New High-End Gaming Bundle Recommendations

Associate
Hi Guys,

I initially was going to upgrade my HTPC to a high end gaming machine, however after much discussion over in this topic:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18506092

I have now decided to keep my HTPC and gaming separate. Hence, I'm looking for a full range gaming bundle from computer to screen, inputs (mouse, keyboard etc..) and 7.1 headphones.

Im looking for good quality, that will last me for a few years at least and can be easily upgradeable should i wish too in the future!

Im mostly going to be using this machine for gaming, especially with the Oculus Rift VR Kit, but im also going to be using it for normal gaming (with ULTRA settings where possible) and also some game development in UDK and Unity.

Now main question that im sure your waiting for is BUDGET! :)

Now ideally i would like to keep costs down as much as possible, however im looking for around the £1000 mark, if required i can go over by a bit especially since im looking for the whole bundle and not just the computer!

As for PC Specs im looking for, ill try my best but will probably miss out a few points, so please just ask me any questions freely. Im hoping to purchase within the next 1-2 weeks, hence i want to make sure i choose everything correctly the first time even if it takes a few days to go over things.

One of the most important points is:
- The PC must be as quite as possible, i don't need absolute silence - but as the machine will be sitting in a Home Cinema Room, hence it should be as quite as it can be.

Motherboard: No idea on this. Just that it should be future proof.
CPU: As good as i can get really.
Graphics Card: Absolute minimum would be either Nvidia gfx660ti or ATI 7950. But would like as high as possible.
Storage: Min 120gb SSD (high speed, quite).
Secondary Storage: N/A - dont need as only just purchased a 1TB WD green HDD for the HTPC Upgrade, will be putting this into this machine now instead.
RAM: Would like 16gb.
Sound: 7.1 Dolby should be supported for wireless 7.1 headphones, and atleast 5.1 surround sound should be supported to an external AV Receiver. Onboard card is fine if it can support this.
Outputs: I want to MIRROR to 3 screens here. 1) AV Receiver (has to be via HDMI - video and 5.1 audio). 2) The monitor. 3) Oculus Rift screen (can be hdmi or VGA/DVI).
Headphones: Has to be of high quality offering superb sound, as the Oculus Rift will be using this for the audio, hence needs to be as immersive as possible! Also should be wireless (chargeable) and have 7.1 surround sound.
Optical Drive: A bluray reader would be nice otherwise a dvd writer would have to do.
Fans, Coolers: Not sure, just as long as the machine is nice and quite. It would be cool to have the glowing lights coming out all over the place. But these should have the option to be turned off completely, as wouldn't want them on while PC is in sleep mode or something and we are sitting in a darkened home cinema room watching a film on the projector.

Case: As nice looking as possible, the note about the LED lights above also apply to the case.
Monitor: One area where im confused currently, I'm not sure if i should go widescreen and/or 3D! Do i need these for gaming? Do i need to have the 3D monitor for Oculus Rift? (i dont think so as the OR should handle that).
Probably looking at around the 20-25" screen, and it should look nice sitting in the home cinema room.

Im not really a computer hardware literate (a programmer) so i would prefer if the computer arrived to me Pre-Built, i can do a few small parts changing in the case but nothing like build the machine from scratch.

Thank you guys, hopefully you can find something out there for me! Ive tried to provide as much information as possible, but let me know if i left something out.

Thanks you.

Soldato
YOUR BASKET
1 x EVGA GeForce GTX 660TI SuperClocked 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card £233.99
1 x Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor (77W) - Retail £189.95
1 x Logitech G930 7.1 Surround Sound Wireless USB Headset £111.98
1 x BenQ GW2250E 21.5" Widescreen LED Monitor - Black £99.95
1 x Samsung 120GB SSD 840 SATA 6Gb/s Basic - (MZ-7TD120BW) £89.99
1 x Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard £89.99
1 x Asus BC-12B1ST BluRay-Rom / DVD-RW Drive OEM £63.98
1 x Zalman Z9 Plus Tower Case with Fan Controller - Black £49.99
2 x Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C8 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (PXD38G1600LLK) £39.95 (£79.90)
1 x Alpenföhn Matterhorn Pure Edition CPU Cooler (Socket 775 / 1155 / 1156 / 1366 / AM2 / AM2+ / AM3 / FM1 / FM2) £29.99
Total : £1,056.20 (includes shipping : £13.75).

sorry this took a while was playing league of legends with a few mates, its slightly over but it has everything you asked, the case has blue LED fans which at night light the place up like mad and also the inside of the case, (i'll get you a photo later tonight) it will do everything you asked 7:1 surround sound wireless headset monitor and it will do 3 way monitors only thing is you will need to put the computer to sleep to turn the led fans off but i think you stated that

Associate
OP
YOUR BASKET
1 x EVGA GeForce GTX 660TI SuperClocked 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card £233.99
1 x Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor (77W) - Retail £189.95
1 x Logitech G930 7.1 Surround Sound Wireless USB Headset £111.98
1 x BenQ GW2250E 21.5" Widescreen LED Monitor - Black £99.95
1 x Samsung 120GB SSD 840 SATA 6Gb/s Basic - (MZ-7TD120BW) £89.99
1 x Asus BC-12B1ST BluRay-Rom / DVD-RW Drive OEM £63.98
1 x Zalman Z9 Plus Tower Case with Fan Controller - Black £49.99
2 x Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C8 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (PXD38G1600LLK) £39.95 (£79.90)
1 x Alpenföhn Matterhorn Pure Edition CPU Cooler (Socket 775 / 1155 / 1156 / 1366 / AM2 / AM2+ / AM3 / FM1 / FM2) £29.99
Total : £1,056.20 (includes shipping : £13.75).

sorry this took a while was playing league of legends with a few mates, its slightly over but it has everything you asked, the case has blue LED fans which at night light the place up like mad and also the inside of the case, (i'll get you a photo later tonight) it will do everything you asked 7:1 surround sound wireless headset monitor and it will do 3 way monitors only thing is you will need to put the computer to sleep to turn the led fans off but i think you stated that

Not at all, thanks a lot. The reply back was still pretty fast :D - Also because its including the monitor aswell going over the 1k mark is fine.

OK, I have been over all the bits and pieces, i have a few questions and parts that may require changing.

1. Does the case come with a PSU? As i cant see it stated and its not in the list of parts.

2.The case is really mind blowing, but im slightly worried that it might light the whole room up (when in use) and distract from watching a movie in the cinema room on the projector. Is there a way to turn the lights off whenever i want? or do they always stay on?

2a. If they always stay on, is this the same with all the light up fans and cases?

2b. If it is same for all cases, then will probably need to change to a case that does not have so many lights coming out of it but still looks very cool. (black preference just like this one).

3. You said that this motherboard will support up to 3 monitors on mirror mode. However, how does that work? As i only see one HDMI on its back?

4. You picked 4x4gb RAM cards to make 16gb, but is it better for me to pick 2x8gb cards kit instead incase of a future upgrade (although i doubt you would upgrade above 16gb) - or is it better to go with 4 cards at 4gb each?

5. I just wanted to know how the Logitech 7.1 headphone compares to this headset:

Corsair Vengeance 2000 Wireless 7.1 Professional Gaming Headset
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SP-014-CS

Thanks for your help!

Soldato
1. Does the case come with a PSU? As i cant see it stated and its not in the list of parts.
No it doesn't see i'm having a derp moment and haven't included one which i will fix

2.The case is really mind blowing, but im slightly worried that it might light the whole room up (when in use) and distract from watching a movie in the cinema room on the projector. Is there a way to turn the lights off whenever i want? or do they always stay on?

2a. If they always stay on, is this the same with all the light up fans and cases?

2b. If it is same for all cases, then will probably need to change to a case that does not have so many lights coming out of it but still looks very cool. (black preference just like this one).
You can get a fan controller (the one included with that case doesnt allow for this) which will allow you to turn the fans off i'll spec one but otherwise the fans will stay on and if the room is black it will light the room up btw here's the pic
IMAG0039.jpg

its bright but you don't notice it, you will only really notice it with the lights off and no monitors on, with my monitors on they are brighter than the blue light and so you don't see it on the walls or anything, i assume this is the same for a home cinema.

this case http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-056-ZA&groupid=2362&catid=736
is the same one with a window instead, it will have a blue led fan in the front and top and so everything will light up blue inside and i will spec a fan controller to turn them off.
3. You said that this motherboard will support up to 3 monitors on mirror mode. However, how does that work? As i only see one HDMI on its back?
the 3 way mirror will be done by the g-card there are about 5 connections on the g-card and you can power 3 monitors off the one card.
4. You picked 4x4gb RAM cards to make 16gb, but is it better for me to pick 2x8gb cards kit instead incase of a future upgrade (although i doubt you would upgrade above 16gb) - or is it better to go with 4 cards at 4gb each?
2x8gb would only use up one channel bandwidth wise whereas 4x4gb sticks would use 2 channels spreading the memory usage over 2 channels meaning if you are say video encoding the ram wouldn't slow down the encoding down due to there only being 1 channel to use. by channel i mean if you'll see on the Motherboard there are 2 colours for the ram slots one blue and one white those are channels A and B. tbh 16gb will last, i hvae 16gb and to me it is a waste i never use above 7gb but if your vdeo encoding 16gb would help.
5. I just wanted to know how the Logitech 7.1 headphone compares to this headset:

Corsair Vengeance 2000 Wireless 7.1 Professional Gaming Headset
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SP-014-CS
I have used neither headset would be your choice as both do the same thing reviews are the way to judge i have a set of turtle beaches which i think are just stereo, so i dont know what 7:1 surround sound is like
Thanks for your help!
no problem i have quite enjoyed speccing and discussing this with you

Soldato
Potential to xfire in the future, should you require to do so. Have not included headphones, as I don`t ever use them, so cannot truly advise as to which is better.

YOUR BASKET
1 x HIS HD 7950 IceQ BOOST 3072MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (H795QC3G2M) £239.99
1 x Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor (77W) - OEM £179.99
1 x Gigabyte Z77X-D3H Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard £112.99
1 x Samsung S23B300BS 23" Widescreen LED Monitor - Glossy Black £107.99
1 x Toshiba SSD HG5D Series 7mm 128GB Solid State Hard Drive - (THNSNH128GCST) £94.99
1 x XFX 750W XXX Edition Modular '80 Plus Silver' Power Supply £83.99
1 x GeIL Black Dragon 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C11 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (GD316GB1600C11DC) **OcUK Exclusive** £79.99
1 x Corsair Carbide 200R Compact ATX Case - Black £49.99
1 x Phanteks PH-TC12DX CPU Cooler - Silver (Socket 775 / 1150 / 1155 / 1156 / 1366 / 2011 / AM2 / AM2+ / AM3 / FM1 / FM2) £39.98
1 x OcUK 24x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black) - OEM £19.99
Total : £1,024.90 (includes shipping : £12.50).

Single card.

YOUR BASKET
1 x HIS HD 7950 IceQ BOOST 3072MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (H795QC3G2M) £239.99
1 x Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor (77W) - OEM £179.99
1 x Samsung S23B300BS 23" Widescreen LED Monitor - Glossy Black £107.99
1 x Toshiba SSD HG5D Series 7mm 128GB Solid State Hard Drive - (THNSNH128GCST) £94.99
1 x GeIL Black Dragon 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C11 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (GD316GB1600C11DC) **OcUK Exclusive** £79.99
1 x Corsair Builder Series CX 500w Modular '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply (CP-9020059-UK) £54.98
1 x Corsair Carbide 200R Compact ATX Case - Black £49.99
1 x Phanteks PH-TC12DX CPU Cooler - Silver (Socket 775 / 1150 / 1155 / 1156 / 1366 / 2011 / AM2 / AM2+ / AM3 / FM1 / FM2) £39.98
1 x Liteon IHOS104-06 4x BD-ROM (Black) - OEM £34.99
Total : £986.39 (includes shipping : £11.25).

Associate
OP
@Leprechaun312, thank you for answering my questions. Its definitely helped clear a few things up that i was unclear about earlier!

@Idleman, thanks for your input as well. Its nice to have some different choices available to choose from.

I have to say its really rather addictive going through and choosing all these PC parts! :D

Give me till tomorrow, I'm going to go through them all and see what works best! I have to say though that i see myself extending the budget slightly to change some of these parts to slightly better ones :(
(maybe things like the monitor and even the graphics card! im thinking to go either with the gfx670 or the ATI 7970 instead).

One thing i forgot to ask guys, does these prices youve shown include the building of the machine from OC? and is there any benefit of me going for an i7 processor instead of an i5?

Soldato
@Leprechaun312, thank you for answering my questions. Its definitely helped clear a few things up that i was unclear about earlier!

@Idleman, thanks for your input as well. Its nice to have some different choices available to choose from.

I have to say its really rather addictive going through and choosing all these PC parts! :D
No problem as i said before i have enjoyed the dicussion
Give me till tomorrow, I'm going to go through them all and see what works best! I have to say though that i see myself extending the budget slightly to change some of these parts to slightly better ones :(
(maybe things like the monitor and even the graphics card! im thinking to go either with the gfx670 or the ATI 7970 instead).
either of those cards are nice choices...i would give you anandtech benchmarks but the 7970 benches are wrong.
One thing i forgot to ask guys, does these prices youve shown include the building of the machine from OC? and is there any benefit of me going for an i7 processor instead of an i5?
those don't include building costs i will put in a post tomorrow to bailey and ask 1. if they would do it and 2. how much it would cost

i7 vs i5 gaming wise there is minimal difference maybe 5 fps, video encoding or high cpu intensive tasks the i7 wins due to hyper threading, here are some benchmarks http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/551?vs=701 as you can see gaming wise they are very similar but in the 3d modelling tasks the i7 wins but tbh it's 100 pounds of difference.

Soldato
If you want OCUK to build it for you, then you need to use the configurator when you decide on the parts you want. This will cost more than if you build it yourself. The other option is to buy one of their gaming systems and make alterations if need be. You will still need to add headphones, keyboard and mouse to the final bill.
Whichever mobo you get, you can always add a sound card later, if you feel the onboard sound is not good enough for you.

Associate
OP
OK thanks guys, thats a shame. Anyway im using the Configurator now. Trying to bare in mind that i want as quite a system as possible and hence it should also be pretty cool inside.

Will spec one out and post the results here, to see if anything needs changing!

One thing though - when i run the Configurator. Should i choose an Extreme Gaming PC case or a Silent Gaming PC Case?

I think it should be the silent one right?

Thanks.

Associate
OP
Really struggling to find a case thats as good as that Z9 to be honest! :(

The next best one that ive liked is this: NZXT Phantom 410 Midi-Tower Case - Black - Noise Dampened

But it doesnt have the fan control on the front like the Z9 and doesnt have the temperature showing either!

Soldato
i understand you said you would prefer to get one prebuilt as you wouldn't feel confortable building it yourself but would you be ok putting in a fan controller? it would go above or below the blu-ray drive and all you would have to do is screw in 2 screws and attach the 2-3 fans to the fan controller the fans have a small connecter and it just slides into a connector on the fan controller

Associate
OP
Awesome, but how do i get that zero charge? I can put the fan controller in myself, should be ok - although preference would be to get it ready and working on arrival!

Is the zero charge only on using the Configurator tool? I really want the Z9 case as i think its the best one out of the silent options available!

EDIT: Actually i did find these cases that look nice also, however they are double in price from the z9. Out of the three which would you recommend:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-095-NX&tool=5

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-072-CS

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-008-AD

Last edited:
Soldato
If silence is a priority, I would`nt be looking for a case with a window in it.
I have the Antec P280, with the side panels on, the only thing I hear is a gentle hum from the fans and that`s bearly noticeable. When I am gaming, I turn the fans up and still the noise level is acceptable and I am sat right beside it. And when I am watching movies or football on the TV, I don`t even notice. I don`t have a fan controller as I monitor the fans with software. Although there is a controller of sorts at the rear of the case I don`t use it.

Associate
OP
If silence is a priority, I would`nt be looking for a case with a window in it.
I have the Antec P280, with the side panels on, the only thing I hear is a gentle hum from the fans and that`s bearly noticeable. When I am gaming, I turn the fans up and still the noise level is acceptable and I am sat right beside it. And when I am watching movies or football on the TV, I don`t even notice. I don`t have a fan controller as I monitor the fans with software. Although there is a controller of sorts at the rear of the case I don`t use it.

Cool, with this fans monitoring software, can you turn the fans off aswell? (ie. which should also turn there lights off when not needed!) or does it only monitor and give you no control over them?

I looked at that case, the Antec P280 looks nice, i checked on over clockers and its a shame that they dont do it in Noise Dampening version, otherwise would have gone for it!

Back
Top Bottom