New member? New build! Shinobi XL white + orange

Soldato
Shinobi XL white + orange, nearing the end.

hey guys, gonna stick up what im doing so i can share it around a little, first time doing a build log so lets see what happens!

The Idea.

Well, i frequent a few different LANS around the UK, big and small, and havnt seen many white and orange computers, thought id change it. Ive not got a great deal to spend on it really, so ive had to sacrifice some of what i wanted for this reason.

Components

BitFenix Shinobi XL Full Tower Gaming Windowed Case - White

Gigabyte Z77X-UP7 Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard (waiting for stock on this =( )

OcUK Tech Lab H2O Custom GTX 680 2048MB GDDR5

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.50GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor (77W) - OEM

NZXT Hale Power 90+ 850W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-14900C9 1866MHz Dual Channel Kit ( x 2 )

XSPC EX360 Crossflow Radiator

XSPC RayStorm CPU WaterBlock

XSPC X2O 750 Dual 5.25” Bay Reservoir Pump

XSPC Razor GTX680 GPU Waterblock

BitFenix Recon Internet-Connected Fan Controller

Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm 1850 RPM ( x3 )

and to top it off....

BitFenix Logo for Shinobi Tower Case - Orange

Ive bought everything so far other than the motherboard that im waiting to get in stock!

Il try and update on what i do as and when i do it, but obviously progress will be slow due to no mobo!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
What ive done so far...

When looking at how (and where) i wanted to fit the radiator i came across a problem, if i fit the fans and rad inside the case, at the top, i was going to lose at least 1 drive bay and cut the second in half, effectively making it useful only for something like a fan controller or card reader or something. Its not like i need all 5 bays, but id prefer to use the top ones and leave the bottom ones blank.

With tubing on the rad, i might even lose more space (i didnt test this, but it would be tight i reckon) . This is how i solved the problem, freeing up all 5 bays again (top one useful only for the fan controller)

After popping the top panel off the case, i noticed there is a gap between the lid and the panel, i measured it and it looked like i had about 26mm space between the mesh and the case. Its long enough to house 3 fans and JUST has enough space for then to fit under. However there are reinforcement bars in place.

The mesh on the case btw is really easy to remove, just a few little 'tabs' that you can just bend over and then pull.

topbefore.jpg

Using my fake dremel (hey, some people aint made of money) i cut out the middle of supports and checked to make sure everything fit.

topafter.jpg

fansinplace.jpg

One thing i didnt really think off were the 30mm screws that come with the XSPC radiator have rather large heads on them, so when i replaced the mesh these DO touch, and also lift the mesh slightly. (im not too fussed as it gives it the support that the case had originally.

fansandmeshinplace.jpg

meshclearance.jpg

I also have changed all the LEDs that XSPC give you with their stuff, you get 2 leads with 3mm LED with the GFX card block, 2 with the CPU block and 1 with a 5mm LED with the reservoir. I swapped the 3mm ones with orange, and the 5mm one with white.

My home made 'helping hands' - really dont work properly =(

[
solderj.jpg

I really like the orange LEDs once they are in place!

nowwithaddedorange.jpg

Ive sent my black radiator cover off to be powder coated white, so just testing it with the silver at the moment, also going to coat the bitfenix Recon better (atm its just spray painted, also its not screwed in yet, so it looks a little funny.

fancontrol.jpg

Questions for you guys!

Anywhere i can get 30mm screws that would fit the radiator that have flat heads so they sit flush with the fans??

Any improvements i could make ?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well, i thought id cut the holes in the top of the case today for the fans, thinking more airflows gotta be good airflow right?

drew a circle using one of the fans as a template

20120928100803.jpg

cut it out, and tested it against the fan, its good enough for me!

20120928100851.jpg

copied the circle on to the case...

20120928101401.jpg

Did a little bit of this (ooooou sparks fireworks!)

20120928101953.jpg

Ended up with this! on the third fan i did (the one closest to the front of the case) i left the thicker piece of metal in, there wouldnt be much holding the top from bowing else (was my thinking anyway) it only looses a few mm either way.

20120928104620.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
cheers guys, just a little update, ive ordered some cable sleeving, so that i dont have horrible cables that wont go with the colour scheme!

ive gone for some orange and some white, so whilst i wait for that to arrive i thought id take all the connectors off my PSU.

20121001120314.jpg

nothing else to report just yet!

Soldato
OP
epic work so far man, looking forward to the finished thing :)

cheers man!

Good job on braiding the cables, how long did it took you?

well, thats just a pile of braiding on that pic, ive done about 4 hours worth today, and done a grand total of 18 wires....

I broke my atx pin removal tool, so really struggled with some of the pins using a tiny bit of wire slowing me down a lot (il order a new one tomorrow so i can get it all done quickly) and also due to the colours ive used i have to wrap each wire in white electrical tape else the colour of the wires could bleed through (only really noticeable when using flash photography, or looking closely, but id rather do it right haha)

heres how far i got through the 24pin,,,,

dscf3454f.jpg

Associate
That braiding looks really good! The colours are really vibrant, I'm sure it will be worth the effort. is this your first time?

Soldato
OP
That braiding looks really good! The colours are really vibrant, I'm sure it will be worth the effort. is this your first time?

not my first build, but my first one for around 8/9 years so theres a lot of things now that i didn't have previously! ive never used water cooling for instance!

as soon as my new tools arrive, il get back to it, and it should be a lot quicker having the correct equipment!

Soldato
OP
well... folks.... its finally arrived into the store!!!

the gigabyte z77x-up7!!!!

As im working away from home for the next 5 nights, i wont be able to start doing anything with it till wednesday, but heres a few pictures to show you what its like!

they are crap pictures, taken from my phone, in my dads spare room, but if you want specific ones, or better ones, let me know and il get them sorted!

All tucked away in its box...

20121005124312.jpg

Getting a little fresh air....

20121005124340.jpg

oooh, more things in the box...

20121005124407.jpg

LOTS of things in the box.... (il go through these at the end)
20121005125015.jpg

esata with 4pin molex and a front USB3 panel, probably wont use the USB panel, but at least its there!
20121005125133.jpg

The board
20121005125952.jpg

Sexy Bits....
20121005125633.jpg

20121005125818.jpg

On board OC controls
20121005125853.jpg

Right, in the box, you get, the board (obviously) 2,3 and 4 way sli bridges, 2 way crossfire bridge, a wireless and bluetooth card, an esata back panel, a USB3 3.5" front panel, 2 desktop antennas for the wireless, 6 sata 6gb cables, 2 esata to sata cables some pins for checking voltages, driver discs and manuals!!

made the box rather big to get home on my motorbike ( i litterally had to strap it to my back using bungee cords and a bag strap to the amusment of rjkoneill ) , but its here, looking sexy and waiting to be used on wednesday when im home! I cant wait!

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
Im glad you made it how without issue mate

In honesty, i expected you to look like this on the way home :p...

21j2c74.jpg

Soldato
OP
well got to actually build some of this yesterday!!

20121010151450.jpg

20121010192115.jpg

20121011074851.jpg

Il be getting some dye for the orange coolant, as its more murky peach than orange. Micheal from Mayhem has been most helpful though and is helping me resolve this!

Obviously i have a lot of cable management to do, and a lot of sleeving to do, but i wanted to see what wires i was actually using, and what i could get rid of.

well, i had gone this far, i might aswell test it properly hadnt i?

2012101109295401.jpg

Appologies about the state of my desk, ive shoved all my paperwork to the outside to make room for the monitors ( a new desk is being purchased soon) and everything else i was using haha. when ive finished my build il be cleaning up a little!

Associate
Looks great cant wait to see it once you have done the cables.

You have the same issue with the Orange coolant as I have/had, Micheal from Mayhems has helped me sort it out and after a little play around you will get it just right.

Very jealous of that board if only there were more options for orange.

Soldato
OP
haha, yeah, i need to have some real time off work before i do the wires properly, i want to either cut the wires im not using from my PSU or desolder them from the PCB depending on how they are attached, so i need a good day or 2 to do everything.... luckily im off for a few days soon, so might have to do it then :D

Back
Top Bottom