** NEW LG MONITORS - INCLUDING 2 EXCLUSIVE TO OCUK!!! **

Associate
I think I’ve decided to go for the Pg279q I’ve seen it in a store today and it looked great
Literally just got the Acer XB271HU for 479. Same panel as the PG279Q and the price made it a direct competitor to the LG850 for me...

We'll see how the 4ms response time compares but I think the XL2420T I'm coming from was already closer to 5ms than the 1 that it claimed. If not, I'll return that and join the queue for the March shipment I guess!!

Wish I'd seen the 83a but it never appeared in my searches. Just seen the Black Friday price..... :O

Last edited:
Associate
They're al
What a legend, you just knocked over £100 off the price of my build and arguably got me a better monitor. How did you notice that so quickly haha?

Imagine putting that as a black friday deal, they must be mad. It'll be out of stock by tomorrow morning I'd bet.
As predicted, they're all gone. A retailer could've tapped them out at that price, I mean that must be close to wholesale. Either that or the lurkers on this forum did the job haha.

Associate
Is it such a big deal not having the ability to update the firmware, if it's good out of the box what's the problem?

If you're happy with everything then just stop. Stop checking for something to annoy, for maybe a slight colour variant or some other stuff. Unsubscribe from this thread and never look back!

That said, I believe it makes the OSD more responsive or something. Haven't upgraded myself

Associate
Read above that a Games console uses the DCI-P3 gamut. Will my son not be able to use this with his XBOX ONE X then as we are only planning on getting him the PC for his birthday?

thanks

Associate
Sorry to as again but:
Read above that a Games console uses the DCI-P3 gamut. Will my son not be able to use this with his XBOX ONE X then as we are only planning on getting him the PC for his birthday?

Associate
Sorry to as again but:
You're fine, although not many games on Xbox One X take advantage of 1440p. The menus will run natively at that resolution though I believe.

With regards to a pc, I recommend you do your research and buy the compenents separately. For 1440p I'd recommend a 2070 super if you want to somewhat future proof the build. I'm getting a 2080 super personally but money is no object for mine, within reason.

Associate
Sorry to as again but:

Should be fine. I played around with the Playstation Pro on my LG 27GL850 yesterday without issue. As most games will be targeting 1080p and/or 4k, you are going to have to live with resolution scaling. The Playstation defaulted to 4k, but I forced it to 1080p, as I prefer the extra performance. The "scaling up" to 1440p look pretty good to my eyes, and nowhere near as "soft" as I feared it might be; it's also helped by the fact that you sit further away from the monitor when playing with a controller.

If you really do want a "screen" that does DCI-P3 and "true HDR", then you are probably best looking at a TV for console use. Mind you, with PS5 and the next XBOX out in a year, you'd probably want a TV/monitor with "full" HDMI 2.1 support, which I don't believe any do at the moment. In other words, just get the LG if it suits you needs now; whatever tech. you buy, it will always be superseded buy something better! :D

Associate
Is it such a big deal not having the ability to update the firmware, if it's good out of the box what's the problem?

They apparently put fixes into the VRR amongst other fixes. With Nvidia and AMD continuing to mature this tech. and others in their drivers, I'm sure there are more tweaks to come from the monitor manufacturers along the way. I'd rather have a device that can be upgraded to support future upgrades and fixes.

As the BIOS on my brand new 27GL850 was already out-of-date, I guess the one in the 83A will be out-of-date too. Do you really want to be "stuck" with an old BIOS from day one of ownership, should the 83A not be upgradable? I personally wouldn't, but hey, that's just me. I'd wait and see if we get a reply from LG about it's upgradability before jumping for it.

Associate
Should be fine. I played around with the Playstation Pro on my LG 27GL850 yesterday without issue. As most games will be targeting 1080p and/or 4k, you are going to have to live with resolution scaling. The Playstation defaulted to 4k, but I forced it to 1080p, as I prefer the extra performance. The "scaling up" to 1440p look pretty good to my eyes, and nowhere near as "soft" as I feared it might be; it's also helped by the fact that you sit further away from the monitor when playing with a controller.

If you really do want a "screen" that does DCI-P3 and "true HDR", then you are probably best looking at a TV for console use. Mind you, with PS5 and the next XBOX out in a year, you'd probably want a TV/monitor with "full" HDMI 2.1 support, which I don't believe any do at the moment. In other words, just get the LG if it suits you needs now; whatever tech. you buy, it will always be superseded buy something better! :D

Soldato
Been using the monitor last night in Apex, COD and WOW. The colours are just ridiculously good. Best ive had in an IPS screen.

The clarity in the distance in games has gone up a level for me, can see more, more easily at range.

Smooth gameplay as expected with G-sync compatibility, just all round impressed.

I wouldnt hesitate in buying from anywhere that has stock. here within 2 working days, no daed pixels very little IPS glow or BLB, nailed it.

Associate
Can’t argue with that. Tempted to get my sons pc early now, in order to take advantage of the 144 give XBOX1X won’t support.
im a bit of a novice for knowing what I need. Is it just the case of getting a good graphics card 1660 Ti good enough?

Associate
Thanks.
Tbh, using the X box is temporary until he gets his pc in a few months.
I have a B8 LG OLED That it works with superbly at the mo. Cherfz
The Xbox becomes superfluous once you get a pc. Every Xbox exclusive is marketed as a 'Microsoft exclusive' now, meaning that you can play them all on pc at much higher settings.

Playstation has some excellent exclusives that are only on their platforms though, so I will likely get a PS5 next year and a 4K monitor to go with it but that's ages away.

Associate
So the best option would be sell the XBOX one X now whilst it has a high value in order to fund the pc purchase. And if we want a next Gen console in the future, opt for PS5?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
So the best option would be sell the XBOX one X now whilst it has a high value in order to fund the pc purchase. And if we want a next Gen console in the future, opt for PS5?

You won't get much, XBox One X will be heavily discounted in black Friday sales. I've seen £290 with a AAA game brand new already.

Back
Top Bottom