Yellow - CPU fan port
Pink - SATA Port used for SSD (is this the correct one to use or should I be using a different one or doesn't it matter?)
Black - these are the cables that were from my case and are plugged in as follows from top left its PLED+ then PLED- then the POWER SW 2pin, then from bottom left, HD+, HD-, then RESET SW 2pin. (are these all correct?)
Green - Sound Card Slot from old pc is it needed or should I use my mobos audio heres the card (Asus Xonar DGX 5.1 PCI-Express Sound Card with built in Headphone Amp)
E3Odzvp.png

Associate
OP
And here are my PSU connections just wanting to check they are all ok, does it matter what socket each connection goes into as long as it is the right pin for the connection like for instance it doesn't matter which of the 4 PCI-E slots you use they all give the same power output? as I just went for the ones that helped the most with cable tidyness! :)
these are color coded as follows:
Blue - 2 Mobo connections, then the CPU Connection.
Purple - 2x PCI-E power slots for GFX card (it does used two seperate ones correct? as each cable had 2 connections on it but I assumed it cant use its piggyback power unit and will just need two individual cable connections)
Pink - My Sata power cable connection.
Red - My fan power cable (case has a fan controller built in round the back that I wasn't expected so will this just need the 1 4 pin connection that is left to be powered to power it up? no connection anything from the fan controller to the MOBO?
EryVike.png

Associate
OP
I await your reply to all my questions and to see if I have wired everything in the correct places! please take time to answer all my questions whether its you replying STU or somebody else just passing by helping me out, I haven't built in a long time so didn't wanna power it up without confirmation that all ive done is okay! cheers mate I appreciate you taking your time!

Associate
OP
oh and with the external optical drive I bought for installing windows, will I just be able to plug this straight into one of the top case usbs and install windows straight off to the SSD? or will I have to go into BIOS and change my SSD to ahci or whatever it is you have to do? I appreciate your feedback! and await a response hopefully before I go home for dinner at 12! :)

Associate
OP
thanks stu appreciate it another guy mentioned in a seperate post where I asked about it that the SATA may run faster higher up? is this true for my motherboard or are the ports its in just fine? didn't know myself ha :')

Associate
OP
thanks stu I appreciate it i think this is my last question but no doubt it won't be with overclocking my system will the cpu you recommended keep it cool enough? as ash from OC said I should get a better one if im ocing but im assuming the one you recommended you thought was good enough?

and is an AIO CPU watercooler literally nothing else needed adding and no maintenance for it needed as i may eventually go that way if i do get into overclocking properly but atm my system is good enough for me.. been getting random black screen that happens for 1-2 seconds then goes back to what i was doing?

bailey seems to think this is my mobo that needs its BIOS updating maybe?

Associate
OP
ah so maybe upgrade to an AIO later in the comps life? or if i ever want to go very far watercooled? yeah i bought the EVGA if you say its good i believe you, dont suppose you've got a point by point guide for qflashing to update the BIOS? i assume I need a USB, what you mean the xmp profile on the ram what does it need to be set to?

Associate
OP
mines not overclocked at all yet anyway?

should I be trying to overclock it? never thought to bother yet really hah

been getting this sound issue not sure if you'd know what you were doing with it I asked bailey in customer support he pointed me at sound city and ther suggested could be the GFX card but cant erally afford to be sending it off waiting for a replacement lol

heres my sound issue..

Associate
OP
Hey guys the customer service forum Bailey told me to message you guys here for advice so here goes..

okay so my issue is my sound, everything works completely fine and normal with no static or whining when im on normal desktop or browsing the web, as soon as I load up a game client the speaker starts making this whining sound my pc is silent and fine but the speakers are making this sound, yet if I plug my headset into the front port jack to use instead of the speaker and turn the speaker off the sound suddenly goes away and doesn't play through the headset, it did disappear yesterday as a problem but then came back!
Is this a problem with the audio jack to 3.5mm wire im using? as i tried two different wires, and surely it should be able to manage this connection as my last pc was outdated and very old and I never had any whining issues at all from the speakers? so I don't understand why this new system would be doing it.

after reading around I hear it could be a graphics card issue or something maybe? I dunno I came here for techie help tbh there's my problem what do you think..?

EDIT: actually it is there in normal desktop mode just it needs the speaker turning up very loud to hear it, although once on a game it is just there to be heard at normal sound levels.

Associate
OP
okies do i need to set the USB up to fat32 or anything like that if so how do i do that haha? told you im a noob! or is it fine to just stick it on a normal usb as the only thing on there?

Associate
OP
Stu what temp should my cores be at on the CPU during gameplay such as CS:GO?

just been sat at like 50-55 on each core I believe checking via speedfan, wasn't sure if this seemed very high?

Associate
OP
just an update.. I think the sound issue was just the amplifier that was attached via the pc as when using headsets I have zero problem with this background noise, which leads me to believe that its the amp itself!

also I added 2 dell ultrasharps to the setup instead of the AOC monitor I originally picked.

Im considering building a cheaper second rig at my desk so there's a spare for GF + friends.. im assuming my 980TI is more than good enough graphics card wise for my pc? im considering switching out my MOBO + RAM + CPU + CPU cooler and throwing them into another rig, then getting myself a better CPU with a better mobo better RAM and maybe an AIO cpu cooler? what would you recommend stu? im not really an overclocker and haven't even overclocked any of this stuff as I wouldn't have a clue where to start, I noticed my temps are a little higher than id like them to be but maybe this is down to the h440 not having massively good airflow case wise? could you suggest me either a new case for my system as if I use a new one on mine ill use the h440 on the second rig!

Back
Top Bottom