New job, buying new car, something reliable

Soldato
Apparently some people ride around on two wheeled contraptions called motorbikes that are even more dangerous! How these people expect to survive without 2 tonnes of steel wrapped around them, ABS, traction control, stability control and brake assist I just don't understand. Imagine having to consider your own safety when driving, they must be mad.

Im referring to the age and general lack of basic safety features on the car. The exposed wheels being the obvious one. Im not talking about ABS etc etc etc that you have decided to rant on about. Oh and motorcyclists, well generally they are only going to hurt themselves, that beast on the other hand......

Dont stereotype me, less sarcasm and directed anger in the furture please :o

Last edited:
Soldato
Dont stereotype me, less sarcasm and directed anger in the furture please :o

There is no anger here, I'm not getting worked up about anything. I may have stretched the point about electronic aids, but the point is it's as safe as the driver makes it. In a crash he is ultimately very likely to come off worse (as per a bike), so it's in his interests to try actively avoid those risks. Modern cars drivers generally have negative active safety programmed into their brains, they feel safe and protected and isolated from the road so they often take risks that someone is a less modern car simply wouldn't. Risk balancing.

Man of Honour
Nice try, but I'm not saying :)

I see, just posted here for an ego massage then eh? ;)

You either paid a ridiculously huge amount of money for it and can't be bothered with people asking why, or they are actually really cheap and don't want to ruin the mystery of the rare and exotic car. Not sure which it is really.

Nobody is asking you to tell us exactly what you paid for it - just a ballpark figure for this type of car. Why not, its interesting and relevent to the discussion. It's not like a Golf where we can just ask Parkers what we'd need if we fancied a similar one.

Why would you NOT want to discuss aspects of your new toy?

Associate
[TW]Fox;14965232 said:
I see, just posted here for an ego massage then eh? ;)

You either paid a ridiculously huge amount of money for it and can't be bothered with people asking why, or they are actually really cheap and don't want to ruin the mystery of the rare and exotic car. Not sure which it is really.

Nobody is asking you to tell us exactly what you paid for it - just a ballpark figure for this type of car. Why not, its interesting and relevent to the discussion. It's not like a Golf where we can just ask Parkers what we'd need if we fancied a similar one.

Why would you NOT want to discuss aspects of your new toy?

They are not cheap but prices for hotrods can be all over the place depending on what it was built from and what engine it has. I would guess it was between £6000-£8000.

Soldato
And you guessed bang on the numbers touge, lower end of that scale. Besides, the ad is still on all the hotrod forums if the OcUK police really wanted to find it :D

That was far too easy. Took me less than 1 minute...

That is a amazing price for something as epic as that! Wish I was able to do one justice and restore/keep it running!

Soldato
1927. That's 82 years old. Wow :D

What are the performance figures like? How does it compare to something vaguely modern? I'm genuinely intrigued.. I can't really think of a bad thing to say tbh :D Except that you might get wet if it rains :p

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
It doesn't compare. It drives like a stripped down 30's car with a 1940's engine, an early clunky 5-speed box and better brakes. Probably about 110-120hp and 200-250lbs of torque so it's got plenty of go, especially with all the gears and a tall back end. Sat at 80 no problem with a lot more to go so I reckon it would top out at about 110. It's nowhere near as fast as my Anglia but it's got a lot more pull and it's fiercely loud :p

Soldato
It doesn't compare. It drives like a stripped down 30's car with a 1940's engine, an early clunky 5-speed box and better brakes. Probably about 110-120hp and 200-250lbs of torque so it's got plenty of go, especially with all the gears and a tall back end. Sat at 80 no problem with a lot more to go so I reckon it would top out at about 110. It's nowhere near as fast as my Anglia but it's got a lot more pull and it's fiercely loud :p

Would love to hear it. Any chance of a video?

Do the brakes work OK? Comparable to a modern car doing stopping quickly?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
[TW]Fox;14967489 said:
What does it weigh?
I think, probably just a shade under a tonne. Not much to the car, but the engine and box are heavy and the body is tubed out under the panels.

Would love to hear it. Any chance of a video?

Do the brakes work OK? Comparable to a modern car doing stopping quickly?
Going to get a video as soon as I can.

It's got 12" hydraulic drums all round and a hidden servo so the brakes are totally adequate. Round town you wouldn't know any different and I haven't had a chance to put them to the test on the motorway yet.

Back
Top Bottom