New Gaming Rig Build Please! 06/07/2015

Associate
OLD POST - http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18672096
'Okay copy and pasted aboveis a link to my last thread, as I made a thread and was answered by stulid, my brother in law got his build and it was much appreciated! now onto my build'

So...

I had my baby boy hes 9 months old, finances are far better, and my old old gaming rig that I built myself back about 7 years ago has finally died and admitted defeat to new games! so this will be a COMPLETELY fresh build.

- Budget £1500 (can be under can be over just spec me something that I can start to look at as I want to order this week!)
- No mouse and keyboard needed. (suggestions are welcome but i will buy this later as I have some that will work for now.)
- I already have my old 24" monitor will look into upgrades for this later, so no monitor needed.
- NO OS is needed. (already got windows 7 + product key, and will probably upgrade to windows 10 when its released fully as its free!)
-Case Needed. (would love for someone to recommend the case all the recommended components will fit in and everything i would need so I could literally find their fully explained list hit buy and build this machine!)
-Almost forgot AIR COOLED please! I hate the idea of a watercooled setup If PC's these days need them then fair enough I just hate the idea of it, and would prefer air if its still possible to keep it quiet with air!

I play a game that many of you may not of heard of Called 'Lineage 2' generally want to be able to load 3-5 clients without issues of lag or anything which I could still load 2-3 on my old 4gb ram ddr2 build so im assuming a new one will do this with ease anyway...

other games I would like to be able to play on their highest settings include GTA, Witcher, Elder Scrolls, Fallout 4 when its available! and all the other games around these specs so yeah guys spec me something serious!

Ide prefer not to have to upgrade for hopefully as long as my last although I think I was lucky with my last to be able to go so long..

I may look to overclock it further down the line if it ever starts to become slow although ive never done this and never overclocked at all on my previous pc so this isn't important to me unless you guys think its something im missing out on doing for extra performance.. but I think jumping from what I had to whats available now is going to be a serious boost that will shock me tbh!

Ide like an SSD + HD Combo (1tb/2tb HD for storage not one of those eco things)

OLD PC SPECS so you can see what I was working with..
ASUS M2R32-MVP 580X CrossFire Socket AM2 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ (3.2 GHz) Socket AM2 L2 2MB (2x1MB)
the above components were replaced with the below two, as my friend had finished with them so I thought they were better than what I had! :)
MOBO - NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI
CPU - INTEL CORE 2 QUAD CPU Q6600 @ 2.4GHZ
Ram - 4GB DDRII 800Mhz RAM
HDD - 500GB 7200rpm S-ATA2 Hard Drive
GFX - HD 3850 1GB GDDR3 Dual DVI HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card

I appreciate this is a long read sorry guys but yeah spec away! :)

Associate
OP
C'mon Stulid waiting for you to pop into this thread as you helped me last time! :D

p.s. everybody else is welcome to suggest things too I would like comparisons!!

Associate
OP
I Knew you wouldn't be far away! :D

which of the two you recommend the most? and which of the two cases you think would be better? will all of the components recommended fit in the cases? and which of the cases would you say is better for cooling as the one I had currently was running a little hot obviously due to the age and how bad the cooling on that one was.

do those cases come with all the fans for fitting or would i be better off order some extras, that would be better+quieter?

Ill call myself a novice at pc builds but I may recruit my friend to come round and assistance once everything arrives so its a nice tidy build! :)

Associate
OP
ha brilliant so out of them all which would you recommend? the first or the second? im not fussed for small as it'll just be put into the slot for my tower under my desk so space isn't an issue, although i may change that and place it ontop of my desk haven't really decided yet but for now it'll be under i like the gfx card recommendation seen people raving over those so assume they'll be good, is there no point going better mobo+cpu and getting ddr4 or would these setups be more bang for the buck so to speak?

im edging more toward the nxzt case as I like the red/black colour scheme! :)

i seen the gigabyte 980 is like £20 more would you say its worth just paying the 20 more in the this week only deal? and would it be worth paying the £30 more on the RAM to get 16gb rather than 8?

Associate
OP
prefer the samsung ssd you have recommended so more than likely be option 1 or 2, is the cpu in the third better than the 1st and 2nd or will they all compare pretty much the same?

Associate
OP
the alpenform you've recommended is out of stock can you find a similar one, and hmm so would it be better to add the cpu and mobo from the 3rd into build 1 or build 2? and have that as the final setup?

Associate
OP
hmm think it would be worth waiting for the new cpu+boards or can you make me a build with..
the best 980ti from the 3 selections above whichever you picked and said was best out of the 3 you recommended..
the 500GB Samsung SSD from what you put above
would this ram be the same as the ddr4 you recommended?
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-423-CS&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=2553
as if it is ill pay the extra £10 just because it looks a little better! :)
erm the best cpu+mobo you recommended which i think is the one from the 3rd?

and then obviously a case that will fit it all and be the best for cooling! and the other little bits i need that are the best out of all the selections you made above so I have more of a FINAL checkout list if thats cool stu? sorry to take up your time and be such a noob ha! (don't mind that we've got overbudget if its going to do the job and be better for me for the forthcoming few years!) :)

Associate
OP
in fact oh wait sorry that I didn't see that list you put in your last comment, would it be safe to just go with that, then buy a new cpu+cooler+ram in a year or two's time when theres more available? and at more competitive prices? i mean im sure this setup youve put to me here that final one will work for me perfectly and be nice and cool for me yeah?

Associate
OP
so if i go with
YOUR BASKET
1 x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card £619.99
1 x Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7 - Devils Canyon Core i7 4790K CPU & Motherboard Bundle **£25 Saving** £373.98
1 x Samsung 500GB 850 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 32 Layer 3D V-NAND Solid State Drive (MZ-75E500B/EU) £155.99
1 x NZXT H440 Mid Tower Case - Black / Red £89.99
1 x TeamGroup Vulcan RED 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-19200C11 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit (TLRED316G2400HC11CDC01) £89.99
1 x XFX XTR 850W '80 Plus Gold' Fully Modular Power Supply £89.99
1 x Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6GB/s 64MB Cache - OEM (DT01ACA200) HDD £53.99
1 x ACX EVGA CPU cooler, Black - 120 mm £39.95
Total : £1,530.36 (includes shipping : £13.75 Ex.VAT).

would it be safe to just go with that, then buy a new cpu+cooler+ram in a year or two's time when theres more available? and at more competitive prices? i mean im sure this setup youve put to me here that final one will work for me perfectly and be nice and cool for me yeah?

Associate
OP
yeah the 980ti ive heard nothing but good things tbh and should do me for a number of years, and hmm well when it comes to overclocking i may be back to ask for advice would it be best to put off overclocking for a while or would you do it straight away with a new system? ive never overclocked before so never really felt a need for it or ever known if there was a performance increase or anything! :) i will be taking that pc you recommended me thanks for the recommendation anything I should know specifically setting it up when it all comes, I believe the SSD needs something set in the BIOS to be able to be used or something?

ooo theres a question how do i install windows without a DVDRW drive? :o do it through my port hdrive? :) told you ive never really been around pcs in a longg while! just tryna get back into it! :)

Associate
OP
Okay mate cheers I appreciate it one last noobdy question, which input should i use from gfx card to monitor for the best use of it? As i also plug run a wire to my pc

Associate
OP
so hdmi is best for the tv and the dvi/display port for the monitor? and ahh dont worry about that quartz be in a complete seperate non baby room! :)

Associate
OP
stu would i be better off taking the 850 evo 1TB and not bothering with the toshiba drive for storage? or would i be better getting 2 x 850 evo 500gbs? and using 1 for storage? instead of buying a standard HD for storage? as surely it will make less moving parts without a standard drive and less noise? and the evos whether it be 2 of them or just the 1 TB one would be faster?

Associate
OP
yeah i wasn't looking for toddler proof dw, i was saying is the case i suggested better for cooling? or is the one you suggested better? i want the best I can go for really to have plenty of air flowing around cool at that but would prefer to keep the dust out but im assuming thats done with positive air flow and cleaning the case every few weeks?

and as for my storage ive got a portable hard drive i store all my movies and that on and currently in my pc i believe I only have a 500gb HD, so if i was going to buy the 1TB samsung 850 evo would i be better getting that or the 2 x 500GB 850 evos? the 1tb is priced at £275 in the weekly offer atm?

Associate
OP
dunno if its worth me buying something with dust filters? but as I said it sits under my desk so would the case you picked or the one I picked be better for keeping it cooler / dust free / silent? :) sorry for all the questions I honestly appreciate your help so much! :)

Associate
OP
I do like the NZXT red/black case you suggested the most out of the lot tbh, but dont worry about sticking to a black/red theme, I only suggested the case I picked as it looked like it had better airflow management? would the one of the two NZXT cases do the job and run cool enough or should I just go with the one you suggested?

you've been an absolute godsend Stu I appreciate this! :)

Associate
OP
so the
Corsair Graphite 730T Full Tower Chassis - Black
is better than the
NZXT H630 Silent Ultra Enthusiast Tower Case - Matte Black
and has better airflow yeah?

oooh and also im gonna throw a monitor into this build now seems though I tend to play fps games and the 144hz would probably be the best option for me just not looking to spend a bomb whats your opinion on this monitor? is it good enough with my rig setup to get the best out of the gfx?
£173 in this weeks offer.
AOC G2460FQ 24" Widescreen 144Hz 1ms Gaming LED Monitor - Gunmetal
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-024-AO

Associate
OP
edit actually ignore this comment I don't like the phanteks looks, basically Stu im looking for you to recommend me a case that will looks smart enough but most important is good airflow so everythings goes to stay cool but I would prefer it to be quiet too if thats possible if not its not a major problem at all :) sorry i come from the pc I had which was a nightmare sound wise and when the fans packed up and stopped working obviously it was time to ship that pc to the graveyard after 8 years of being my slave! so yeah looking for a very well cooled setup, so if you could recommend a case then recommend the fans to add to the case to maximise fan useage i will literally just be putting the parts we listed above into it, if you can find a case that meets that criteria that would be awesome although I have fell in love with that NZXT H630 in black, but I don't know if this offers enough cooling for this build? your my judge on that..

once again sorry for all the questions just a noob wanting perfection first time round so I don't have to come back here for a whileee! :)

is this the phanteks you were on about?
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-003-PT&groupid=2362&catid=2277&subcat=0

looks really smart and a nice sleek design without a window actually may go with this if this is the one you ewre suggesting? does it matter if i get the window or not or is that literally just for showing off the internals?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom