New member? New build! Shinobi XL white + orange

Soldato
OP
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG a small update, wasnt really going to bother posting this, as its nothing much, but its something at least!!!!!!

I was home yesterday so thought id do a bit on my computer!

I wanted to sleeve all the USB 3 cables, that lead to the top of the case, but came across these.....

20121201174141.jpg

first thing i did was cut off the secondary usb 2plugs, as i dont need them. These were soldered to a PCB at the other end.

i didn't really want to cut the cables and then resolder, so i thought id desolder the USB ports from the PCB, ,

i ended up with this:
20121201174059.jpg

the sleeve went on alright, however even after stretching the shrinkwrap was very tight, so i got a craft knife out, and cut some of the horrible corners from the usb port.

20121201181826.jpg

1 down 5 more to go!!

20121201183236.jpg

after some time i ended up with this

20121201210258.jpg

and also this!!!

20121201210247.jpg

i know it doesn't seem like a big job at all, but this took absolutely ages i'd estimate around 4 or 5 hours, maybe longer!!!!!,

1) because i had a really crap soldering iron
2) the usb ports were just too big
3) with 2 wires going into the 1 big plug i couldnt really get the shrinkwrap go to the very end.

I'm very happy with the results now though (i did re-do some of the heatshrink after i noticed on the photos that the sleeve was too long at the bottom, and the shrink wasnt done properly)

i have also bought this....

20121220114013.jpg

ive got an idea.... can you guess what?

Associate
i48 is the insomnia series of Lan parties. I went to i2 and i3, never been back :)

Cracking build btw, looks amazing. I would have gone yellow, orange and black myself but looks good.

Soldato
i48 would be the 48th insomnia lan party in the UK. Was, and i'm pretty sure, still is the largest UK lan party event, they tend to hold a couple each year now, i remember going when it was down at newbury race course, then up to stonleigh, think it's telford direction these days, not been for a couple of years :(

On topic: as much as i'm not a fan of white or orange builds (personal preference) the work you've done is pretty sweet, i'll point the missus here when she decides to mod her midi shinobi ^_^

Associate
Looks brilliant so far.

How does the CPU block perform, what are temps at full load?

Also when you take the mobo main power lead apart, how the hell do you know which way they go back once sleeved?

Soldato
OP
sorry ive not posted here guys, didnt even realise it had replies since i posted last!!!

Nickolp1974 - as people have already said, its a big LAN at the moment its in telford, its a great laugh, ive been since i19 (not every one mind) and i just go for the social side of it more than the gaming, however i did promise id take my new computer down.

Kins - the only reason i went for white/orange is due to me not seen (m)any before. nearly always black and orange, or have some other colour to stop it looking plain, im really happy how its actually panned out, next build i want to use venom green somewhere though!

V|per - Thanks buddy, if everyone liked the same thing we would be pretty boring huh! appreciate the nice words!

*Rich* - tbh, ive not really checked, the max over the last 2 days been playing quite a few games and such, but obviously not loaded it is 34c. it is however stock, so im sure that will change!!!

as for the power cables, ive missed quite a few updates ive noticed, so il stick up the PSU pictures when ive grabbed them from my phone, and as for getting all the cables back in, the sleeve doesnt quite go right up to the end (the heatshrink needs to cling to the wire) so you just do one at a time, and remember which colour it is!!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
after *Rich* commented about the PSU cables, i realised id missed that whole section from the buildlog, so here are are some pictures from when i did it.

first of all, i got this.
20121019110022.jpg

who needs a warranty (as it happened me nearly, as i did mess up at one point with a dodgy bit of cable crimping!!!)

20121019110254.jpg

then i just cut all the wires i didnt want coming from the PSU, i knew if i was going to sleeve them, it adds a lot of width to the wire, so they wouldnt all fit in the casing of the PSU without some dremel work.

20121019111652.jpg

then, crimp the cables, bang the connectors back on, and put them in the empty spaces inside the PSU (this way, if i do actually need them in the future i can just make a few extensions and im all set to go!)

I also shortened the 24pin cable right down so it only just creeps up the back of the mobo.

20121019120634.jpg

Then sleeve all the cables that were left (just the 24 pin and the mobo power cables). I did want to sleeve all the cables from the PSU to the mobo BUT when i started doing this, i just couldnt get the psu to look "tidy" so i used some sata cable, and did the wires in bundles of 4. i really like the look of the chunky sleeving. On the 24 pin i had to use an extension to get the look of the cables i wanted going into my mobo header (i know i know, boo hiss at using an extension, but i just didnt want single cables from the psu, so its serving a purpose!! :p)

20121121110056.jpg

Sorry that this post is so far back from the recent stuff, but as il be doing more sleeving today when the girlfriend goes work i suppose its kind of relevant!

Associate
Oh sweet jes! If it was black and green I'd totally steal that bad boy ;)

Awesome job :D Thanks for the ideas too!

I fell in love with the Shinobi shortly after spotting it and then -had- to have one, gotta love my V|per for buying me one for Christmas, so after I get the rest of the parts I need I might share my first personal build with you all, it'll be green and black (Black windowless mini shinobi is awesome) The mesh in mine will hopefully be a toxic green when I get to building :D

Soldato
OP
Oh sweet jes! If it was black and green I'd totally steal that bad boy ;)

Awesome job :D Thanks for the ideas too!

I fell in love with the Shinobi shortly after spotting it and then -had- to have one, gotta love my V|per for buying me one for Christmas, so after I get the rest of the parts I need I might share my first personal build with you all, it'll be green and black (Black windowless mini shinobi is awesome) The mesh in mine will hopefully be a toxic green when I get to building :D

Funnily enough, I asked for a sample of some toxic green sleeving when I ordered my last batch, it looks amazing! I if I remember il send you a pic of it later!

Thanks panyan, unfortunately I couldn't go all the way to the mobo with the sleeving like that due to shrink wrapping the ends, and but if I figure out a way of doing it, the next PSU il have it all like that!

Associate
Thanks for info regarding temps and cable management.

The 24 pin cable does look really good like that with just four main wires, makes it look really neat.

How's the rest coming on? Anymore updates?

Associate
I own the same case and I have a few fans coming in a couple of days to add to the top, would cutting the holes in the uppercase like you have be that beneficial?

Back
Top Bottom