New GT-R

Soldato
I can't agree with Tommy on his point about image as I thinks it's a somewhat weak argument. The image associated with the Skyline today and the M3 from E46 back is based on who drives them today, not who bought them when they were new. Its the same with the E39 M5 because as the price comes down and they become available to new audiances their image is associated with the current demographic, or should I say the odd one or two 'chavs' who may choose to own them, not the majority of people who are probably just enthusiasts now able to afford a car they have always wanted.
There's a good reason why you don't agree with Tommy, namely that he's wrong. That, and you've summed up nicely one of the reasons why.
For example, take two innocent-enough looking alphanumeric characters and put them together. For the purposes of this experiment we'll be using the letter "X" and the number "5".

Q. Add them together and what do you get?

A. Burberry and sovereign rings.

A great car, but difficult to own one and not look like a complete tool. Nothing to do with the vehicle itself, but more to do with the types of people who are buying them now they can be picked up for 1/4-1/5th of the new price.
The 'Datsun'
Showing your age ;)

Soldato
After reading many reviews, it seems to me this car would only be purchased by the true car enthusiast.

Which leaves the other 90% of the market to buy their 'status-symbol' vehicles, cars which whilst won't be able to outperform the GT-R, look a lot more beautiful and seem more powerful than they actually are.

I'm just thinking, imagine this car with an R8 body. Now that would be an absolute beast.

Edit - This is an amazing track car, but a GT2 still spanks it in the 1/4-mile time, and the 0-100 time.

Last edited:
Soldato
All non sat-nav cars (early delivery) cars have been sold. There is no more supply of these early delivery cars so the sat-nav now becomes standard and the price goes up.

New prices are Standard GT-R £54,800 Premium £56,100 Black £57,400

Service costs aren't meant to be that bad, but apparantly a new set of tyres will set you back £2000.

V-spec from the Nurburgring http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QEqTHC8pWU

:)

Soldato
After reading many reviews, it seems to me this car would only be purchased by the true car enthusiast.

Which leaves the other 90% of the market to buy their 'status-symbol' vehicles, cars which whilst won't be able to outperform the GT-R, look a lot more beautiful and seem more powerful than they actually are.

I'm just thinking, imagine this car with an R8 body. Now that would be an absolute beast.

Edit - This is an amazing track car, but a GT2 still spanks it in the 1/4-mile time, and the 0-100 time.

Id say more than 10% of the market are car enthusiasts to be honest. But neither of us have any figures to back our claims up.. unless you actually do?

How much is the GT2 going to cost tho?!!

Soldato
Id say more than 10% of the market are car enthusiasts to be honest. But neither of us have any figures to back our claims up.. unless you actually do?

How much is the GT2 going to cost tho?!!

erm 130k :p :D

The GT-R has grown on me a bit, I'll admit. However, I still hate the back. It's a shame because other than that it doesn't look too bad, it just has a fat ass.

Associate
After reading many reviews, it seems to me this car would only be purchased by the true car enthusiast...

You seem preoccupied with pigeon-holing the buyers ("chavs", "boy-racers"...now "enthusiasts" etc) which seems a bit odd. Depending on your interpretation, I fit none of the above.

I would disagree, it's never going to a great track car. Fast, yes, but I doubt truly rewarding on a track.

And comparing a £131,070 (base model) track-oriented Porsche to a fat, fully loaded GT-R at £54,800 seems a bit unfair, I know Nissan bought that unto themselves, but you do realise that you could have a new GT-R *and* a new R8 on your drive for the price of the GT2?

Anyway, I'm interested in what figures you are using for the GT2 times. I would expect the GT2 to be a wee bit faster, it's a stunning bit of kit.

Link?

Back
Top Bottom